Metal snips: Stanley FatMax, or Lenox? Opinions please.

dwasifar

Organizing my tools in my new rolling chest today, and realized I've been intending to replace my el cheapo no-name metal snips for approximately half my life.  Lowes has a nice price on a set of 3 Stanley FatMax snips, or they have Lenox snips individually.  It's a substantial jump in price: $25 for the Stanley set, or about $60 to buy three individual Lenox.  I know Stanley owns Lenox now, but these are clearly not the same tool:

lenox.thumb.jpg.7b656a7438e1468666f0f45e5c334d51.jpg

My gut says to buy the Stanley set; I don't use them a lot, and the flush-head pivot instead of the protruding bolt head to catch on the work seems like an attractive feature.  But I also know that you typically get what you pay for, and there's gotta be a reason why they can charge $20 apiece for the Lenox.

Opinions?  I'm going out there to pick them up tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, Fletcher94 said:

I have a Stanley fat max pair from lowes but they broke somewhat. The one cutting edge bent outward. The first 1/4" of the blades works fine but after that it won't cut anything. 

Those have a lifetime warranty.  You should send them in for replacement.

• Like 1

I appreciate the recommendations for other brands, but I was pretty set on buying something today from Lowe's; I get a discount because my wife works there.  Stanley and Lenox were the brands they have in stock.

I decided to get the FatMax set and a pair of Lenox offset straight snips:

snips.thumb.jpg.c870189735b6ef074084c68080c4d3fb.jpg

So now I get a chance to compare them on my own.  I've never had offset snips before, but I'm hoping they make long cuts easier.

• Like 3

I have a pair if Stanley and Lennox snips, I've religated them both to cutting shingles, though the Stanley's are still capable of making a decent cut in metal.  My only for metal snips are Midwest, cuts metal like paper and they are made about 1/2 hour drive from me, went to the factory last year(that was really cool).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would go neither I would get Kleins or Wiss if you want to save some money but the Klein's are the best imo they look alot like the Stanley ones, the Lenox don't look bad either but I would go with th American made one's straight up GL cheers!

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, Mycrossover said:

Wiss is Apex these days, with a corresponding drop in quality. Malco or Midwest is the way to go if you want a good tool.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've never been impressed with Wiss...I think it's just one of those things that everyone used it so they recommend it because they haven't used better, like anything from Craftsman, ever.