Any welders in the house???

WeldfabNeil

So who here is a welder??? What type of welding do you do???

Personally I am a welder/fabricator an every now an then a real basic machinist. Mainly I run stick or wire feed. I can do some tig but it's not my strong point. I work in the oil an gas industry, usually in the shop but occasional field work.

you nailed it, interprovincial Machinist for 19 yrs then went on to Fabrication engineer, then on to welding instructor until retirement.

certified in:

mig

tig

stainless

pipe/high pressure

aluminum

magnesium

stick

submerged arc

.1 .2 .3 .4  .5 .6 .F .G .R

SMAW E6010 root with E7018 filler cap and GTAW combo

stack of dimes baby all day long, any kind of metal....lol

• Like 1

I've reparied a stick welder, that they threw away at work. :D (HPU fabrication facility)

Tried some smaller welding projects in SS 316/316L steel, bolts, and 316 piping, that I could get hold of. Was not as easy as I had estimated, but I think I'm making progress. :P

Really want me a TIG though, becouse I need the higher precicion for my relatively smal projects, and thin sheets. The sheets warps like crazy. 

This weekend, I'm probably start on a frame for a combined ramp/"trolley", so I can get the computer into the van. Should be fun. 

that would most likely be 2030 stainless.....

as for the critiquing, it's a matter of standards. I have tested many welds pass and fails.... some times the look is only skin deep.....or should I say skin thin....

• Like 1

Whats the best method to weld aluminium?

Have to fix a leak, but I only got DC stick welder, so perhaps brazing or an special "alu-weld" brazing product could do the trick.

My brother got an Mig welder though, could they do the trick?

if you have never welded aluminium with any method you are better off just getting some aluminium brazing rod ...

everything you know about welding is different when it comes to welding aluminium......tricky stuff......

• Like 2

if you have never welded aluminium with any method you are better off just getting some aluminium brazing rod ...

everything you know about welding is different when it comes to welding aluminium......tricky stuff......

Yeah, you are probably right, and it might be the solution for now.

Though, it is no rush, just a large radiator I'd like to repair, so I could possibly train a bit. And to be honest, the training bit is important. Doesn't have to be pretty.

Gotta clean it up and make the leak hole as small as possible.

Edit: That knipex 16" is really getting a hard time loosing up those 58 mm couplings. :P

couple quick tips to remember welding aluminum, 

clean aluminum with acetone even new pieces of aluminum creates a thin coating of aluminum oxide, problem it melts at a much higher temp than the aluminum itself, even the rod so clean both.....

spray the area with acetone scrub with stainless steel brush, rinse with water let completely dry.....the welding process will clean the aluminum but usually not enough to remove all contaminates. same goes with the welding rod clean it as well.

best to pre-heat item to at around 350 degrees, fit all pieces and try not to have any gaps the less gaps the better if you can clamp tight is better yet.

as your welding, aluminum will continue to get hotter and hotter you must compensate for this......

hope this helps.....

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been welding since 1988.  When I started, everyone had to be able to weld with oxy-acyetolene first before you could move on to any other processes.  I am also certified in arc welding in flat position.  I also mig weld a fair bit.  In my previous career I welded for 21 years in my families business.  But now I just weld for fun in my work shop.  I still run an Airco 225, I have a Lincoln 100 mig welder.  I have a Hobart CI 250 plasma cutter  to round out my iron works. Take care and thanks for listening,

• Like 1