Where's all the tool hype for June ?

Framer joe

Guess the announcement was something we didn't expect. The internet router may be nice for commercial and maybe large residential but not something my work would use. Especially since we are only half a dozen guys.

27 minutes ago, jkeating3 said:

Well... It does more than OneKey... I think...?

It is going to be part of a whole connected ecosystem that includes tool connect. I see it as a tool used for commercial jobsites. One scenario was the guy at the bottom could send blueprints to the guy at top. I could see the general contractor company would run the system then all the various crews could be connected somehow to get sent information or whatever.

Is internet connectivity really an issue?  I feel like if you're a person that needs to be connected to your emails, you're probably going to have a phone plan to accommodate it.  I guess its alright to see tools evolv with technology but it seems a bit gimmicky at this point.

I think the idea is to provide some sort of intranet on construction site like we have in a regular office. Like sharing blueprints, message the guy upstairs, check the tool inventory, see what is done and what still need to be done today, ... This is a lot more ambitious than one key.

10 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Wow is that a bad direction to head down......I know none of the builders will buy into that crap.....just give us tools ...lots of tools on the same platform....framers will not stop to program a tool,just give me ...more POWA.......R and D more tools.....

.........is that 890 just battery into steel and concrete or is a gun shell used like Hilti??

I agree with all of this. As for powder or impact it would be a colossal waste of space for it to run off powder, that thing is massive. My ramset is 1/5th the size, and what else purpose would the battery have?

That said I have no idea how they could produce enough force to drive a nail through 1/4in steel i beam either. And we all know Dewalt didn't just come up with something new as far as drive mechanisms go or else we wouldn't get this nailer until Elon Musk finishes boring a tunnel from my house to Anchorage, Alaska.  

• Like 2

Maybe a change order was requested and required some blueprints had to be changed. They can be electronically sent from the guys at bottom to the ones at the top. Also you gotta consider emails have small file size limits and the plan files are large. Some can be multiple gigabytes in size.

• Like 1

Generally management is intelligent enough to send their guys specific files and not the entire set of prints.

I've worked plenty of commercial, worked through plenty of change orders, and never thought "damn, life sure would be easier if I was on wifi now instead of 3G / LTE". Go Dewalt though, chase that One Key money. 

• Like 2

Ok,let me help you...I run large companies,,myself(supervisor) and foreman carry iPads...a phone isn't large enough to view plans.....an iPad works perfectly..it is large enough and has a phone plan,emails,etc....you don't call up to a foreman..you call him  and ask him to meet in the office (job site trailer) you go over any change orders and send him a "PDF" so he has a copy........

...emails are used 100% of the time so there is a record of every transaction...plans,changes,orders,deliveries..etc...what Dewalt wants to do is useless...I'm sure some will buy into it..but not most or near all will not..

...inventory is kept daily of tools,nails,supplies...tools and nails are checked out and in...ultimately the .foreman is responsible for everything and repairs...my job is to run everything as smooth as possible and to find ways to increase safety and productivity daily....the bottom line is profit ,whatever company can increase our profit is where we buy, Preferably 1 company ,but usually not the case...

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

Ok,let me help you...I run large companies,,myself(supervisor) and foreman carry iPads...a phone isn't large enough to view plans.....an iPad works perfectly..it is large enough and has a phone plan,emails,etc....you don't call up to a foreman..you call him  and ask him to meet in the office (job site trailer) you go over any change orders and send him a "PDF" so he has a copy........

...emails are used 100% of the time so there is a record of every transaction...plans,changes,orders,deliveries..etc...what Dewalt wants to do is useless...I'm sure some will buy into it..but not most or near all will not..

...inventory is kept daily of tools,nails,supplies...tools and nails are checked out and in...ultimately the .foreman is responsible for everything and repairs...my job is to run everything as smooth as possible and to find ways to increase safety and productivity daily....the bottom line is profit ,whatever company can increase our profit is where we buy, Preferably 1 company ,but usually not the case...

Just remember, you were the guy who didn't have a cordless tool until the 20V line was out. You are just now starting to use a track saw. So you could be a little slower in accepting change. I know I can be slow doing it at times too. In my case I don't really understand it yet, mainly because I am not working on big projects with multiple subcontractors and suppliers and have to react to change orders from inspectors, customers and architects. If they get it right, 6 months from now you might be the one speaking enthusiastically about it. In my case I will be sitting there thinking, is it time to retire some more of my 18V tools? Those couple I have that don't get used that much....

No @Grumpy MSG....I may have waited for powerful cordless tools because the cordless tools that were out there sucked ...but I've been running companies for 30plus years...reading plans for the same....supers carry iPads or tablets...this is Dewalt crap...tick is crap..one key is crap...tool connect is crap....ya someone will buy it and play with the tech aspect of it...it will never increase the productivity of building a wall..or installing windows,trim..etc.....

...what happens when Dewalt changes its mind AGAIN and decides to do a whole NEW system that's better....NO,....Companies use phones,tablets,iPads,computers,etc..even quick connect by sprint "beep beep" is fast and easy which i also use daily to get ahold of someone....

...ya guys that get it free will say it's great,I'm a fanboy but no..no..no

• Like 1

I don't know much about this new router thing DeWALT announced or the plans for it but I say we shouldn't say its bad until it is actually used. DeWALT is trying something new.

Also @Framer joe One key does increase productivity. In the case of the recip saw you select the material to cut and it automatically sets the optimal settings for the particular material you need to cut to increase speed and increase blade life. If you got 4 customizable presets you can set them up once then close the app and forget about the app. Maybe 3 for your most commonly cut materials then 1 that is for misc. materials. 

While I see your point Jman....I'll quarantine that if 3 things are needed to be cut by a sawzall..one metal,one wood,one nail embedded wood.....I'll grab my Milwaukee with a demo blade and muscle through them all before a guy is done programming..one key..for each item ....most of the time ,,muscle ,a good tool and a great blade is all you need.....time =money...every minute saved ,,multiplied by dozens of guys...adds up on large jobs................

I get it's progress,i guess...I see a value for someone...not for real world production builders.............don't know what a "cut brake" is....Bman

well with presets you only have to program once. Program the tool one day then the next you don't gotta reprogram the tool because it remembers what you set the day before. If the whole crew is reprograming their tool every day while on the clock then it adds up. I don't really see the average guy reprograming their tool every day. I see guys on their own time unboxing the tool, programing the tool, then closing the app until a new connected tool is purchased. 

Thanks Bman....pretty cool........now Jman so if I send a guy to cut metal he needs to program for metal cuts,  then he is going to cut just lumber ..a different program...same tool...no ? Multiply by dozens of guys cutting different material all over the place.....I could be wrong....( I was wrong ..once..in the eighties) lol....

I have the Milwaukee 2757-20 OneKey 1/4 impact and its a waste of money for me. I used it for 6 months and bought the Surge and it just sits in my box now. We were working on stage and I loaned my Surge to a friend and used the One key and it began acting up. The forward / rev switch was not working, it would just get stuck in rev and after a while it would get stuck in Forward. I filled out the E - Service form and need to send it back. 

If I had to do it again I would not have spent the extra 50.00 for One Key on the impact.

One key, tick, routers, all that sounds fine, if your into that.

For me, I'm simple.  I just want more lights, a fan, a small radio (smaller than the current smallest one), and maybe a couple sanders.

Oh yea, that brad nailer that was supposed to come out in May.