Shop Class Kids

Captain Obvious

After realizing that shop classes all over the country have been in decline for a few decades, I decided to start a website devoted to learning the things that kids should be learning in shop class. ShopClassKids.com.

I have 3 boys and I want to make sure they know the things that are no longer being taught in school.  The plan is to make this a place where people can go to learn the basics of woodworking, welding, automotive, CNC and whatever else everyone feels would be a good idea.  Even if kids don't go into the trades this would still give them general handyman skills.  It's only been up for a few weeks but we're adding content multiple times a week.

If you guys have any suggestions or resources we could use, let me know!  I figure in order to increase the number of email subscribers I will bribe people by giving away tools as we reach certain milestones.  So please, check it out and sign up for email updates! 

lastlogo.jpg

• Like 3

This sounds like a good idea. In my town I was blessed to have shop in school. I'm not sure I would be in the construction trade or have interest in furniture without it. My town almost has a new high school completed and the shop classes have seemed to stick around. Even sounds like they got good upgrades including a cnc router for the wood shop. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I was able to get ahold of a shop teacher of 37 years who has a TON of info he's sharing with me.  I'm releasing it as fast as I can but there is so much material!  I finally got a YouTube channel up also and we have some powerpoint presentations of some of his lessons.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG6NPSuCt9XEUdAzttOvycw

This is a pretty huge undertaking but I feel it's important to share this knowledge with the people that haven't had either a shop class or a parent to teach them these skills.

• Like 4