What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

20 minutes ago, sparky603 said:

Is that all it is? Maybe it's that they're more nose-heavy, to me. The added overall bulk is more probably the term I was looking for. The added length really is seldom an issue in my usage, as any place I'm in drilling that's tight I'm using one of the M18 Hawgs, or otherwise the impact with a Daredevil.

Actually it's apparently 5 ounces for the Fuel models. I'm surprised it's that notable. It's 2-3 ounces for the compacts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

Who makes the knife in the top pic?

Rad Knives makes the original, this is a clone made by some Chinese maker I'm assuming. There's plenty of them online and various versions, DH Gate, AliExpress, eBay, etc.. You can find them fairly cheap, I paid $53 for this one, but the seller has another one on eBay for around $48

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kato said:

Rad Knives makes the original, this is a clone made by some Chinese maker I'm assuming. There's plenty of them online and various versions, DH Gate, AliExpress, eBay, etc.. You can find them fairly cheap, I paid $53 for this one, but the seller has another one on eBay for around $48

Thanks its a nice looking knife.  I have been carrying a Benchmade for years now. I feel lost when I don't have it with me.

• Like 1

I carry all kinds of knives, depends on the mood. These will be thrown into the rotation but the cleaver might not see too much action. It'll be good for routine slicing and cutting but there's no point on it, can't do pokey-stabby stuff without a point.

The 580 arrived today. Very little time to play, but I had to fire it up (after discarding the spark arrestor screen of course). 

First thoughts? What a beast! You can definitely tell you're wearing it, but the harness is well designed and does a good job of downplaying the formidable mass that is the 580. Conductor Jr. gave it a try as well. He could pack the weight, but the tube was just too long for his arms, so delegating clearing chores will have to wait a couple years ?

I had a couple rows of grass on the ground from along the fence line of the hay field beside me. Probably 10" long and soaking wet. Even with my high expectations I was surprised how well I was able to move it. Not much more pressure than my old blower, but the volume is unreal! This thing will cut my debris clearing time drastically. 

There's defintely a 580 thread in our future ?

• Like 5

Walked through the local Home Depot yesterday and noticed that the DCN660 kits are marked down to $249 from $399.  With a fair amount of trim work in my future, I picked one up.  Also finally invested in a Jawstand.  I have two Jawhorses but have been wanting the Jawstand to as a work piece extension for my miter saw.  Picked up a few more things as well on Friday--another DeWalt Bluetooth speaker for my brother and more drive bits.

• Like 2

Today, as mentioned in another thread, I got a Stanley FatMax set of three aviation snips, and a Lenox offset snip, at Lowe's:

snips.thumb.jpg.6d454a18583f388aa812624899948664.jpg

This is the result of setting up my new rolling tool chest:

kobalt.thumb.jpg.de2ebd2e3df383b68a164c35aa2d4047.jpg

Technically I got this for Xmas, but I just unboxed it this weekend, so I think it counts.  In the process I took a good look at my tool collection and dumped some duplicates at Goodwill.  In the process I realized I had been meaning to replace my cheap-ass snips for literally decades, so I finally did it.

Some months ago I torqued off a short 3/8" extension, and when I looked closely at it, I realized it wasn't part of my USA Craftsman set at all; it was some el-cheapo thing from one of those crappy $10 socket sets that had mysteriously found its way into my tools.  Anyway, fast-forward to yesterday and me going through the sockets, and I realized my 8" extension was probably from the same set; soft crappy steel with scant chroming, just asking for a sudden failure.  Nothing can ruin your day quite like breaking a tool in the middle of a project, particularly if it's your own car you're working on and you don't want to walk to the tool store.  So into the Goodwill box it went, and I picked these up instead:

ext.thumb.jpg.7bb1ef7f78038f6a30c7c67a8468e890.jpg

These are Taiwan-made, not China, which I guess is the best ordinary mortals can do now.  I don't have access to a tool-truck guy, so I have to depend on store warranty, and Lowe's doesn't seem like they're going anywhere (as opposed to Sears).  They seem nice, actually.  The chroming is good and the fit is nice, and they have knurling (unlike my one remaining actual USA Craftsman extension).  I don't know if anything else in the retail channel is substantially better, and at least if they fail Lowe's is close by.

When I torqued off that cheapie extension I was tightening some lug nuts with a Husky 3/8" torque wrench set to 80ft/lb, and it never clicked.  I knew I had to be putting more than 80 on it, but I stupidly kept pushing until the extension broke.  So the Husky has to go back to HD, but in the meantime I ran across this on clearance at Lowe's for $79 less my discount:

torque.thumb.jpg.63425f5ee97b835776efdbc78283dd12.jpg

Sorry it's a little blurry.  Didn't have my glasses on at the time.  That's a 1/2" digital-readout torque wrench, or in other words the correct tool for what I was doing when I broke that extension.  Digital-readout for the same price as regular click-type, that's a no-brainer and I grabbed it.

Not a bad haul for the weekend.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dwasifar said:

So the Husky has to go back to HD, but in the meantime I ran across this on clearance at Lowe's for $79 less my discount:

torque.thumb.jpg.63425f5ee97b835776efdbc78283dd12.jpg

Well, two new developments.

