Is dewalt ever going to put out a 20v brushless grinder?

zinzander

well the title says it all, is dewalt ever going to put out a 20v brushless grinder?

My colleagues all have nice Makita and milwaukee brushless grinders and currently have the choice of not buying one which is what I have been doing for the last few years or buying the behemoth of shitter grinder that feels like its from the 90s. (I love dewalt tools but there is no world where that thing they call a grinder shouldn't have ceased production a decade ago). Are they ever going to give me a nice grinder?

message was written with tongue firmly in cheek

Never owned a cordless grinder, but from what I've heard none of them are that great due to their lack of torque. If I was in the market for one, I'd be looking for the highest voltage I could find, regardless of manufacturer. 

14 minutes ago, Tug said:

Never owned a cordless grinder, but from what I've heard none of them are that great due to their lack of torque. If I was in the market for one, I'd be looking for the highest voltage I could find, regardless of manufacturer. 

Cordless grinders more

a cutoff tool then a tool you use for serious grinding. Doing renovations and new homes they are extremely handy for cutting the ends of bolts or a small piece of iron that is in your way, or even some re-bar. They are amazing when you have small jobs to complete and you will spend more time running a cord than doing a task. They are the same as cordless circular saws in there use in a lot of ways, they are so convenient especially in tight spaces or when you just have to knock the end off a couple of bolts or screws. They are not really a tool you use for large scale serious metal working, I have two corded grinders if i need to cut large pieces of concrete or steel. The thing is ever brands apart from dewalt has a good form factor on there 18v grinders, Dewalt gave up developing theirs 10 years ago. As an aside Voltage by itself doesn't necessarily mean anything when you are talking  about tool power

As an electrician with a hobby in RC cars, I do understand the electrical power side of things, higher voltage is definitely more efficient and gives more driving force when you're trying to pull more amps. 

I guess for small tasks they're ok, but as I said, I've never owned one. Surprised to hear you say Dewalt aren't continuing their development. 

There was a time back in the 18v xrp days that I said a cordless grinder couldn't replace a corded.  Then came the m18 fuel grinder and while it's not a true corded replacement, I no longer carry a corded model on my truck as it has enough power and runtime.  I've recently bought a 60v grinder and I would say it's every bit as capable as a corded 4.5"-6".  Even with just 2- 2.0ah batteries and a fast charger I haven't had issues with running out of battery.

That's not to say there aren't jobs where a corded model isn't a better choice but for 85% of the population there is a cordless grinder solution.  

Where my problem lies is we have two work trucks running on the 20v platform and I don't want to upgrade both trucks to 60v batteries just for a grinder.   But I would like to upgrade to brushless and get similar performance to the m18 fuel grinder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

There was a time back in the 18v xrp days that I said a cordless grinder couldn't replace a corded.  Then came the m18 fuel grinder and while it's not a true corded replacement, I no longer carry a corded model on my truck as it has enough power and runtime.  I've recently bought a 60v grinder and I would say it's every bit as capable as a corded 4.5"-6".  Even with just 2- 2.0ah batteries and a fast charger I haven't had issues with running out of battery.

That's not to say there aren't jobs where a corded model isn't a better choice but for 85% of the population there is a cordless grinder solution.  

Where my problem lies is we have two work trucks running on the 20v platform and I don't want to upgrade both trucks to 60v batteries just for a grinder.   But I would like to upgrade to brushless and get similar performance to the m18 fuel grinder.

I would just put a 9ah on each truck.

I've been away for a spell, but glad to be back among you bunch of tools! Er, I mean tool lovers...

As for a Dewalt 20v brushless grinder, I don't see why not. I just used my Metabo brushless 18v a couple hours ago to make short work of cutting up some 1/2" threaded rod for concrete anchors. 

LOVE that tool.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

Yes, DeWalt has a new brushless grinder coming this year. I've seen it, looks nice. Completely different than the current brushed grinder.

really? Is it more like the flexvolt monster but in 4 in? Does it have tool connect or an led?