Can I replace EU plugin with USA plugin?

farwest1889

I put a last second bid on a dremel on ebay without going to options and choosing USA only seller like I usually do when I buy powertools on ebay. It looks like its got two round plug ins instead of flat, can I take off plugin and put a USA plugin on it? Seller is from china. I asked if it had a USA plugin on it and seller said it did but just in case would I be able to install a USA cord on it?

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Like Atlas said, you need to check the power rating. Some products you can switch the power rating but generally, nowadays, you can't.

You can buy a step-up transformer for pretty cheap. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=step+up+transformer

Again, you will need to check the power draw and get something rated appropriately.

I'll tell a little story. The other day we decide to try out an ac unit at our jobsite. It is a 220v unit. We asked our electrician if we could change out the plug to work with a standard 110v outlet. He said its more involved than simply switching out a plug. He said you would have to open up the motor and stuff to convert to 110v. I would guess it would be a similar situation when converting 230v electronics to 110v. If you have access to a 220v outlet that may work.

On 6/23/2017 at 8:42 PM, Jronman said:

I'll tell a little story. The other day we decide to try out an ac unit at our jobsite. It is a 220v unit. We asked our electrician if we could change out the plug to work with a standard 110v outlet. He said its more involved than simply switching out a plug. He said you would have to open up the motor and stuff to convert to 110v. I would guess it would be a similar situation when converting 230v electronics to 110v. If you have access to a 220v outlet that may work.

You could have changed out the receptacle then put a 240 double breaker in the panel, relocate the neutral wire from the neutral bar to the breaker so you would have two hots to the receptacle... At least that's what I would do if I desperately wanted a/c quick

• 1 month later...

It should work fine, if its built for the correct voltage. I recently got a Makita DC18RD twin charger for really cheap from UK. Took me minute to change plug to EU standard one, work just like its supposed to.

• 4 years later...
On 8/27/2017 at 7:59 AM, aessu said:

It should work fine, if its built for the correct voltage. I recently got a Makita DC18RD twin charger for really cheap from UK. Took me minute to change plug to EU standard one, work just like its supposed to.

I would change my EU socket to UK socket instead of changing the UK plug to EU plug :)))