Is self propulsion worth it on a lawn mower

I am in the market for a new lawn mower and I am wondering if self propulsion is worth the extra money. This Ryobi 40v is the one I am considering buying since I am already in the Ryobi 40v family of OPE. I am wondering if this is worth it over the non self propelled version which is about $120.00 cheaper. My lawn is about 1/4 acre and relatively (but not completely) flat.  

I initially invested in the $200 Robi 16in mower. I would avoid this mower. It cut good but the handle was really loose causing it to be about two feet of the ground. The 20 in looks like it doesn't have that problem. If you have a small years you probably don't need the self propelled model. I have the ego 56v push mower that is not self propelled and it is easier to push than my old gas model that was still propelled. I don't think there is a noticeable power difference between the two brands so your might as well stick with what you are already invested in.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

Get the Ryobi 40v brushless 20" mower. It will be well worth it over the 16", in time spent cutting alone.

I think you are misunderstanding me. The issue is not between the 16" or 20" but rather between the 20" self propelled or 20" non self propelled.

I personally do not like self propelled lawn movers. They are Much more expensive, heavier, bulkier, much less nimble, and just overall less enjoyable to use IMO. Plus the self propelled system is the first thing to give you trouble and the most expensive to fix. 

I seem to be a minority on the issue though 

If I were buying a push mower today it would be one of these:

http://m.powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrs216pka

or 

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/7021p/961330030/

Probably the Husqvarna because it has the larger rear wheels and the bagging system. Both have the same Honda engine.

2 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

If I were buying a push mower today it would be one of these:

http://m.powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrs216pka

or 

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/lawn-mowers/7021p/961330030/

Probably the Husqvarna because it has the larger rear wheels and the bagging system. Both have the same Honda engine.

Thanks for the advice, but I would prefer an electric mower. Gas is overkill for the size of my property and I like the easy maintenance and compact storage that an electric mower offers. 

52 minutes ago, cliu said:

Thanks for the advice, but I would prefer an electric mower. Gas is overkill for the size of my property and I like the easy maintenance and compact storage that an electric mower offers. 

I'm jealous. I spent 7 hours yesterday mowing and trimming. Everything was so out of whack where I was out of town and it rained every day for a month. 

My toro personal pace is a good mower. It took a bit to get used to but its great. I don't find the self propulsion to make the mower less nimble or bulky. I would much rather have a mower with self propulsion than one without. I would recommend the ego self propelled with steel deck. I have always used a mower with a metal deck. I don't know how well a plastic deck will hold up. I wouldn't get a 16 in push mower. It is just too small. I could get out the string trimmer if I want to cut that small

On 5/17/2017 at 1:59 PM, cliu said:

I am in the market for a new lawn mower and I am wondering if self propulsion is worth the extra money. This Ryobi 40v is the one I am considering buying since I am already in the Ryobi 40v family of OPE. I am wondering if this is worth it over the non self propelled version which is about $120.00 cheaper. My lawn is about 1/4 acre and relatively (but not completely) flat.  

Get the self propelled you won't regret it.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:32 PM, Conductor562 said:

I personally do not like self propelled lawn movers. They are Much more expensive, heavier, bulkier, much less nimble, and just overall less enjoyable to use IMO. Plus the self propelled system is the first thing to give you trouble and the most expensive to fix. 

I seem to be a minority on the issue though 

You sound like I need to get off your lawn, lol. :lol:

On 5/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, Hugh Jass said:

You sound like I need to get off your lawn, lol. :lol:

Nah, I'm not obsessive over my lawn. I live in the country, I have 4 kids, 3 outside dogs, and my wife babysits, so the pristine lawn is a pipe dream until the kids grow up and the dogs die.

I'm just really particular about my equipment I guess. I certainly understand why some people prefer SP mowers, I just don't care for them. 

SP push mowers, curved shaft weedeaters, any weedeater with a detachable shaft designed to accept attachments, front tine tillers, corded hedge trimmers.....these are all things that annoy me.

Three mowings, a hillside, the battery does not die and the self propelled unit for my lawn is not missed. My Honda had it, I loved it but it is so darn light it doesn't really make a difference. Great power in this mower ?

• Like 2