Multi-bit screwdrivers vs. individual

dwasifar

11 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Do you actually use the ratcheting function?  I've never been comfortable with ratcheting drivers.

Then maybe you have never used Rolgear? 

96061774b8ce39d1bc62e7e5c3f49c55.png

.. It's not really "ratcheting" in The sense that you have the clicks of a ratchet, it must have a ball and ramp and is infinitely variable unlike a ratchet and is extremely smooth and very little resistance to turn. 

That's all I've been using for a few months now, I can't recall the last time I used a dedicated screwdriver...

You use one bit to push out another bit when you swap. I carry it in my everyday box and have nut drivers handy to pop in the 1/4" end when I need. 

The unbelievable smooth action is why I love it and is the only thing I've been using since Rob from Turbo Plumbing and Heating on Instagram sent me one. I have been meaning to buy some but have been putting that off 

• Like 1

A lot of times when I look at tools like this I find myself just sort of generally marveling at the amount of thought and engineering that goes into trying to make a classic tool better.  I remember multi-drivers from 30 or 40 years ago (yes, I'm that old), and they were nowhere near this good.  They were sloppy junk, mostly.  And most people's screwdrivers looked like this:

41XmU3sejuL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg.b57d072ca2e6c922b3d1161ab2104561.jpg

I know this is a classic, and perfectly usable, but I doubt any of you Wera guys would go back to that design, would you?

Or, if you were a cheap-ass like my dad, they came from the 29¢ bin on the hardware store counter and looked like this:

6-125mm-Phillips-font-b-Screwdriver-b-font-font-b-Plastic-b-font-font-b-Handle.thumb.jpg.1a39aab1f89a2c4b3c67df897a0a1861.jpg

My dad hated Phillips screws - what he called "crosshead" screws - because he was always stripping the screwhead or the tool tip, and he couldn't grind a new edge onto a cheap Phillips driver the way he did with the cheap slotted drivers.  I eventually realized his problems were due to the cheap tools, but it took me a long time to get there because he would always tell me "It's a poor workman who blames his tools."  I finally understood that's only true up to a point, which eventually culminated in ME teaching HIM about the merits of Phillips over slotted, which was an interesting conversation.

But I digress.  My point is that I feel like we're living in a tool renaissance right now.  The market is bursting with new ideas for tools, and new refinements of classic tools; even a simple screwdriver has dozens or hundreds of choices, all competing on their merits and quality.  I feel spoiled.  Don't you?

I still have my craftsman USA set but the tips are hard to compete with the German stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use my M12 Fuel screwdriver or impact for a lot of it, but including a few nut drivers, I probably carry 15 screwdrivers in my main bag with me, which is never far from my side. I own plenty of them, but I just have never found the benefits of a multi-bit to outweigh the detriments, personally. I do like my Megapro as a house junk-drawer screwdriver, but that's about it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sparky603 said:

I use my M12 Fuel screwdriver or impact for a lot of it, but including a few nut drivers, I probably carry 15 screwdrivers in my main bag with me, which is never far from my side. I own plenty of them, but I just have never found the benefits of a multi-bit to outweigh the detriments, personally. I do like my Megapro as a house junk-drawer screwdriver, but that's about it.

I have a number of multi-bit drivers, from the Double Drive (regular and stubby) to the Klein 11-in-1 and various Milwaukee and other versions.  Also still have dozens of regular screwdrivers made by Craftsman, Snap-On, Matco, and other manufacturers.  That said,I find myself using the DeWalt 12v or 8v screwdrivers more often than not. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally use human powered screw spinners but when I do I use these:

Multi bit ratchet driver: Crazy over priced Snapon, I absolutely love it.

Regular drivers: Craftsman US made, not the best in the world but damn well decent.

I decided to give individual screwdrivers another go, based partly on what people are saying in this thread, and partly because having a real tool chest (as opposed to random tool boxes) for the first time in my life is already changing how I work. 

I know you guys are are gonna be disappointed that I didn't buy the Wera set, but I decided to go Made In USA instead:

81lIHrRSCWL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b27c43bc3a606a0a5757c3a44da3c695.jpg

I considered Craftsman, because the classic clear handled ones are still USA, but for how much longer? I decided I trust Channellock more at this point. $50 shipped from Circle C. Arriving Wednesday. If I wind up switching to single drivers, then I might consider the more pricey Wera. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

I decided to give individual screwdrivers another go, based partly on what people are saying in this thread, and partly because having a real tool chest (as opposed to random tool boxes) for the first time in my life is already changing how I work. 

