What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

2 hours ago, wildroamer said:

Those Husqy powerheads are bulletproof. I have a 562xp saw with some of the same tech, thing always starts and runs perfectly, regardless of temp, humidity, etc. 

I'm sure that will be putting a smile on your face for years to come!

I'm a big fan of Husqvarna. Over the years we've had power equipment from just about any brand you can think of. Stihl was the brand of choice for years. It was always good quality and while we did get a turd weed eater once, we also had a chainsaw and a brush cutter that made it 20 years. The real downside to the Stihl stuff was that it was always extremely heavy and the local dealer kinda sucked.

We had a couple of Echo tools that were also good quality. Got 13 years out of a trimmer and I only remember ever changing the plug twice. Problem was, and this is just me being my picky self, I've never picked up an Echo tool that felt right in my hands. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I've yet to encounter one I enjoyed using. 

Husqvarna has always been consistently high quality, feels better in my hands, is typically lighter, and in my experience will run less money than a comparable Stihl. I suppose it's a Ford vs Chevy type debate and a lot of Stihl users are pretty die hard, but Husky just works better for me. 

The 562XP is a great saw. I use a 450 Rancher and it's been great, but I'd like to upgrade to a pro level eventually. My next OPE purchase will be a dedicated brush cutter. The 336 would probably be sufficient, but I'm really tempted to step up to a 345 forestry saw. Only problem is after the first season when I get everything cleared off, I really won't need the extra capability. Probably be next season before I can swing it, so I've got some time to drool over it ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bremon said:

Off the top of my head hard torque is the maximum instantaneous torque put on something when you hit the trigger, and soft torque is the sustained torque the machine is able to put on a fastener. Hard torque seems like a paper spec for big numbers while soft torque seems like what's most important for getting work done. I could be wrong though. 

That's makes sense, I'll run with that. 

Cheers. 

On 2017-5-25 at 8:31 PM, Tug said:

My 887 arrived today! Sweet! 

IMG_20170525_202920.jpg

Had a brief go, nice machine. However, it's way too lopsided with a large battery, so I've ordered a 2 Amp pack. 

I'm not used to stubby machines, this has trouble reaching inside recesses, but I'll get used to it/adapt to it. 

Very impressed by its different power settings, will be trying those out in more detail when I'm back at work (we're away for a few days).

On 2017-5-24 at 6:15 PM, Tug said:

This arrived today, thoughts on it once I've had a play with my new toy. 

20170524_181144.jpg

20170524_181132.jpg

20170524_181120.jpg

Only had a quick go in brick, quite impressive hammer action, but very loud! 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Hammer action is quite loud but this guy is a powerhouse. I've been using mine with a 2.0 lately, and did some drilling into sheet metal. Very good results. My older brushed 785 model made short work while using a 6" hole saw through the side of my last home. I had to drill a 6" vent hole through vinyl siding, plywood, sillplate amd more plywood. I haven't put this one through so much heavy work, but it's got torque in spades and the use of it's sway handle is necessary for some applications. As far as your impact goes, try using longer bit holders that are impact rated (if your using that function). The small head is great for maneuvering underneath objects but sometimes, using a long bit extension fixes the problem of getting into corners. Also, I use a 2.0 in mine too. Plenty of run time for the shop and when using it for big jobs I've been using a higher cap battery.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Ah I forgot for a second they have hammer functions on drills since I only use SDS for those applications... I can't remember the last time I used my hammer function on my drills. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Hammer action is quite loud but this guy is a powerhouse. I've been using mine with a 2.0 lately, and did some drilling into sheet metal. Very good results. My older brushed 785 model made short work while using a 6" hole saw through the side of my last home. I had to drill a 6" vent hole through vinyl siding, plywood, sillplate amd more plywood. I haven't put this one through so much heavy work, but it's got torque in spades and the use of it's sway handle is necessary for some applications. As far as your impact goes, try using longer bit holders that are impact rated (if your using that function). The small head is great for maneuvering underneath objects but sometimes, using a long bit extension fixes the problem of getting into corners. Also, I use a 2.0 in mine too. Plenty of run time for the shop and when using it for big jobs I've been using a higher cap battery.

Yeah, already looking for a suitable bit holder, I'm incredibly fussy with these as I won't use a bit holder unless it's very magnetic. I can't see the point in using non-magnetic holders as it becomes a two handed job to drive every screw. 

Any links to quality holders is welcome. 

43 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Ah I forgot for a second they have hammer functions on drills since I only use SDS for those applications... I can't remember the last time I used my hammer function on my drills. 

Yeah, lots of people only use sds for all types of masonry, but sometimes it's just quicker to use the combi drill if it's already out of the box and in use, saves getting the big guns out. This percussion instrument is proving quite the multi-tasker! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Have it on a few of my cordless, never use it. Though, every time I pick one of them up, I'm reminded by the extra weight that it's there. If you don't do enough to justify having an SDS with you, I suppose they're great.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Yeah, already looking for a suitable bit holder, I'm incredibly fussy with these as I won't use a bit holder unless it's very magnetic. I can't see the point in using non-magnetic holders as it becomes a two handed job to drive every screw. 

