What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Today I reached a milestone. I've been toying with buying a new biscut joiner for awhile now. I haven't had much time for woodworking over the last couple of years, but as I've been getting back into it, I've got a little catching up to do.

Today I ordered the Dewalt DW682K:

IMG_7438.JPG.6238cfc4de9285646ef9f70faa875b71.JPG

I was torn between this and the PC 557, actually liked the 557 a little better, but I just didn't like it $50 more. 

The milestone is that by ordering this, I've gotten rid of my last Harbor Freight power tool. Good riddance. It was crudely functional, but that's about as positive as I can be.

IMG_7437.thumb.JPG.d4e8b2ab1e920942519633f751e8e11c.JPG

I parlayed my saving on the biscuit joiner into a set of Kreg setup bars:

IMG_7439.thumb.JPG.e3eaa21025fb5857f83fc19ad78868eb.JPG

I was torn between these and the Carter F.A.S.T. bars, but I chose these as they are geared more toward router setup whereas the Carters are designed more for a bandsaw. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, rfwjr said:

On 4-9-17 Home Depot will have a one day only sale.  The Ego 530 CFM blower for $99,  I bought it today and will get them to refund the difference tomorrow.

58e97d6bb41ae_Egoblower.thumb.jpg.3c198d0e3925526456678f080d39f5d7.jpg

I am sooooo tempted!!

.... Except it's on store only, no chance I'm driving that hour to HD...

23 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

Today I reached a milestone. I've been toying with buying a new biscut joiner for awhile now. I haven't had much time for woodworking over the last couple of years, but as I've been getting back into it, I've got a little catching up to do.

Today I ordered the Dewalt DW682K:

IMG_7438.JPG.6238cfc4de9285646ef9f70faa875b71.JPG

I was torn between this and the PC 557, actually liked the 557 a little better, but I just didn't like it $50 more. 

The milestone is that by ordering this, I've gotten rid of my last Harbor Freight power tool. Good riddance. It was crudely functional, but that's about as positive as I can be.

IMG_7437.thumb.JPG.d4e8b2ab1e920942519633f751e8e11c.JPG

I parlayed my saving on the biscuit joiner into a set of Kreg setup bars:

IMG_7439.thumb.JPG.e3eaa21025fb5857f83fc19ad78868eb.JPG

I was torn between these and the Carter F.A.S.T. bars, but I chose these as they are geared more toward router setup whereas the Carters are designed more for a bandsaw. 

What do you plan on using the biscuit joiner for? I can't decide if I "Need" one or not :) I have borrowed one at work a few times. But I also have used a slot bit to do the job.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-8-in-Carbide-Tipped-3-Flute-Router-Bit-Slot-Cutter-with-1-4-in-Shank-733126-4A/205317457  I'm just kicking different ideas around.  The slot bits we have at work have bearings on both sides of the cutter.

52 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

What do you plan on using the biscuit joiner for? I can't decide if I "Need" one or not :) I have borrowed one at work a few times. But I also have used a slot bit to do the job.  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1-8-in-Carbide-Tipped-3-Flute-Router-Bit-Slot-Cutter-with-1-4-in-Shank-733126-4A/205317457  I'm just kicking different ideas around.  The slot bits we have at work have bearings on both sides of the cutter.

Mostly edge joining for making table tops. Hence how I was able to get by with the HF piece of shit. Occasionally face frames for a hutch or something, but I got in the habit of using pocket holes because my joiner was such junk. I'm hoping having a nicer joiner will enable me to use more concealed joints. 

2 hours ago, rfwjr said:

Let us know how the router guide kits works.

I've already used it a little bit, thus far I really like it. It's really well thought out, in fact, tonight I ordered more Milescraft router accessories. I'm going to pick up their sign lettering kit soon too. 

My only gripe is that I wish they included washers for attaching the baseplate, the screw heads hold the baseplate fine but it seems like washers would be a good idea to spread the load in case of a drop or over-tightening.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 8:36 PM, rrich1 said:

Mobile base came in today. On sale for $55. Up to 500lb capacity. f68aa0d1cbd46c5b319791480f211f4e.jpg07f838909912492078b2b460723a5e5e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

is that meant to handle that old heavy iron? haha that jointer isn't meant to be moved lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rrich1 said:

February Bosch giveaway came in today. I was contacted by them last month about a delay in shipment so they said they would give me a laser for my wait! 120ft laser measurer! Thanks Bosch and TIA!

Excellent, that's great of them to do that!

I have a thing for Bosch and lasers, but my GPL3T laser torpedo level is yet again going glitchy with the power button, i have to bump it to make it turn on, just like the last time... But they actually gave me a full year warranty on the one i have currently, which is a replacement to the original i turned in for warranty, not simply picking up where the original warranty left off... that sounded confusing.....

• Like 1

is that meant to handle that old heavy iron? haha that jointer isn't meant to be moved lol

It moves very easy on the stand. The jointer looks much bigger than it is. The top is only 34" long.

Excellent, that's great of them to do that!

I have a thing for Bosch and lasers, but my GPL3T laser torpedo level is yet again going glitchy with the power button, i have to bump it to make it turn on, just like the last time... But they actually gave me a full year warranty on the one i have currently, which is a replacement to the original i turned in for warranty, not simply picking up where the original warranty left off... that sounded confusing.....

I love my Bosch tools. They have been great for me. Just wish hope they expand the line more.

I got what you are saying. I was really surprised. I would have been more than happy with a t shirt but I'll take the laser.

Today I spent a little money on a tool of a different kind. Conductor Jr. outgrew his old bat I bought him 2 years ago. He wanted a new bat last year, but the other 2 needed new bats more than him and I couldn't afford 3 bats, so I promised him if he'd use his old one again, I'd buy him the best bat money could buy next year knowing I'd only be buying one.  

Well, it's next year and he wasn't about to let me forget it. It's amazing how a kid remembers an offhand comment on some idle Monday a year ago, but they can't remember to turn a light off despite you telling them 15 times a day.

I took him to the local sporting goods shop and he informed them he wanted "the best bat in the world" ? They measured him up, had him swing some bats with a swing analyzer attached to them, and a little over $200 later we walked out with an Easton Mako Beast.

I absolutely dreaded the drive home. I don't think I've ever seen him so excited about anything, but I was more concerned about how "excited" Mrs. Conductor was going to be. She was kinda pissed, but hey, a promise to your kid is a promise to your kid. He's a strong hitter, and a bat like this could deliver his first Homerun. 

IMG_7469.thumb.JPG.2c1fa61c606b1fe9de886e0a8abefedc.JPG

• Like 9