Improperly Using a bandsaw

comp56

Improper way to use a bandsaw, video is not gory but shows just how fast things can go wrong...skip past the guitar playing to see disaster @1.30minutes

So working on a band saw 40 hours a week, thats a SHIT YOUR PANTS MOMENT. In my trade we get about one or two of those a week, it just happens and it wakes you up.  He makes a very good point, you need to have a firm grip on whatever you are cutting, in my case meat. The most dangerous things that we cut are beef shanks, I've seen guys have a junk grip and the saw grab it and send it flying, I've seen the blade trap it and knock off the track, blades snap, it scares you.  The most important thing like he mentions is downward pressure, firm grip but not too firm.  I teach my apprentices to position the majority of your body behind the blade instead of in front, so if something happens or someone knocks you and you fall forward, your less likely to get injured.

Band saws are no joke and this was a good video with some good points

(going to change my underwear now)