What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

couple things about these comparisons in these videos are for either brand by the way, 

1) he already has decided what tool will be better

2) it isn't the fact it is faster what about 3500 holes in what tools is still working as well as at first.

I can build a 9 second car to do a 1/4" mile and I bet a car that does the 1/4 mile in 25 seconds will last longer so fast is not always best....

Definitely looks like he's having troubles popping them out there. I don't know that a daredevil as a pilot would solve that in that case. 

Re: durability/longevity most of these tools are based off corded tools that have been around as long as I have lol. Apples to apples you're going to get a tool that lasts if you don't abuse it. 

That said, in a lot of instances I have an opinion on which is going to last longer and I have one in this instance as well lol. 

2 hours ago, sparky603 said:

Only took me a couple of minutes to do, but in trying it out, I didn't really notice any marked difference over the stock pilot.

BigHawgDaredevil.jpg

You mean it didn't help pull the big hawg through the wood much?

49 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

You mean it didn't help pull the big hawg through the wood much?

Not enough to notice, I don't think. I tried it with a 2-9/16", in my M18 HH. Even if it helped it maybe a bit up until the hole saw itself engaged, once the teeth are cutting, I don't think that little spur is really adding much.

1 minute ago, sparky603 said:

Not enough to notice, I don't think. I tried it with a 2-9/16", in my M18 HH. Even if it helped it maybe a bit up until the hole saw itself engaged, once the teeth are cutting, I don't think that little spur is really adding much.

I wonder if it would improve the flexvolt hole saws performance because the teeth are more narrow than the big hawgs, smaller kerf, removing less material, going faster ....in theory

If that's the case then it's certainly more beneficial to pull plugs off quickly. I think kerf likely does play a role.

As for purchases, amazon Canada has had some stellar prices on FlexVolt accessories so I picked up a 12" 60 tooth blade for $34 CAD/$25 USD, and a 2 dollar cut off disk lol. Depending on how things work out price:performance, especially with grinder disks, we will see whether I pay Freud twice as much for Diablo stuff. (For 7.25" circ saw blades Diablo is easily the best value here).

but let's face it there is no race while your at work to get 20 holes drilled as fast as you can, taking a few seconds between holes to pop a plug out isn't going to ruin your day.....would be nice to have a plunge trigger to pop them out however.......or just fall out

Yeah, but if you're doing 150+ holes a day roughing in new construction, it's like spending money on coffee every morning. Seems insignificant, but the time/cost over a year is very measurable. The guy who isn't being paid by the hour saving 6 minutes a day amounts to 26 hours in a year. More than half a work week. 

so looking thru kijiji, Canada's version of Graig's list I come across this Milwaukee level for $20 brand new? I call and they say sure I can even bring it to you.....

20170430_230106.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/30/2017 at 9:20 PM, Cr8ondt said:

My brother bought me presents, little did he know that I'm an addict... Like buying crack for a crackhead!  Now I gotta buy more Ryobi stuff!!!

IMG_20170430_201604.jpg

And just like that my Ryobi stuff grows...

IMG_20170502_074302.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

And just like that my Ryobi stuff grows...

IMG_20170502_074302.jpg

How bright is that light? I'm not a fan of Ryobi but that garage opener has some pretty cool features. I haven't seen them on other openers.

Well I am officially an owner of some EGO. I purchased a blower and hedge trimmer from Home Depot. I thought the batteries would be bigger but they are only a 2.0 and a 2.5 so not too big. This is the first blower I have owned. The 24in hedge trimmer is a nice upgrade to the old corded b&d 13in I currently have.

• Like 2

I picked up a set of Swanson Savage straight edges on Amazon that came today. I grabbed lengths 2ft, 4ft, and 8ft. Since it looks like the track saw is blade right I said screw it and bought these instead for a fraction of the price. They seem to be great quality and highly accurate holding them up together in front of a light gives nearly 0 bleed through which is impressive. I used the 4ft scoring drywall today and it worked beautifully. No more checking 2x4's for a straight one to guide me. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083SGRT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

Well I am officially an owner of some EGO. I purchased a blower and hedge trimmer from Home Depot. I thought the batteries would be bigger but they are only a 2.0 and a 2.5 so not too big. This is the first blower I have owned. The 24in hedge trimmer is a nice upgrade to the old corded b&d 13in I currently have.

I picked up the blower a few weeks ago and it works great.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I picked up a set of Swanson Savage straight edges on Amazon that came today. I grabbed lengths 2ft, 4ft, and 8ft. Since it looks like the track saw is blade right I said screw it and bought these instead for a fraction of the price. They seem to be great quality and highly accurate holding them up together in front of a light gives nearly 0 bleed through which is impressive. I used the 4ft scoring drywall today and it worked beautifully. No more checking 2x4's for a straight one to guide me. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083SGRT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I will grab some of these also.