What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 4/20/2017 at 6:20 AM, FlaveNico said:

NICEEEEEEE i have the Black impact and LOVE it, same goes for the Blower. Picked up my blower at home depot when they were discontinuing them for 39.00

Same here, love the blower. My boss has Milwaukee stuff, and has one of their versions. I never realized how useful a blower would be on a jobsite. Wanted one but didn't wanna pay full price, was very excited to see it marked down at the Home Depot for $40!

I also recieved the Sub-Compact set for christmas. Have yet to really put them through their paces, but they're very light weight. I've used the impact a bit more and it drove 6" Timberlock screws into 2x material no problem. But I used the Drill on site to drill holes in cedar shakes for stainless nails. It was much nicer to have that drill on my belt than the boss' Milwaukee. I actually spent a few minutes looking for it once before I realized it was still clipped to my belt. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 10:24 AM, sparky603 said:

Although my gen-1 Fuel drill was still going strong, with what I use them for, I can always use a little more grunt.

FuelSurgeDrillCombo.jpg

No man alive has ever said.... hmmm i have 2-3 drills i think thats plenty. I dont need anymore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sparky603 said:

At a buck per bit, was a good time to load up.

Daredevils.jpg

yeah at almost the price of a single 1 1/2 spade bit I bought a stack of them as well, since I only really use 1"+

They've gone down in quality though either that or cordless tools are just too stronk for them. These fuckers wreck your wrist when they bind...

2 hours ago, pancing said:

yeah at almost the price of a single 1 1/2 spade bit I bought a stack of them as well, since I only really use 1"+

They've gone down in quality though either that or cordless tools are just too stronk for them. These fuckers wreck your wrist when they bind...

I wouldn't buy smaller than 7/8" if I were purchasing them individually, but even if you figure $2.50 per for the sizes that and over, still a steal.

I think it's that the tools have just gotten so much more powerful. In an impact though, binding is of no consequence. I rarely use them in anything other than my impacts, a ship auger in my M18 HH still being my go-to.

I've got like a dozen extensions for them in various lengths. They work great for doing the same sort of thing I'm doing here with my SH, but the hole doesn't need to be 1-1/4" for the head of the extension to be able to follow, like it does with that setup.

StackedExtensions.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, sparky603 said:

I rarely use them in anything other than my impacts, a ship auger in my M18 HH still being my go-to.

Okay, just for giggles, I tried the largest of the 10-pack, the 1-1/4", in my new M18 gen-2 hammer drill, 2704-20. At 2,000 screamin' RPM, and with the crazy torque this thing has, through doubled 2x's is literally a 3-count, and like the proverbial butter. That's what these are intended for, fast boring is framing members, not as a replacement for other applications that you'd use a traditional spade bit.

Next project is to cut a 3/8" down in length a little, try is as the pilot bit in my Milwaukee Big Hawgs, which are crazy fast already, for larger holes, but should be even quicker, pulling them through with the Daredevil spur.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2017 at 10:52 PM, sparky603 said:

I wouldn't buy smaller than 7/8" if I were purchasing them individually, but even if you figure $2.50 per for the sizes that and over, still a steal.

I think it's that the tools have just gotten so much more powerful. In an impact though, binding is of no consequence. I rarely use them in anything other than my impacts, a ship auger in my M18 HH still being my go-to.

I've got like a dozen extensions for them in various lengths. They work great for doing the same sort of thing I'm doing here with my SH, but the hole doesn't need to be 1-1/4" for the head of the extension to be able to follow, like it does with that setup.

StackedExtensions.jpg

Yeah I used to use irwin speedbors but they seem to go dull after a while so I just went to Home depot and they had a stack of the black friday/holiday 17 packs or something for 1.50 a piece so i just bought the whole stack of 20, kept 10 or so and handed the rest out to my electrical/plumbing dudes.

• Like 1

On 2017-04-27 at 2:55 PM, sparky603 said:

Okay, just for giggles, I tried the largest of the 10-pack, the 1-1/4", in my new M18 gen-2 hammer drill, 2704-20. At 2,000 screamin' RPM, and with the crazy torque this thing has, through doubled 2x's is literally a 3-count, and like the proverbial butter. That's what these are intended for, fast boring is framing members, not as a replacement for other applications that you'd use a traditional spade bit.

Next project is to cut a 3/8" down in length a little, try is as the pilot bit in my Milwaukee Big Hawgs, which are crazy fast already, for larger holes, but should be even quicker, pulling them through with the Daredevil spur.

Same drill with the 1-1/2" daredevil and same application you can bend the bit with minimal effort. Ask me how I know lol. 

To the above, I prefer the Speedbor Max to the Daredevil, but the standard Speedbor are now my junk-it bits because Daredevils are far superior. 

On 4/27/2017 at 4:55 PM, sparky603 said:

I gotta try this too thanks for the idea!!! 

• Like 1

Picked up a 3" Milwaukee wire cup today. They're pretty proud of those. $18 apiece ? Oh well. It's better than fighting with the cheap ones I suppose.

Also added a couple more Razorback tools to my revamped lineup. So far I've bought square, round point, and spade shovels, a garden rake, hoe, 5 lb. pick mattock, edger, and a post hole digger, as well as 4 lb. short and 8 lb. long sledgehammers. Cleaned and re handled my grandpa's old cutter mattock as well. Also grabbed a Fiskars hatchet. I would have bought the Husqvarna that matched my axe, but I needed it tomorrow so ordering it just wasn't an option. 

Still need to get a tamper, but hopefully I'm good to go on lawn & garden tools for a few years. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bremon said:

Could also grab a selffeed spade like the FlexVolt Big Hawgs have as a pilot and that ought to be interchangeable, no?

They hold onto the plug apparently and you can't just pull the plug out like I can with the big hawgs... Nope. 

Toolaholic said he has to pry them out as well. 

• Like 1