What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Didn't have time to take a pic, but today I got a 5 lb. pick mattock, garden rake, and 4 lb. short handled sledgehammer, all Razorback. Also picked up a 3M Roloc kit to use the 2" scotchbrite discs on my die grinder. 

Still upset set that I won't be here tomorrow to get my spiffy new axe ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BMack37 said:

It's nicer than I expected. You know how the Ryobi corded stuff at HD feels cheap and flimsy? This does not.

Really my only hangup is I'd want it for my side job, but my real job and side job are the same....... Real job already has a badass Hitachi.  Only difference between real and side is how I get paid!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conductor562 said:

I dunno man, looks pretty good as is. Clean up the table/fence, but the paint looks pretty nice from the pics. 

it really is in great shape. im in the process of cleaning it. got the back cover off to get out all the dust and wood shavings. plan to take a wire wheel to the blades to clean them up and see how it performs. will hold off doing anything major for a while. but man to get it all clean and matching the drill press would look so sweet. 

I stopped by Builders today hoping to find a ds400 and a combination lock for the door I just built. I left the store instead with a lock, no ds400, and possibly my first Milwaukee purchase. I found a ds450 but I wasn't interested in it. The first Milwaukee product I got was a 5 pack of pruning blades. Neither the Milwaukee or the Diablo pruning blades I looked at were painted. The teeth look discolored on both blades not sure why. Looks cool. The Milwaukee was a 5 pack at around $3 a blade vs the Diablo that was a 1 pack at around $10 a blade. Looks like they will do wonders on trees and bushes. They have same/similar kerf and length as my Lenox wood demo blades but the height is less. I may try out some ax carbide in the future to see how they compare but not right now because they are a bit pricey. 

Happened upon a deal on the FlexVolt circular saw. Been jonesing for it for a while. Quite excited to get it in my hands. OT is being cut out at work for the next while so I had intended to keep my Fuel 2731 (which is fantastic) but I'll likely part with it. Luckily the deal on the yellow is good enough I'll end up with a stronger saw for free and some cash in hand. 

• Like 2

Well, my axe came today, but I had no time to enjoy it. What a weekend so far!

Friday I got up at 0400, accompanied my daughter's 5th grade class to Montecello in Charlottesville, VA and back for an 18 hour day. 

Today I started at 0900 helping one of Mrs. Conductor's friends move. We know the couple well. They were our neighbors at our first home, their kids play on my basketball teams, and so on. They are in the process of a divorce and it's pretty messy. I'm making my 2nd load with her brother, and the husband's family shows up (mom, dad, uncle, cousins, grandma, like 10 people, all pissed off wanting to know everything I've taken. I was under the impression this was already sorted out, but it clearly was not. After seperating  a near throw down with the husband and the brother, things cooled down and went fairly smooth from there on. They had no issues with me as I tend to get along with most everyone, but it was a shitty situation to be thrust into.

When all that was over, I went to pick up a load of new shit at the furniture store at which time we discovered that unbeknownst to her, the husband had canceled her debit card and cleaned out her account. The kids had no beds, they had no couch, no TV, what a mess. I wrote a check for it with the understanding that I'll get it back when her tax return comes, so we'll just hope it works out. 

Then I went to HD, got to put up 4 ceiling fans, walked in the door at home a little after 0100, and have to go back tomorrow to assemble and hang curtains and decorations and shit. 

The single highlight of my day was that I snagged a couple of my favorite Dewalt 25' tape measures for $7 each at HD. 

What a weekend ?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bremon said:

You're a good man @Conductor562, good on you for fronting the cash. Those situations are almost always nightmares. No beds for the kids...some people's priorities...?

They HAD beds, but the dad took them (even though the mom has custody) because he says he bought them. Same reason he took her sweeper, the kids bikes, and just about everything else ?

Long story short, he started working out of town, got on dope, and they ended up losing their house. They moved into a rental, and in 5 months got an eviction notice because he'd never paid the first month rent and a drug dealer came to the house looking for money. She left and with good reason. Her mom's dead, her dad is in prison for molesting her autistic son, and she has nobody. His plan is that if he makes it hard enough on her, she'll have to stay with him. He took most of her clothes, and actually cut all her bra's in half. Real piece of shit after he got on dope. Meanwhile she works 2 jobs and pulls 14 hour days to take care of her kids without any government assistance. As good a person as you'll ever meet. Mrs. Conductor and I have gotten our extensive social circle involved and everything is going to be fine. This is the type of situation where small communities like ours really shine. She got all the help she needed, and never had to ask for it. My mom took her to Sam's and bought $600 worth of groceries, I spent $300 at HD, another friend of ours bought her a sweeper, mop, and cleaning supplies, etc. 

Her apartment requires any electrical/lighting upgrades to be signed off on by a licensed electrician. I had one there at 10:00 last night to sign off on my work and he didn't charge a dime. 

Hard to beat our little town in times like these. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Bremon said:

Happened upon a deal on the FlexVolt circular saw. Been jonesing for it for a while. Quite excited to get it in my hands. OT is being cut out at work for the next while so I had intended to keep my Fuel 2731 (which is fantastic) but I'll likely part with it. Luckily the deal on the yellow is good enough I'll end up with a stronger saw for free and some cash in hand. 

nice find. I got to hold a flexvolt circ saw yesterday and noticed it had a different safety button than the 20v circ saw. Makes you push to the side instead of down. An interesting change.

8 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I just bought the Gorilla 17' extension flexi bendy wide ladder at HD for $79! Apparently it's in super sale for the weekend so normally it's $159. That's a great deal. 

I bought the 22' version of that ladder yesterday.  Last one they had in stock for $99 usually $199.  Bought the Werner version last year, so day I like this one better.  Easier to operate and my Werner is only rated for 250lbs, which I'm just a little over that without tools. This one is rated for 375 lbs, I should be good now ?

• Like 1

Not much excitement today. Went to HD to pick up a 12'x24' roll of lenolium for Mrs. Conductor's grandpa's house and grabbed a Dewalt chalk line and some red chalk. 

IMG_7012.JPG.ad9385ac3f576722972dfe07d01b308e.JPG

My other one is one of the very few tools I have that belonged to my grandfather, so I never take it anywhere on a project for fear of losing it. 

There were some fancier options, but I liked this one for it's classic look, all metal construction, and thin profile.

• Like 1