Question about impact wrench torque

So I purchased a Milwaukee 2663-20 to work on my future car. With 450 ft-lbs of torque advertsied, I figured it would be nice to unbolt hard bolts if required. 

I was reading the back of the box and noticed the breakaway torque is actually much higher, 640 ft-lbs. So this means if I would hypothetically torque something to 640 ft-lbs I could undo it with this?

Hypothetically, probably not. There's a lot of variables. If you had ideal material conditions and an ideal way to apply constant torque to tighten it and bring it up to 650 ft/lbs then you would have a bolt torqued to 650 ft/lbs. The breakaway torque required to get a fastener with a static load moving again in the opposite direction is generally higher than the torque that was applied to a moving fastener in the other direction. What does 650 ft/lbs equate to as far as how high a bolt was torqued to? I dunno. All that spec means is that it will put out 650 ft/lbs of torque in reverse. So enough for fasteners on a light duty vehicle. 

12 hours ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Why? If something is torqued to X value with a torque wrench or somehing else it will be the same torque.

What stercorius above me said. There is a difference between torque put on a bolt with an impact wrench and torque you put on with a manual torque wrench.

Sterco is correct. There is a difference in breakaway torque and the torque applied in tightening. Breakaway torque is the maximum initial force applied when busting a fastener loose. I'm no engineer, but as I understand it, it can take like twice as much breakaway torque to loosen a fastner meaning an impact with 640 ft-lb of breakaway would realistically loosen a fastner with an applied torque value of around 320 ft-lb.

There are a lot of variables for friction and such, but I think 1/2 the breakaway torque is probably a fairly decent ballpark estimate. 

http://www.myir.com/am-en/solutions/garage-solutions/maximum-impact-enewsletter/feature-articles/impact-gun-torque-ratings-science-or-magic

This is an Interesting read. ingersoll rand explanation of what the different torque values should mean. They explicitly mention that nutbursting torque is the torque on a bolt that your impact wrench can loosen if it has been torqued up by other means then an impact wrench ( they have the example of a manual torque wrench).

That would imply there is a difference between torque applied  with an hammer mechanism or by rotational 'power' from a manual torque wrench