Flexvolt Circular Saw in ToughSystem

jtkendall

Anyone storing a Flexvolt circular saw in a ToughSystem? I got the saw in the bag that comes with it (barely) but I don't like how tight of a fit it is. It's like Dewalt sends a bag with their kits that will technically zipper shut, but with zero clearance. My 611 router with plunge base kit is the same way, bag shuts, but just barely.

If you're storing the saw in a ToughSystem, which size are you using? It should fit in a 300, but the 400 might be better for extra clearance and to fit some accessories. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stand the stupid bags DeWalt's using these days, I actually like the plastic cases, when they do include them, I can't speak to the fit for ToughSystem but in my opinion I'd recommend the larger, more room for blades etc.

• Like 1

I guess I would always error on the side of caution? I think either will do, but if you want to store additional accessories, like you said then maybe the larger box? Also, online the price difference on them is  about $11.00 American dollars. So for that, I am definitely going with the 400.

FB82

• Like 1

I keep mine in a DS300 with a rip fence, speed square, vac attachment, and another half a dozen blade. Only difference between it in a 300 and 400 is a tray above the saw that does very little for me; there's already room around the saw for accessories. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

I keep mine in a DS300 with a rip fence, speed square, vac attachment, and another half a dozen blade. Only difference between it in a 300 and 400 is a tray above the saw that does very little for me; there's already room around the saw for accessories. 

That's great to know. I don't think I'm going to have all that many accessories, probably just extra blades so if you have all of that in a 300 then it definitely will work for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

I can't stand the stupid bags DeWalt's using these days, I actually like the plastic cases, when they do include them, I can't speak to the fit for ToughSystem but in my opinion I'd recommend the larger, more room for blades etc.

The Makita lunchbox/cooler style bags are the style I think they should be using for large items. I don't know who decided that a bag that you have to pull together and zip makes sense for a saw or router, but it doesn't seem like they actually had to try and put the items in it before making the decision.

3 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

I guess I would always error on the side of caution? I think either will do, but if you want to store additional accessories, like you said then maybe the larger box? Also, online the price difference on them is  about $11.00 American dollars. So for that, I am definitely going with the 400.

FB82

I'm probably going to end up getting one of each. Home Depot has a $20 off deal for Dewalt purchases of $100 or more. I probably would have just got the 400 if Bremon hadn't commented about the 300 because I would rather have a box that is too large than one that is too small.

• Like 1

I agree with @jkeating3, my only DS400 is for nailers. I may get one at some point for hand tools or something, but the DS400 is 100mm taller than the DS300; 4 inches. It takes up more space in a stack, a truck, a van, a shed, etc. I try to be as lean as possible with my boxes; planning what's going in well before buying them lol. DS300 is perfect for a saw I feel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

I agree with @jkeating3, my only DS400 is for nailers. I may get one at some point for hand tools or something, but the DS400 is 100mm taller than the DS300; 4 inches. It takes up more space in a stack, a truck, a van, a shed, etc. I try to be as lean as possible with my boxes; planning what's going in well before buying them lol. DS300 is perfect for a saw I feel. 

Touche'. I didn't really consider the "storage process" of storing the box.. if that makes sense. Having a plan of attack for what you are going to put in the system is the way to go.

10 hours ago, framer said:

maybe its just me, but i just dont see the point of a expensive bulky box just to store a saw.

I look at it as containing the tool and all of its consumables in the same place. I am in charge or all of the skills and robotics teams at my school so I build at work, but have no dedicated shop there. Being able to grab one box from home and know it has the tool and all the blades I might need is valuable to me. The tough box isn't perfect for this but it's still a pretty good solution.

TStak is a nicer workshop box, ToughSystem allows extra room for a drill, impact, etc. I store my tools in my basement, most of my projects take place either outside, the garage, or taking various tools to work. ToughSystem means I can toss them in the box of my truck, not buy a tonneau cover, and not worry about weather. The main important aspect of a modular system for me is organization; I get exactly what I need for a task and don't have to reorganize boxes, I can stack my gear for a compact footprint, and it keeps my storage and work areas cleaner. Cleanliness is next to godliness after all lol.