Check it KC Tools but also look at WIHA. They make one that I've been using and am quite fond of, I'll try and find a link when I get home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

My daily is the Makita bit holder with the removable magnet, been my favorite for quite some time now....

HD has them back in stock, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to you. I can remove the magnet when i don't need it, and it "floats" so the bit can go into the wood a little further. It's also great at acting as a guide while you hold the magnet sleeve and the bit spins to start the screw, you can hold it steady that way...  Plus it pops up from the spring loaded holder and is kinda like my fidget toy hahah

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-Impact-GOLD-Ultra-Magnetic-Insert-Bit-Set-21-Piece-B-31893/203459383

3dfbb1e7-a35d-4617-8628-f0c663c28132_100

But since @ChrisK mentioned Wiha, i'm going to check out @KC_Tool website for that one https://www.kctoolco.com/brands/Wiha.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sparky603 said:

Have it on a few of my cordless, never use it. Though, every time I pick one of them up, I'm reminded by the extra weight that it's their. If you don't do enough to justify having an SDS with you, I supposed they're great.

The extra weight is what, 2 ounces? The extra 1/4-1/2" length is more of a nuisance than any weight difference.

Stuck to hammer drills pretty religiously until about the second time I used a corded Bosch Bulldog. The speed and smoothness was amazing, found a brushless D handle Dewalt for $90 usd and had to pull the trigger even though I barely ever do tapcons and drop anchors. 

• Like 2

I've been busy with work and haven't bought anything new in a while because I haven't needed anything really. Next week I have a check coming that after covering a couple of bills leaves me a decent amount of "extra" money to purchase some tools I want. I'm taking some of that money to finally get the Flexvolt Table Saw kit. The check being delayed a week means I'm missing out on the 10% off over at Acme Tools but can't change how fast the mail or an accounts payable department is.

Today however I impulse bought some Toggle Clamps from eBay. Amazon wanted $8 for a 4 pack plus shipping, if this listing is accurate I just bought 16 of them for $4.96 with free shipping. They're coming from China so delivery estimate is between Jun 15th and July 20th, it's a wide range, but I don't need the clamps right now and it's worth a $5 gamble for what Amazon would want $32 for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302044062162?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The check being delayed a week means I'm missing out on the 10% off over at Acme Tools but can't change how fast the mail or an accounts payable department is.

Why lose the discount? Pay with a credit card right now and pay off the amount when you get your cheque.

21 minutes ago, rdst_1 said:

Why lose the discount? Pay with a credit card right now and pay off the amount when you get your cheque.

It's a good idea, but my single credit card has a pretty low limit and is used just for gas and small things throughout the month. Unfortunately it has nowhere near the room for the saw currently. It's one of the things being paid by the check. Though maybe I hold off the purchase and look for Father's Day deals since it's coming up, might be worth it and result in a better deal.

Some nice purchases guys, wish it were me buying all these nice tools.

Not bought today but received today, two new "tools" for me. I use knives daily, more times during the day than I could count, they are invaluable tools to me...

Rad Cleaver Clone 001.jpg

Strider Clone 001.jpg

5 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

My daily is the Makita bit holder...

The Makita bit holder stays on my impact, I think the Makita gold bits are better than most other bits I've used.

2 hours ago, jtkendall said:

It's a good idea, but my single credit card has a pretty low limit and is used just for gas and small things throughout the month. Unfortunately it has nowhere near the room for the saw currently. It's one of the things being paid by the check. Though maybe I hold off the purchase and look for Father's Day deals since it's coming up, might be worth it and result in a better deal.

If you can get more credit cards, you should...especially some with good rewards. BUT don't let the credit stack up, use it for everything but balance it like a check book. You get free money for paying bills. One of mine(BoA Americard) I use for my bills and grocery shopping gives me a $100 HD(also other choices) gift card a few times a year. DiscoverIT card gives me Amazon rewards or I can get a Lowe's(or several other stores) gift card.

7 hours ago, Bremon said:

The extra weight is what, 2 ounces? The extra 1/4-1/2" length is more of a nuisance than any weight difference.

Is that all it is? Maybe it's that they're more nose-heavy, to me. The added overall bulk is more probably the term I was looking for. The added length really is seldom an issue in my usage, as any place I'm in drilling that's tight I'm using one of the M18 Hawgs, or otherwise the impact with a Daredevil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kato said:

Some nice purchases guys, wish it were me buying all these nice tools.

Not bought today but received today, two new "tools" for me. I use knives daily, more times during the day than I could count, they are invaluable tools to me...

Rad Cleaver Clone 001.jpg

Strider Clone 001.jpg

Who makes the knife in the top pic?