What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

Scored a few brownie points, my brother and I picked up the Kobalt table saw for our dad yesterday, not the best saw in the world but far, far from the worst.  Should be almost the perfect one for him, very manageable weight, good capacity, easy to setup.  Our dad is 66 with almost double the miles most folks his age so ease of use was a major factor.  Apon giving it to him he said " You guys are fucking idiots" Which is his way of saying thank you to us.  Not gonna lie, probably the warmest feeling I've had giving a gift. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Cr8ondt said:

Apon giving it to him he said " You guys are fucking idiots" Which is his way of saying thank you to us.  Not gonna lie, probably the warmest feeling I've had giving a gift. 

Now I know how to compliment you. :)

You bought him this, right?

847962005083.thumb.jpg.2a1f9a39b287afb339d0a9b67c2fb364.jpg

I was in Lowe's yesterday looking at table saws for no good reason.  I have a bad reason: I discovered my adjustable dado is too thick for the arbor of my Porter Cable table saw.  I've had the P-C for several years but this is the first time I needed to dado on it.  I ordered a more conventional dado set, and if it fits, that's good, but if it doesn't, I may need to change saws.

The Porter Cable table saw Lowe's sells now looks like a toy compared to the one I have, but they have a really nice Hitachi:

717709020450_08184650.thumb.jpg.8b64aaa430cd2917721f8bf2e7bd749b.jpg

For $350 it seems to have all the features of the $500 DeWalt that was sitting next to it.  The downside of both the DeWalt and the Hitachi is the stand.  I leave my saw set up all the time and just roll it under the workbench when I'm not using it; the workbench is designed with a spot for the saw.  But that only works with a stand that has wheels on the ground like my current saw or your dad's new Kobalt.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

Now I know how to compliment you. :)

You bought him this, right?

847962005083.thumb.jpg.2a1f9a39b287afb339d0a9b67c2fb364.jpg

I was in Lowe's yesterday looking at table saws for no good reason.  I have a bad reason: I discovered my adjustable dado is too thick for the arbor of my Porter Cable table saw.  I've had the P-C for several years but this is the first time I needed to dado on it.  I ordered a more conventional dado set, and if it fits, that's good, but if it doesn't, I may need to change saws.

The Porter Cable table saw Lowe's sells now looks like a toy compared to the one I have, but they have a really nice Hitachi:

717709020450_08184650.thumb.jpg.8b64aaa430cd2917721f8bf2e7bd749b.jpg

For $350 it seems to have all the features of the $500 DeWalt that was sitting next to it.  The downside of both the DeWalt and the Hitachi is the stand.  I leave my saw set up all the time and just roll it under the workbench when I'm not using it; the workbench is designed with a spot for the saw.  But that only works with a stand that has wheels on the ground like my current saw or your dad's new Kobalt.

Yep that's the one, I really wanted to get the Hitachi the only hang-up was it was a tad heavier, and the Kobalt was already at the limit of weight.

I was fortunate enough to spend some of my hard earned money at the Home Depot in Grand Island, NE (of all places). I bought a pair of the Milwaukee side cutters. Cool store, considering it's in a town with less than 50,000 people. Actually, in comparison to some of the other Depots I have seen in the Midwest, I think this was one of the better ones.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cr8ondt said:

Yep that's the one, I really wanted to get the Hitachi the only hang-up was it was a tad heavier, and the Kobalt was already at the limit of weight.

Well, from what I'm seeing it looks like the Hitachi has a 1" arbor.  I've emailed Hitachi to verify, but I don't think I'd want a saw that's harder to get blades for. 

So let me know how your dad likes the Kobalt.

4 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

at the Home Depot in Grand Island, NE (of all places). Cool store, considering it's in a town with 51,236 people. 

