Ridgid Gen5x Yay or nay??

What's up crew!! So I bought the Gen5x 5 piece combo kit yesterday from HD for $399. I thought it was always $399 but it was marked down from $499, so I bought it but don't know if I should keep it yet. My only experience with the kit was when I used my buddy's recip saw for 5 minutes last week and the spotlight. Which the spotlight is junk but most spotlight's are junk just so the manufacture can add a so called tool to there kits. So really its a 4 piece kit and I only use area lights so a spotlight is useless to me and the Ridgid spotlight is even more useless. The Ridgid spotlight is not UL listed according to the box which I don't even know how they can legally sell it. Check picture below, correct me if I am wrong. So I guess I have a few questions for you guys can this be purchased at a lower price, I think it should only be $399 and should go on sale for cheaper. If i had a coupon that would be great to save 10% or what not, I'm checking my email non-stop for a HD coupon so I can rebuy it and then open it. Second, is it wroth the money, and is it a good deal. Third how is your experience with this kit and are you happy with it?? Yay or nay tell me anything and everything you want to say, The Good bad and the ugly!  I usually only buy higher end tools and the Ridgid I consider to be a lower quality tool. Thanks ahead of time crew!!!

IMAG3084.jpg

IMAG3085.jpg

It's a good secondary line fills the gaps nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: the recip sucks but the circus saw is nice I keep a non ferrous metal blade on it

Flashlight sucks too but the drill and impact aren't bad

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

It's a good secondary line fills the gaps nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: the recip sucks but the circus saw is nice I keep a non ferrous metal blade on it

Flashlight sucks too but the drill and impact aren't bad

My brother-in-law uses Ridgid stuff, though hes got the X5 Brushless hammer drill and impact, good stuff for sure.  I actually like the recip, one of the few with an orbital mode, I cant speak about the circ saw, he won't get it "because the blade is on the wrong side".  Also the Jobmax multi tool is a gem, the OMT head is quite good, right angle impact and drill ends are life savers!

• Like 1

Just now, Cr8ondt said:

My brother-in-law uses Ridgid stuff, though hes got the X5 Brushless hammer drill and impact, good stuff for sure.  I actually like the recip, one of the few with an orbital mode, I cant speak about the circ saw, he won't get it "because the blade is on the wrong side".  Also the Jobmax multi tool is a gem, the OMT head is quite good, right angle impact and drill ends are life savers!

The orbital is nice, so let me rephrase the sawzall is good for wood but I have had it bind up on me many times trying to cut some metal, usually results in some profanity and a why didn't I grab a real sawzall thought.  The brushless drill and impact are sweet, nice and compact compared to the brush but if your going for power the brushed is actually a more powerful drill, strange they did it that way but check it out, I had to do a double take.  The brushed drill is rather massive, thats what Ridgid likes to do I guess, they really go big, look at the Stealth Force driver.

Ive heard great things about the job max, never picked one up I have a M18 OMT that fits the cordless bill.  I love the Ridgid line for the odd ball tools, same as Ryobi, Cordless Belt Sander, Cordless ROS, panel light, just some cool stuff we don't get from Milwaukee, Dewalt and such.

So the more I think about it the big kit may not be of the greatest value, a nice Brushless Drill Kit would be a good way to ease into the line because there are better tools on the market

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

The orbital is nice, so let me rephrase the sawzall is good for wood but I have had it bind up on me many times trying to cut some metal, usually results in some profanity and a why didn't I grab a real sawzall thought.  The brushless drill and impact are sweet, nice and compact compared to the brush but if your going for power the brushed is actually a more powerful drill, strange they did it that way but check it out, I had to do a double take.  The brushed drill is rather massive, thats what Ridgid likes to do I guess, they really go big, look at the Stealth Force driver.

Ive heard great things about the job max, never picked one up I have a M18 OMT that fits the cordless bill.  I love the Ridgid line for the odd ball tools, same as Ryobi, Cordless Belt Sander, Cordless ROS, panel light, just some cool stuff we don't get from Milwaukee, Dewalt and such.

So the more I think about it the big kit may not be of the greatest value, a nice Brushless Drill Kit would be a good way to ease into the line because there are better tools on the market

Thanks Jimbo!! I have mixed feelings about the kit, and got it just to get into the line and wanted another recip. A man can never have enough saws, it would be used mainly for metal cutting so that sounds like bad news. After using brushless tools with 4amp hour packs exclusively for the last year and a half everyday all day. It's hard to use a brushed tool the extra run time is amazing. When I see someone using a brushed tool or use someone else's I say it junk regardless of brand name. One example was when I helped my Uncle one day running 1000 feet of EMT. He had the small DeWalt brushed hammer drill (not sure model number) with the brushed impact on 3 amp packs and 1.5 packs. We had to drill and drive tapcon's for the strap's, he had to keep swapping out packs. I had the DCD995 with 4 amp pack with a tapcon driver. So long story short he was using a hammer drill and impact because it did not have the power to drive. While I used one drill and blew him out the water and even came and helped him out with my drill at the end of the day. I think I only switched packs once, I do realize its not apples to apples but its a huge difference. He does have a DCD985 which I don't know why he was not using it. Sorry to make you read this all..lol  

• Like 1

Thanks Jimbo!! I have mixed feelings about the kit, and got it just to get into the line and wanted another recip. A man can never have enough saws, it would be used mainly for metal cutting so that sounds like bad news. After using brushless tools with 4amp hour packs exclusively for the last year and a half everyday all day. It's hard to use a brushed tool the extra run time is amazing. When I see someone using a brushed tool or use someone else's I say it junk regardless of brand name. One example was when I helped my Uncle one day running 1000 feet of EMT. He had the small DeWalt brushed hammer drill (not sure model number) with the brushed impact on 3 amp packs and 1.5 packs. We had to drill and drive tapcon's for the strap's, he had to keep swapping out packs. I had the DCD995 with 4 amp pack with a tapcon driver. So long story short he was using a hammer drill and impact because it did not have the power to drive. While I used one drill and blew him out the water and even came and helped him out with my drill at the end of the day. I think I only switched packs once, I do realize its not apples to apples but its a huge difference. He does have a DCD985 which I don't know why he was not using it. Sorry to make you read this all..lol  

No problem dude, they are average solid tools, I just ordered the brushless belt sander I'm excited about that they do have an interesting line up, cordless air compressor and propane heater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/23/2017 at 8:48 PM, JimboS1ice said:

so you must be a TTI guy. Do you got a Hoover or any Stilleto?