First cutting board

rrich1

We are going on vacation later this month to Cali. My aunt is allowing us to stay at their house for the week just outside of LA. As a thank k you I decided to make them a cutting board. I had some walnut, maple, and padauk on hand. Also some cherry but I haven't cut any of it. This will be an edge grain cutting board. Here are a couple of designs I messed around with. Thoughts? Favorite? I'm indecisive so input is appreciated. 414399324c09a19f5365002109a9fb8c.jpg046a32ca694edc6b1f8076bd3d73fadb.jpg472132e12b5d0e9c23404917886bda50.jpg1a795f1a9b696a060e9d5ccbff4b493d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Got the cutting board all but done today. Put a first coat of oil on. I eased over the edges with sandpaper. I went back and forth using a round over or chamfer bit but liked the eased edge better. Terrible lighting where I put the oil on. I'll get a better pic later. 0b120ca26a21ad5d086fca635789796d.jpg43aae670f09866e698a5ec37cdd55235.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Are you talking about one of builybyn8's southwire wire strippers giveaway?

Yes! I always love seeing the crew win. The crew has been knocking it out of the park recently

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Looks good there, i was working on making some end grain cutting boards but got way sidetracked with quite a few things here and there and have forgot about it. I want to pick it back up in the winter..

Do you have a drum sander? how do you plan to flatten the cutting board?

On 7/15/2017 at 10:02 PM, rrich1 said:

Is that what you used? Do they work good? I have always wondered but have never had the chance to try one.. I would want to use a thickness planer for flattening it, then little sanding with random orbital.. but always interested in new ways the try things.

59 minutes ago, Jscott said:

Is that what you used? Do they work good? I have always wondered but have never had the chance to try one.. I would want to use a thickness planer for flattening it, then little sanding with random orbital.. but always interested in new ways the try things.

Mine is not an end grain cutting board so I used my planer. I used my orbital sander and a little hand sanding it called it a day. 

On 7/15/2017 at 10:02 PM, rrich1 said:

I made a practice one and ran it through my planer with sacrificial boards out the front and back ends to prevent sniping, and made it narrow enough to fit through the planer. It worked really well. Then i'll run a ROS on it

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Mine is not an end grain cutting board so I used my planer. I used my orbital sander and a little hand sanding it called it a day. 

Ic I would prob still use the same method never really considered the end grain needing to be done differently.

face board versus end grain boards...

end grain boards will self heal better suited for cutting

face gran boards will cut grain and will stay cut

face boards are more suitable for less cutting and more serving.'

• Like 1

On 7/22/2017 at 10:06 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

I made a practice one and ran it through my planer with sacrificial boards out the front and back ends to prevent sniping, and made it narrow enough to fit through the planer. It worked really well. Then i'll run a ROS on it

Ive seen MTM wood? on youtube do that same process. seems to work well. would like to see what you come up with later. 

On 7/22/2017 at 11:23 AM, Jscott said:

Ic I would prob still use the same method never really considered the end grain needing to be done differently.

I had an acquaintance run an end grain board through a planer and the entire board exploded. I'm not sure if he tried to take too much off in a single pass or there was some weakness in the glue up, but to hear him tell the story it was impressive and terrifying all at once.  I don't know what the state of the planer was after the event, but I don't know that I'd like to repeat his experiment.

2 hours ago, khariV said:

I had an acquaintance run an end grain board through a planer and the entire board exploded. I'm not sure if he tried to take too much off in a single pass or there was some weakness in the glue up, but to hear him tell the story it was impressive and terrifying all at once.  I don't know what the state of the planer was after the event, but I don't know that I'd like to repeat his experiment.

Wow sounds like something was off that's crazy.. I've seen it done with no problem but never made a end grain one myself.. definitely something to pay attention to.. that would be a exciting day in the work shop lol

8 minutes ago, khariV said:

Found this post on TWW about end-grain planing. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/end-grain-through-the-planer/

That is a good article. looks like I will be stepping my hand plane game up before I start with end grain cutting boards lol.. thickness planers are to expensive to risk breaking it. And I just don't see how I could fit a drum sander in my work shop 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few more cutting boards in glue up.bthe second one will be cut and flipped as well. These are not technically end grain boards. They are still edge grain. What are the chances they blow up on me in the planer? There is a festival this coming weekend and my neighbor has a booth. They said I could put some items in to see if they sell. I have never done this before but plan to make a few more boards and crosses as well to see if they sell. If not no big deal. It would be nice to get some money back from all the purchases. a623547ab95c7503abc7f28820417f70.jpg70dcfa61fa58fa22b8ce427ad89786e1.jpg

• Like 3