Whats with the "of all places part"? I like the Grand Island Home Depot. It is the closest one to me but I don't go often since its 45 minutes away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Whats with the "of all places part"? I like the Grand Island Home Depot. It is the closest one to me but I don't go often since its 45 minutes away.

haha. I only said that because the likelihood of anyone else knowing where Grand Island is or that it is an actual place is probably slim to none! That could be a complete hyperbole, but most likely not haha

Just now, FrosBros82 said:

haha. I only said that because the likelihood of anyone else knowing where Grand Island is or that it is an actual place is probably slim to none! That could be a complete hyperbole, but most likely not haha

Most living in Nebraska probably know what Grand Island is but outside Nebraska it's probably not a city they know of. To me its big but thats coming from a town of 3000 people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jronman said:

Most living in Nebraska probably know what Grand Island is but outside Nebraska it's probably not a city they know of. To me its big but thats coming from a town of 3000 people.

Yeah, I hear you. Not from there, just went to school in Nebraska. 

3 hours ago, Kato said:

Not bought but gifted from my boss...

Awesome gift man! Is it assisted opening? I see it's a liner lock, haven't seen one with a button and a liner lock from Milwaukee but I must admit, I don't really look too hard at their knives. I have the tanto blade but I'm partial to Kershaw for beater knives.

While it's certainly not the most exciting purchase, I picked up a pair of new Proto chrome sockets in 1-15/16" and 2" in 3/4" drive for about $35. 

I've always planned on filling my 3/4" set out to 2" without skips, just waited for the right deal.

As of now, 1-7/8" is the biggest socket I've ever needed at home, but it's nice to be prepared. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Awesome gift man! Is it assisted opening? I see it's a liner lock, haven't seen one with a button and a liner lock from Milwaukee but I must admit, I don't really look too hard at their knives. I have the tanto blade but I'm partial to Kershaw for beater knives.

No assisted open. The button unlocks it to open, the liner lock unlocks it to close. A weird design, hard to get used to. Thinking about opening it up to see if I can modify it for a spring, but the screws won't budge...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

While it's certainly not the most exciting purchase, I picked up a pair of new Proto chrome sockets in 1-15/16" and 2" in 3/4" drive for about $35. 

I've always planned on filling my 3/4" set out to 2" without skips, just waited for the right deal.

As of now, 1-7/8" is the biggest socket I've ever needed at home, but it's nice to be prepared. 

I need to start building a set before the hay equipment gets shut down and I'm back dealing with trucks. At the very least I need to get a Pittsburgh set and replace them with proto as needed. I might go impact though. At the very least I need 2"-2 1/2" to unload the occasional belly dump.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, Tug said:

I have Milwaukee M28 and M12, a full compliment, sds, combi and impact. I have a Dewalt 54 Volt sds, plus a 996 and an 887. Now AvE releases a vid of the Hilti 22 Volt combi drill and I find myself wanting one of those! Darn it! Will it ever end? 

I laughed when AvE mentioned that he got the DeWalt from Clark Griswald and the Muffin Man.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

I need to start building a set before the hay equipment gets shut down and I'm back dealing with trucks. At the very least I need to get a Pittsburgh set and replace them with proto as needed. I might go impact though. At the very least I need 2"-2 1/2" to unload the occasional belly dump.

You'll never find a better deal on decent quality 3/4" impacts than this Williams set:

https://www.zoro.com/williams-impact-socket-set-34-d-6pt-17pcs-sae-38901/i/G7086287/?gclid=CjwKEAjwj6PKBRCAy9-07PeTtGgSJAC1P9xG1muU3FDypxMet8RwKlOZLKMLj4dLbeiPPD3w1KQ9lBoC2Rzw_wcB

Use code JUN17DEAL for 15% off. Brings it down to under $130 with free shipping. They're Taiwan Williams, but still very nice sockets.

Or you can use the same code to score the chrome set with all the goodies for $203!

https://www.zoro.com/williams-socket-tool-set-34-d-12pt-20pcs-sae-33901/i/G7077738/

• Like 2