Which Dewalt brushless reciprocating saw

zinzander

I'm looking for some opinions on whether I should get the new brushless compact reciprocating saw or the flex volt saw. Has anyone used both and what are your thoughts.

I'm also bearing in mind that I have 4 20v batteries and only 2 flex batteries. So in effect I have 6 batteries for the 20v.

I'm a general carpenter, I do mostly renovations which involve demolition, framing, cladding, finishing etc etc so it's pretty broad work.

As a side note I just got on the flex circular saw and the thing is amazing. If you haven't tried on give it a go. It does as the claim cut the cord for 90% of applications.

The compact will vibrate like a mofo.....but I still like it for deck stuff like finishing a cut in a 6x6....but if you do demo the Flexvolt is much better.....however neither are even close to Milwaukee....  which we use at work framing...the other crew likes the new Makita AVT...

In my opinion, all dewalt reciprocating saws are lacking. Milwaukee sets the standard.
Having said that, the 20v DeWalt reciprocating saw has a 4 way chuck. None of the others have this. Not even flexvolt. Which doesn't even make sense.
For me, the 4 way chuck comes I very handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wouldn't a 4 way chuck only make sense on a compact recip? I own and use the flexvolt recip saw and I like it. It's big and I don't feel like that is a bad thing. A nice solid build designed for demo work. When under load it seems to run well. Vibration isn't anymore noticeable than most other recips. The light is a nice feature but nothing special. It could be better but it does what I need it too so I can't complain.

I think the 4 way chuck makes sense on all recip saws.  I ran dewalts for a number of years and switched to fuel a couple years ago.  I really miss the 4 way, it allows you to get closer cuts and I would say I used to use the side way position more than the standard.  It also gives you two more ways to position the battery in tight spots. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Either Milwaukee or Tiger Saw if you can stand a cord, don't buy Dewalt's recips IMO. They're punishing and 10 years behind everyone else. 

I have a big Hitachi corded one, which isn't as nice as a Milwaukee bit does the job. I thought the same thing about the dewalt grinder (as far as being out of date) but at last they are putting out a new 20v one and the new flex volt one. Dewalt does seem to be stepping up their game, it was getting a bit dire for a few years with almost no new dewalt tools or brushless tools but now they are really filling a lot of holes in their line up and leading quite a few market segments. The flex volt circular saw is amazing and hopefully they will sort their vibration issues in the reciprocating saws some day soon.

• Like 1

I have the flexvolt and m18 fuel.   This is how I see it, the flexvolt feels more solid, like a corded model. It feels more more powerful, no matter the tests I have seen what I have experienced is that I like the flexvolt better in hand and have felt no difference in vibration and I find the blade holder to hold better than the m18 especially with the teeth facing backwards.

The m18's advantages are the hook and ability to use a smaller i.e. Lighter battery so it can be more convienant when doing up high work or working off a ladder.

BIG NOTE TO DEWALT: Make a add on hook!  It will sell. 

• Like 2