what does everyone do for a living

WeldfabNeil

What does everyone do for a living? 

I work at a job shop specializing in the oil an gas industry. My main job is welding but I do some fabrication as well. I have done a little manual machining but could really improve on that. Most of the time I am in the shop but occasionally go on field service calls. Right now I am in a truck going to a well site. 

I also pick up side jobs as often as I can. Just welding repairs mainly. Nothing big but it pays. 

• Like 3

I'm an Infantry Drill Sergeant.  Used to turn wrenches for a living, and will be starting an as-yet undetermined new career in as little as five years, but for now I simply work 16+ hour days turning little kids into Soldiers.

• Like 4

I started my career sweeping floors, during summer holidays, and part time while in school, the year I finished school they offered me an apprenticeship in the machine shop, 4 short years later I became one of the youngest Journeyman A inter provincial machinist. back then only needed grade 10 to get into trades. I continued as a machinist for 7 years,  I then was offered to train to become a fabrication engineer, back to trade school and continued as a machinist part time. I then became specialized in metallurgy and welding production manufacturing processes. I remained doing that for another 14 years. I then turned the page and became a fabrication consultant  for another 6 years before I finished up some testing to become a welding inspector until I retired. ( I was still consulting at the same time) this was all with the same company and was never laid off 

• Like 4

Electronics repair, TVs mostly but I am also the only one that works on reel to reel machines at the shop and apparently in most of Florida. You'd think reel to reels would be pretty uncommon but I've repaired and sent out eight machines this year, have four at the shop in line and one waiting on parts. Also work on low vision machines, apparently that's really rare too...I have a guy driving down to Tampa from the panhandle, no one in Georgia or Alabama works on them, I'm the closest one. Other than reel to reels, I do a little bit of audio stuff; occasionally mixers, turntables and amps.

• Like 3

Worked about 3 years doing dairy work/operating heavy equipment/construction/plumbing/cow shit/electrical/facility maintenance/farm equipment operator/on road trucking. Went exclusively farm equipment operator for a few months. Did fabrication in the shop for a while. Spent the fall driving truck off and on and then Thanksgiving to Christmas between here and Oregon driving truck mixed with freezing my ass off dealing with frozen shit. Was mobile service/repair and I think had the title Maintenance and Equipment Manager for all 223 vehicles from January through Mid May. Worked as interim mechanic for a few weeks there. Just heavy trucks and equipment. Seen some shit including dealing with a rollover that shut down a whole bridge and pass for half a day. Currently in charge of Hay cutting operations and co-manage the rest of the harvest process. The pay is shit, but at the end of the day does the experience and job description make it enjoyable and worth doing? No. It's what I do though.

• Like 1

at my morning job I work at the university California of riverside UCR as a storekeeper I place, inventory and receive orders from local food vendors I work in the freezers -6 in those mugs ☹️ And my second job I work at a body shop called fenderbenderz where I mostly paint but love to do mechanic work also, I HATE doing body work! Such a pain in the ass ? 

• Like 4

I work in a manufacturing plant for modular roof and wall panels. Used to spray foam out in the field, now spray in a shop environment, set up equipment, monitor robots soon lol, as well as different odds and ends at the shop from drywall, to drop anchors, to repairing hydraulic and electric equipment, etc. Currently running a large bandsaw for a few weeks cutting steel for a machinist. Quite a wide variety of tasks and hats so days go quick, the resume covers a fairly broad spectrum and most days I learn something new (which is good considering I've been at it for about ten years, nothing worse than boredom). 

• Like 2

Well hummmm, let's see... My old man has was a licensed builder all my life and I can recall being on his jobs since I was about 6. My grandfather on my mother's side was a general contractor, my uncle(dad's brother) a general contractor and building inspector, another uncle (stepmom's brother) a carpenter and tile guy, well you get the gist, I'm from a family of builders.  

