Keeping a portfolio

WeldfabNeil

Does any of the crew keep pictures/details of their work? 

I was thinking of starting something for future reference. Not sure how detailed to go. Part of me wants to keep organized drawings an specs for future reference. The other part sais a quick picture is good enough. What is the crews thoughts? 

I take pics and occasionally a few notes of the projects I do but that's for my personal "memoirs", my brother in law on the other hand does keep detailed files, but he runs the business, works with banks, insurance, home owners, so he spends at least 1 day a week on files/paperwork and sends out updates.

I wish I had. I have some pictures but I would kill to have documentation of the work I've done and when. I have a hard time convincing people about some of the things I've done. I do keep a lot of pictures of some of the more unusual ones because they're neat. I just wish I had documentation of some sort from when I was sixteen running 8" mainlines by myself and those kinds of things. Basically a resume to show potential employers of what I am capable of.  Most of what I have is more of the "man you wouldn't believe what happened to..." I'm interested to see how everyone else keeps track.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

Does any of the crew keep pictures/details of their work? 

I was thinking of starting something for future reference. Not sure how detailed to go. Part of me wants to keep organized drawings an specs for future reference. The other part sais a quick picture is good enough. What is the crews thoughts? 

I personally do. I think it is a good thing for your "construction" portfolio. I usually keep a few photos, print and some specs on each project. Not only for my personal use, but also for the opportunity to advance myself with future work.

I don't know if I have anything for the projects I built in high school but I should be able to find plans for the stuff I built in college. I can try and get pictures of the stuff I have built. I can even post a few of my future projects if anyone is interested in seeing the drawings. I have a side job to build an "information center" as the customer is calling it and a bookshelf with doors. Other projects that are more just personal ideas that may or may not get built I'm planing are a new tv stand, bookshelf with drawers, elevated bed that could have function underneath like built in drawers or shelving or a place to sit, L-shaped computer desk, custom workbench, and dinning table. I probably have other ideas that I can't think of at the moment that I may or may not build but these should keep me busy for awhile.