First, HD sent me away to take care of the Husky torque wrench warranty on my own, rather than doing the expected in-store exchange. That was not the original deal, and they just lost me. I know from this thread it looks like I do more business with Lowe's, but I've been buying from both places and HD just gave me a shove. 

Second, the fine print on the Kobalt torque wrench says one year warranty, not lifetime. I have to assume this is because of the electronics. So now I'm considering returning it. 

On 5/27/2017 at 6:07 PM, Bremon said:

Actually it's apparently 5 ounces for the Fuel models. I'm surprised it's that notable. It's 2-3 ounces for the compacts. 

I have a 2703 and 2704 and just grabbing them off the truck you would never know the difference between the two.  We rarely use the hammer drill mode because we have cordless sds drills.  The 2704 came in a combo kit and the 2703 was bought on its own so why not save $20.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dwasifar said:

First, HD sent me away to take care of the Husky torque wrench warranty on my own, rather than doing the expected in-store exchange. That was not the original deal, and they just lost me. I know from this thread it looks like I do more business with Lowe's, but I've been buying from both places and HD just gave me a shove. 

Second, the fine print on the Kobalt torque wrench says one year warranty, not lifetime. I have to assume this is because of the electronics. So now I'm considering returning it. 

Update: I called Husky, who referred me back to the local HD store with instructions to ask for the tool manager. I did that, and apparently there is a new 3/8" torque wrench waiting for me at the service desk now. So they've redeemed themselves somewhat, but the two separate HD stores I contacted both sent me to Husky, so it looks like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing over there. 

As for the Kobalt, I regretfully returned it. Apparently they have an exception to their usual lifetime hand tool warranty just for torque wrenches. No other brand seems to have this restriction, viz. the Husky story above, so although it looks like a very nice tool I decided to find something with a better warranty.  Trying out a Tekton from Amazon. 

Well it's official I'm in the flexvolt line! Thanks to all these promo's 2 kits in, one free battery and one free DCD996! Now just debating wether or not the reciprocating saw is worth picking up next....

055f7fb78191064d7511c30784aa2d54.jpg

ff0cd7215fb639533edd03a9c5824e14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

@DPSElias I used the flexvolt recip saw yesterday to cut out a tree stump. It worked well enough. A chainsaw would have been nice but if a recip is the best you got then you use the recip. Sure people have issues with the flexvolt unit like the size/weight and lack of features they get with other recip saws but I found it does has some good power when under load. It was cutting with a 9in pruning blade with as much blade in the stump as possible. The saw didn't seem to break a sweat. Cut out the roots fairly easy in the midst of all the soil.

• Like 1

I used the flexvolt recip saw yesterday to cut out a tree stump. It worked well enough. A chainsaw would have been nice but if a recip is the best you got then you use the recip. Sure people have issues with the flexvolt unit but it does has some good power when under load. It was cutting with a 9in pruning blade with as much blade in the stump as possible. The saw didn't seem to break a sweat. Cut out the roots fairly easy in the midst of all the soil.

Thanks it sounds like it will be a beast might not be the fastest recip out there but when the blade is buried it will continue stroking.

Just now, DPSElias said:

Thanks it sounds like it will be a beast might not be the fastest recip out there but when the blade is buried it will continue stroking.

I've found using the tip of a recip blade to cut with as being tricky but with shoe pressed against the trunk it didn't have much issue. It can have kickback if you aren't careful.

54 minutes ago, Jronman said:

@DPSElias I used the flexvolt recip saw yesterday to cut out a tree stump. It worked well enough. A chainsaw would have been nice but if a recip is the best you got then you use the recip.

I wouldn't use a chainsaw for that unless I was planning to throw away the chain afterward.  And I'd be damn sure to be wearing a full complement of safety gear in case of kickback.

• Like 1

Nice picks @DPSElias, the 996, 575 and 414 are all awesome. The recip is the only original FlexVolt release I don't own and won't own. If Dewalt is your only platform then it's a no brainer; it's a powerful saw. It just lacks refinement that you'll find elsewhere, whereas any lack of refinement in any other FlexVolt unit comparatively makes up for it by being way more powerful than the competition. Most of the FlexVolt line is both comfortable and refined, while having class-leading power. Why the recip lacks I'll never know. "Market research" by SBD that says we won't pay more for nice things. 

• Like 3

Nice picks [mention=48335]DPSElias[/mention], the 996, 575 and 414 are all awesome. The recip is the only original FlexVolt release I don't own and won't own. If Dewalt is your only platform then it's a no brainer; it's a powerful saw. It just lacks refinement that you'll find elsewhere, whereas any lack of refinement in any other FlexVolt unit comparatively makes up for it by being way more powerful than the competition. Most of the FlexVolt line is both comfortable and refined, while having class-leading power. Why the recip lacks I'll never know. "Market research" by SBD that says we won't pay more for nice things. 

Yea I thought about getting into the M18 line but the flexvolt promos that are going on now are too good, under $300 for grinder, charger and 3 batteries. I don't need another recip as my current 20v works but wouldn't mind a brushless one and if I can get a similar deal it'll be worth it I think.