Miter Saw Stand

cliu

Absolutely is. Best values are likely the ridgid wheeled stand or the Dewalt heavy duty stand that collapses to a very portable form factor. I have the rolling Dewalt but if it wasn't tossed in with my saw I would have got one of the other two. 

I'll second the DeWalt heavy duty. I have a Mak LS1016L, so bought the DW7231 mounting brackets which work great on and off the stand.

If you do go the DeWalt route, I also recommend grabbing a couple of the wide stops, DW7029, and also the extension supports, DW7028.

Not an inexpensive setup, but man does it work well!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BMack37 said:

If you're only using it at home you may want to consider making your own, there are some great ideas for stands online.

The Harbor Freight stand seems to get good reviews, I took a look at it and it is definitely stable.

It all depends on how you are going to use it. In a fixed shop, build your own has a lot going for it. If you have a garage shop that need to move tools around to set up, use and then fold up and put away at the end of the day, a build your own or purchased rolling/ folding stand might be what you want. If you are going to be moving it in and out of rooms or job sites a lightweight or rolling stand might be advantageous to use, but a home built portable stand like one of the Ron Paulk designs (look him up on YouTube) also have some advantages to them too. One of the things I like to use in conjunction with a miter saw is a jig made for the specific molding you are using or adjustable crown stops to hold it at the right angle for the cut.  

• Like 1

Grumpy and BMack make good points. Shocking, really. Harhar!

One thing I ran into in my crappy garage/shed/landfill/shop, is nowhere near enough room to cut the decking for my deck build. That, plus I like being outdoors cutting when possible, make the portable options important to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

It all depends on how you are going to use it. In a fixed shop, build your own has a lot going for it. If you have a garage shop that need to move tools around to set up, use and then fold up and put away at the end of the day, a build your own or purchased rolling/ folding stand might be what you want. If you are going to be moving it in and out of rooms or job sites a lightweight or rolling stand might be advantageous to use, but a home built portable stand like one of the Ron Paulk designs (look him up on YouTube) also have some advantages to them too. One of the things I like to use in conjunction with a miter saw is a jig made for the specific molding you are using or adjustable crown stops to hold it at the right angle for the cut.  

I've been thinking of the kind where it's roughly the size of a rolling toolbox but has side supports that fold out. I figure it takes up about the same space as a folded miter saw stand with the saw still attached but it allows me to make a quick cut without unfolding the stand. I'd only need to move the stand to cut wider material. I'm working in a garage but I park my car outside.

This is sort of what I was thinking but I've seen better designs. You can make it just a bit wider than the width of the saw, which is close to the thickness of the stand and height of the saw.

3154810254_1337368342.JPG

If you're working on a job site, definitely a rolling miter saw stand, no doubt.

I will need one that can easily fold. I am going to be taking it to multiple job sites regularly so I need one that can easily be picked up, folded up and thrown into a van or pickup truck. Also I am not blessed enough to have a garage or workshop so I need one that can be folded flat and stored in a closet.

I've been thinking of the kind where it's roughly the size of a rolling toolbox but has side supports that fold out. I figure it takes up about the same space as a folded miter saw stand with the saw still attached but it allows me to make a quick cut without unfolding the stand. I'd only need to move the stand to cut wider material. I'm working in a garage but I park my car outside.

This is sort of what I was thinking but I've seen better designs. You can make it just a bit wider than the width of the saw, which is close to the thickness of the stand and height of the saw.
3154810254_1337368342.JPG

If you're working on a job site, definitely a rolling miter saw stand, no doubt.

That's it kind of what I plan on transitioning too for the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

That's it kind of what I plan on transitioning too for the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about it a lot today while driving and I think I actually like this style more than the one I planned. I'd hinge the support leg and put a clip for that to stay folded when the side is dropped. Thin the middle section a little then make a contoured top that fills in the gap between the table and the supports. Then add a vertical fence on the support wings.

Just now, BMack37 said:

I thought about it a lot today while driving and I think I actually like this style more than the one I planned. I'd hinge the support leg and put a clip for that to stay folded when the side is dropped. Thin the middle section a little then make a contoured top that fills in the gap between the table and the supports. Then add a vertical fence on the support wings.

I plan on adding onto that Cabinet that I currently have the saw on, I'll raise it up to a comfortable level to use than build "detachable" wings that can slide on and off, of course the whole cabinet will be on casters as well

• Like 1

Unless you are planning on doing a built-in set up in a shop, a stand is an absolute necessity. I would recommend a rolling stand as well.

The Dewalt and Bosch gravity rise stands are top of the market IMO.

• Like 1