M12 rotary hammer vs m18 hammer drill

Bmill25

I've been using my m18 fuel hammer drill for tapcons and I realized today that I have quite a few jobs coming up that will require many more tapcons. Would a m12 fuel rotary hammer be a better option?

The M12 is a true rotary hammer, but with only approximately 1.3 joules of impact energy it's really only a fixings drill, 5mm up to 10mm at the most. 

The M18 is far more powerful, only drawback is its weight compared to the M12.

The M12 is a true rotary hammer, but with only approximately 1.3 joules of impact energy it's really only a fixings drill, 5mm up to 10mm at the most. 

The M18 is far more powerful, only drawback is its weight compared to the M12.

The M18 is a more powerful drill. Sure.

Torque isn't what counts when drilling concrete, it's impact energy. Hammer drills just don't have much impact energy, that's why they don't​ usually measure it or even publish it. It's good in a pinch for small holes, but that's about it.

It can't touch a real rotary hammer. You go ahead and try to drill a 5/8" hole through a foot of poured concrete with a hammer drill, LOL!!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Bit as I said, the M12 is a rotary hammer, not percussion. It's just not as punchy as the M18, which, if memory serves, has 4.1 joules. Percussion drills will cope with masonry, not concrete. 

What size are these Tapcons? I'm UK, so not familiar with them. 

18 minutes ago, Tug said:

What size are these Tapcons? I'm UK, so not familiar with them. 

Im not using long tapcons, 1 1/4 inch usually. But after putting about 200 into a block wall I start thinking how this would be easier. 

Hammer drills are crap in old tough concrete. Don't like to use them in tough stuff, plus the vibration and high pitch whine are brutal. A 6 amp Bulldog bores out 1/2" x 3" holes in seconds. The M12 will do the same with 1/4" holes for tapcons. My 2704 and 996 are among the best when it comes to hammering and I still click over into that setting as little as possible. 3 screws? I'm not walking for another tool. 30+? I'm walking. 

Couldn't agree more, can't stand the noise or buzzing vibration, but for a few fixings, the percussion will suffice. 

I also find an sds too violent for some masonry applications, so I'll use something with less brute force. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

The M18 is a more powerful drill. Sure.

Torque isn't what counts when drilling concrete, it's impact energy. Hammer drills just don't have much impact energy, that's why they don't usually measure it or even publish it. It's good in a pinch for small holes, but that's about it.

You have the right idea.  The tools operate very differently.  To a point, the hammer drill speed is proportional to how hard the user pushes.  With a rotary hammer, just keeping it engaged with the material (just enough pushing force) is the optimum condition.  Further pushing just adds additional drag which can slow down the tool and reduces #holes drilled on a charge.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bmill25 said:

I've been using my m18 fuel hammer drill for tapcons and I realized today that I have quite a few jobs coming up that will require many more tapcons. Would a m12 fuel rotary hammer be a better option?

Are you using the 2712 (1") or 2715 (1-1/8") today?  The ratings are pretty close but the performance/weight/size are pretty different which is why I ask.

I'm pretty biased, but the M12 FUEL 2416 And M18 2612 (5/8") were designed specifically with these kind of fasteners in mind.  Great performance in those hole sizes but keeping the weight down.

I got the 18v d handle rotary drill (2713) when it first came out and haven't looked back. I do concrete for a living and since picking it up the Bosch corded one we had hasn't hardly been out of the trailer. Know your thinking about the 12v but would imagine the performance would be similar, especially with tapcons. We put in the same size except they're 3.5-4" length and can go all day with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, A_Milwaukee_Engineer said:

Are you using the 2712 (1") or 2715 (1-1/8") today?  

I may not have been clear enough. By hammer drill I mean the hammer drill/driver 2704. 

On 5/31/2017 at 10:52 AM, HiltiWpg said:

They are two completely different tools. A rotary hammer drill will do an infinitely better job!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

This so much, if you haven't used a rotary hammer, @Bmill25 there is no comparison, you will be kicking yourself at the end of the day for not using a rotary hammer sooner...  

On 5/31/2017 at 9:49 PM, jrk_indle84 said:

I got the 18v d handle rotary drill (2713) when it first came out and haven't looked back. I do concrete for a living and since picking it up the Bosch corded one we had hasn't hardly been out of the trailer. Know your thinking about the 12v but would imagine the performance would be similar, especially with tapcons. We put in the same size except they're 3.5-4" length and can go all day with no problem.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Same here, except i got the 2712, and haven't touched my hammer drill setting since, absolutely amazing performance. 

What i got it for was to use with the hammervac, which i just got recently :

You may want to consider getting that if you're looking at a lot of clean up afterwards like i do in many basements. Or if you will be in confined spaces where you will breath in the silica dust... Either way, this is an awesome combo

• Like 2

On 5/31/2017 at 10:36 AM, Bmill25 said:

But to answer this question, an emphatic YES!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

But to answer this question, an emphatic YES!

You have one? Thoughts and findings? Is it useful for anything else or just drilling fixing holes? Will it cope with Starrett cutters etc? 

Cheers in advance. 

I used one for 3 years. It was so good, it was the only thing stopping me from switching out of the 12V line.

I am electrician, I would use that thing to run pipe like a machine. It was quite fast and very reliable.

My only advice would be to get proper bits. I was pretty disappointed at first with the M12 Fuel Rotary hammer, then I switched from a DeWalt 3/16 bit to a Bosch and was like a different tool. Smooth and fast. Then I dropped a Hilti 4 point bit in it and never looked back. It ate through everything. Very surprising how much of a difference a bit can make.

I have switched out of Milwaukee altogether, but I can honestly saw that little rotary hammer was one of the best compact tools I have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3