So out of high school I got into home electronic and appliance sales(makes sense right?), which led into home theater installation, which led in part to custom commercial AV systems and TV repair.  I worked for a very large company doing this and had a corporate card with basically an unlimited tool budget as long as it was justified to do my job(that was nice just saying).  Well the company which is primarily retail had a crummy year and they started looking for reasons to reduce head count, apparently doing what your boss tells you to do is a way to get fired(corporate bean counters got me for letting my assistant do my paperwork)..... So I fell back on my DNA and started doing work for my uncle (stepmom's Brother), my dad and other uncle have retired or got old whatever... Over the past couple years I've mostly worked on additions, roofs, siding, remodeling, home maintenance and repairs.  Two winter's ago my brother in law asked me to help him on a remodel and we've been working steadily ever since, he started a damage mitigation company last summer with his buddy but since he has become the the sole owner and me the sole employee.  Between damage mitigation jobs we also general contract all kinds of stuff with him as the "GC" and me the on site "foreman" which is a glorified way of saying I'm there to work, answer the questions for our sub contractors, and keep our random laborers busy.  We currently are building a custom lake home, a pole barn, remodeling a fire damaged home and have 4 roofs on the books.   Shameless plug for our website:

http://firewindandwater.com

• Like 3

I started working summers. My first job was a detasseler which is only a 2 week per year job in the hottest part of July. Pay is decent but it wasn't a fun job so I didn't apply for the next year. I went to go work for a mowing company for a few years. Best job I have ever had. My dad made me get a part time job during the school year starting in 11th grade. I got a job at Pizza Hut and stayed with it for 5 years which included most of college. Now I work for a small General Contractor in the town of 3000 I live in. We do a wide variety of stuff. Mostly new construction and remodels. 

• Like 3

Worked in the Family remolding business till I was 19 left and went to work for the local utility for 38 years. Worked at their Nuclear plant for 5 years in the weld shop then moved over to the Gas construction side as a pipe line mechanic and welder then moved up crew leader then foreman. These days I have returned to my roots and have my own remodeling company.

• Like 5

I have been in construction all my working life. I would go on jobsites with my dad when I was 8 or 9. Worked at a remodeling company during high school and full time my freshman year of college. Decided I loved construction and quit school and haven't looked back. In 2001 I started my company along with 2 other partners. One guy left quite awhile ago and it is just myself, my partner, and a helper. We build custom homes and do remodeling work.

• Like 4

I build websites and iPhone applications for a living. I started building websites in middle school and just never stopped. Went to college for digital design in 2005, graduated in 2007 and was working for a small company. We built projects for the BBC and several other large companies. I quit in 2010 over Christmas break because of all the stress the were causing and the late paychecks. From 2010-2011 I did freelance work for individuals and companies. In 2011 I started my own design and development company with my brother, it can be hit or miss with work because smaller businesses want everything and the kitchen sink for the price of a coffee and larger businesses want a team bigger than two people. I've been interested in metalworking and woodworking lately and want to turn that into a side project or next career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

For the past 18 years, I've been a Lab Technician in a power plant.  I am responsible for making sure all of the water in the plant is in spec, handle waste, test fuels, perform environmental rounds, and just about anything else the company can pile on.  Prior to that, I was a lab tech at a waste water treatment plant, a lab tech in an environmental lab and a geoprobe operator/field tech that collected enviromental soil and water samples.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I put random lengths of white pipe together with Elmer's glue to make your poop go out of your house when u flush the toilet

Well on behalf of all of the poopers out there, I doff my hat to you sir! Bravo sir! Bra-avo!

• Like 4

I'm a masonry contractor. Foundations, chimneys, stone veneer, bricks, etc. I started going to work with my dad when I was 7. Full time when I was 16. Started my own business when I was 28. I've never done anything else except a second job as a pizza delivery guy. I always tell my wife I lay things all day and when I get home I'd like to have it happen to me! :)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bmill25 said:

I always tell my wife I lay things all day and when I get home I'd like to have it happen to me! :)

So fallowing that logic..... If I were to say to my wife, I beat on wood all day when I get home I'd like you to........ I digress..... Ya um she'd call me gay and someone would sleep on the couch...

• Like 6

At the moment? Railroad Conductor. Been at it going on 14 years now, so pretty much my entire adult life. Was once a premier job in my area, but with all the complexities of the coal market, it's been a rough couple of years. 

In 6 months I might have a different answer, just never know. 

• Like 2