Greetings folks,

Hoping to dial into some wisdom from anyone familiar with maintenance for an old Craftsman (Atlas) grinder/honer I just acquired. Craftsman is the manufacturer, but I have a feeling that Atlas actually manufactured the machine and they were sold under the Craftsman label. Anyway, the machine is likely 60+ years old (run perfectly well), and I got it as part of a package from an old metal worker. It is mounted to a rolling bench, which I loaded (horizontally) in my truck when I picked it up. When I got home and set the bench right side up, fluid began to drain out of the grinder wheel side of the machine. In I located the Atlas Griner-Hone Manual.pdf online and based on what I've read, I presume the leaking fluid (lubricant) is transmission fluid. The Atlas 2400 manual says to use SAE 90 Transmission Fluid as the lubricant. I am no lubricant/transmission fluid expert, but I've been told there is a big difference between synthetic and regular fluid. 

If you own or have experience maintaining this machine, my (rookie) question is - What type of fluid (that is currently sold) would you recommend?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Eric

Honer 1.jpg

Grinder 3.jpg

• Like 1