I know you guys are are gonna be disappointed that I didn't buy the Wera set, but I decided to go Made In USA instead:

81lIHrRSCWL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b27c43bc3a606a0a5757c3a44da3c695.jpg

I considered Craftsman, because the classic clear handled ones are still USA, but for how much longer? I decided I trust Channellock more at this point. $50 shipped from Circle C. Arriving Wednesday. If I wind up switching to single drivers, then I might consider the more pricey Wera. 

those are some nice drivers, i have a set of USA craftsman but i hardly touch them, still love the feel of them though just hard to fight the tip of a wera

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

those are some nice drivers, i have a set of USA craftsman but i hardly touch them, still love the feel of them though just hard to fight the tip of a wera

I was just out in the garage making a rack to put them in when they arrive.  Channellock is nice enough to give precise dimensions for every driver in the set, so I can make the rack in advance and have it ready.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 10:15 PM, dwasifar said:

I was just out in the garage making a rack to put them in when they arrive.  Channellock is nice enough to give precise dimensions for every driver in the set, so I can make the rack in advance and have it ready.

Here's the rack, all ready to accept the drivers when they arrive:

IMG_20170606_222758.thumb.jpg.d04b96f6a0b80a71a97c0f4818e39669.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im all about my Snap on soft grip and hard handle ratcheting screwdrivers they are top notch and they best I've used. I do have some (insert number) in one screwdrivers like Ideal and klien but just not a fan of those. My favorite is either my green soft grip or my (holy grail) clear hard handle I rally enjoy using them but find myself using my mini snap on screwguns often as it saves the wrist.

• Like 1

I have both, I do like a good multi bit,Waiting on a new Wera Kraftform Kompakt should be here Tomr , I have Wiha also. As soon as you pick one up , whether it's an individual or multibit you can usually tell. 

29 minutes ago, Foneguy said:

I have both, I do like a good multi bit,Waiting on a new Wera Kraftform Kompakt should be here Tomr , I have Wiha also. As soon as you pick one up , whether it's an individual or multibit you can usually tell. 

The Wera without the internal bit storage doesn't have that bit driver feel. I love using it because it feels like a screwdriver, I have a small pouch with a full set of security SAE hex, security Metric hex, security torx which obviously double as non-security...and some other bits I rarely need, all the bits are 3.5" so they feel like a regular screwdriver.

• Like 1

I have both personally. I think there are advantages to both. On the site I tend to have multi bit, as I never know what I am going to get in to. In the shop I have screwdrivers everywhere. I don't really think you can go wrong either way, more of a preference and depends on what trade you're in.

7 hours ago, BMack37 said:

The Wera without the internal bit storage doesn't have that bit driver feel. I love using it because it feels like a screwdriver, I have a small pouch with a full set of security SAE hex, security Metric hex, security torx which obviously double as non-security...and some other bits I rarely need, all the bits are 3.5" so they feel like a regular screwdriver.

Got it today !!!

great feel to it

shout out to my man Ryan @KC_Tool

Great service always !!

IMG_1858.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Foneguy said:

Got it today !!!

great feel to it

shout out to my man Ryan @KC_Tool

Great service always !!

IMG_1858.JPG

Awesome, I'm partial to my Rolgear but I have been thinking about getting a Wera ratcheting one...

I love how silent and smooth the Rolgear are: honestly nothing comes close for ratcheting screwdrivers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Awesome, I'm partial to my Rolgear but I have been thinking about getting a Wera ratcheting one...

I love how silent and smooth the Rolgear are: honestly nothing comes close for ratcheting screwdrivers

I was looking into a rolgear also, then i saw your post on IG.. & I said DAMN !!!! Homeboy got a pretty impressive grip to smash that with his bare hand...... then I read the post. I will more than likely pick one up, can't have too many tools!

but I am slowly expanding my hand tools into the European brands, and so far I am not disappointed.

57 minutes ago, Foneguy said:

I was looking into a rolgear also, then i saw your post on IG.. & I said DAMN !!!! Homeboy got a pretty impressive grip to smash that with his bare hand...... then I read the post. I will more than likely pick one up, can't have too many tools!

but I am slowly expanding my hand tools into the European brands, and so far I am not disappointed.

Ha yeah I've turned it on some very tight screws and couldn't break it but it dropped square on the cement and it's toast! 

I was a little mad at the guy that dropped it when he was carrying things off the roof, but we have a tool purchase policy at work and they will replace it for me

2017-06-24_10-43-17

• Like 3