Lithium ion power packs

jay1028

I recently purchased a Ryobi weed eater and a Dewalt leaf bower.  Both run on Lithium ion packs. The Dewalt pack (20v/ 5ah) gets pretty warm, warmer than I would like, when charging in the supplied DCB115 charger,  Probably due to its fast charge capability.  After doing some research, I have noticed that when a pack fails, it is always due to one or two bad cells in the pack.  I am wondering if these chargers  use cell balancing when charging.  It is leading me to beleive that these chargers are just charging and not minitoring or balancing each cell so that they all get the same charge. Does anyone have any input on how these chargers operate and your experiences?

Thanks

The dewalt battery packs are sealed and don't let the heat out as good as other brands like the Bosch coolpack batteries but you've nothing to worry about as the charger you mentioned isn't a fast charger it's only 4 amp which is not fast like the Bosch 8 amp or makita 9 amp chargers !
This is due to the sealed packs they can't be charged as fast as they don't vent the heat , don't worry about it they will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, jay1028 said:

I recently purchased a Ryobi weed eater and a Dewalt leaf bower.  Both run on Lithium ion packs. The Dewalt pack (20v/ 5ah) gets pretty warm, warmer than I would like, when charging in the supplied DCB115 charger,  Probably due to its fast charge capability.  After doing some research, I have noticed that when a pack fails, it is always due to one or two bad cells in the pack.  I am wondering if these chargers  use cell balancing when charging.  It is leading me to beleive that these chargers are just charging and not minitoring or balancing each cell so that they all get the same charge. Does anyone have any input on how these chargers operate and your experiences?

Thanks

DeWalt employs balance charging in all their chargers, hence the multiple pin layout.  DeWalt batteries (20v and 12v) are "dumb" batteries only having a temp sensor built in, relying on the tools and chargers. The Ryobi batteries have the charge controllers built in.  Cost to manufacture is in DeWalt's favor doing it this way(and they enjoy NOT passing the savings on to us).

The dewalt battery packs are sealed and don't let the heat out as good as other brands like the Bosch coolpack batteries but you've nothing to worry about as the charger you mentioned isn't a fast charger it's only 4 amp which is not fast like the Bosch 8 amp or makita 9 amp chargers !
This is due to the sealed packs they can't be charged as fast as they don't vent the heat , don't worry about it they will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a DeWalt pack overheat.

Have you Joe?

DeWalt's 8 amp fan cooled charger keeps all 20v batteries substantially cooler while charging and even cools down a warm pack.

Just not use to a high capacity pack.  It got warmer than I was confortable with but not hot that it couldn't be held.  More like 35c. When I charge li-ion packs with an RC charger, you can charge at 1/2c and they never even get warm and they get charged to 4.2v. per cell and are all balanced. 

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

Only packs I've been able to overheat are Milwaukee. No teal or yellow. 

@Cr8ondt Dewalt batteries are noticeably more affordable here than red or teal, so I would argue they do pass along some savings. 

I was implying comparing DeWalt to Ryobi battery pricing, take a street price(us) 2 pack of 4ah each, Yellow $130, Lime Green $100, yellow batteries are little more than a plastic box with 10 cells in em while lime green are 10 cells and a balance charge controller, so my point, lower cost to manufacture + higher retail = larger profit margin.  I'm not exactly hating on DeWalt, I'm just pointing out a fact..... And before we get all High end vs low end I'm only talking about the batteries, TTI and SBD volume buy their cells from the same (or VERY similar) OEM's(IE Samsung, LG, Panasonic) and pay those OEM's the same per cell price. 

3 hours ago, jay1028 said:

Got into the Ryobi  pack out of curiousity.  Looks like they are stepping up their game.

DSC03280.JPG

DSC03282.JPG

I wasn't making it up....  Pop open a Ridgid battery and you'll see almost the exact same thing, chip for chip part number for part number identical, just laid out different due to form factor.

4 hours ago, Tug said:

I find the Ryobi tools a bit hit and miss, but their cells seem pretty good. 

I absolutely agree, my primary cordless stuff is DeWalt, but have a bunch of Ryobi odds and ends to supplement my "lesser" tool needs, example, DeWalt's caulk gun is $200 I have a hard time justifying that because I don't run caulk every day, while Ryobi is only $40, so that was a no brainier for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cr8ondt said:

I absolutely agree, my primary cordless stuff is DeWalt, but have a bunch of Ryobi odds and ends to supplement my "lesser" tool needs, example, DeWalt's caulk gun is $200 I have a hard time justifying that because I don't run caulk every day, while Ryobi is only $40, so that was a no brainier for me.

Almost exactly what I'm doing! My entire inventory was stolen last year, so now I carry cheap tools that I don't worry about being stolen, but all my big guns are red and yellow. These don't leave my sight, they only leave my home if I know I'm definitely gonna need them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tug said:

Sorry, don't understand the question. Could you be more specific? 

Framing is building the skeleton of the home or more broadly new construction:

Image result for house framing

@Framer joe is probably asking because (we assume)most of the building space is used in the UK.

• Like 3

No, we like our homes wind proof. Ha ha, I'm kidding, still mostly brick built, but with methods being tweaked year on year. I can't stand new-builds, bloody awful things! Chipboard floors upstairs, concrete floors downstairs, pre-fabricated loft spaces etc. This all adds up to buildings that're very awkward to rewire. The best homes in the UK were built by the Victorians, fantastic engineers! Nowadays? All crap! 

All crap in U.K. ? Not here....problem is in the USA,different codes by state.. if all building codes adapted cape cod standard there would be no house blown over ever .....ever here of a house on cape being blown apart ? No,..toughest codes in the US.....Arizona watches houses blow around ,Florida same thing ......quality lasts like Italian architecture or Greek....or cape cod...lol but true

• Like 2