farwest1889

Can I replace EU plugin with USA plugin?

farwest1889    0

I put a last second bid on a dremel on ebay without going to options and choosing USA only seller like I usually do when I buy powertools on ebay. It looks like its got two round plug ins instead of flat, can I take off plugin and put a USA plugin on it? Seller is from china. I asked if it had a USA plugin on it and seller said it did but just in case would I be able to install a USA cord on it?

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Atlas2000    105

Most of Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, etc. uses 230 volt 50 Hz with the two pin plug. So if that's what it was designed for, you won't be able to just put a US 120 volt plug on. Hopefully the seller was on the level and it is designed for US specs..

BMack37    3,614

Like Atlas said, you need to check the power rating. Some products you can switch the power rating but generally, nowadays, you can't.

You can buy a step-up transformer for pretty cheap. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=step+up+transformer

Again, you will need to check the power draw and get something rated appropriately.

Jronman    738

I'll tell a little story. The other day we decide to try out an ac unit at our jobsite. It is a 220v unit. We asked our electrician if we could change out the plug to work with a standard 110v outlet. He said its more involved than simply switching out a plug. He said you would have to open up the motor and stuff to convert to 110v. I would guess it would be a similar situation when converting 230v electronics to 110v. If you have access to a 220v outlet that may work.

KnarlyCarl    4,942
On 6/23/2017 at 8:42 PM, Jronman said:

I'll tell a little story. The other day we decide to try out an ac unit at our jobsite. It is a 220v unit. We asked our electrician if we could change out the plug to work with a standard 110v outlet. He said its more involved than simply switching out a plug. He said you would have to open up the motor and stuff to convert to 110v. I would guess it would be a similar situation when converting 230v electronics to 110v. If you have access to a 220v outlet that may work.

You could have changed out the receptacle then put a 240 double breaker in the panel, relocate the neutral wire from the neutral bar to the breaker so you would have two hots to the receptacle... At least that's what I would do if I desperately wanted a/c quick

DR99    2,058

Some UK stuff runs on 110 because they run that voltage on job sites.

rbacon705    59

As long as it is 110V it should work fine.

I have changed countless plugs from Uk to Au and they work fine.