JimboS1ice

What tools did you buy today?

6,288 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Bremon said:

Could also grab a selffeed spade like the FlexVolt Big Hawgs have as a pilot and that ought to be interchangeable, no?

They hold onto the plug apparently and you can't just pull the plug out like I can with the big hawgs... Nope. 

Toolaholic said he has to pry them out as well. 

1 person likes this

couple things about these comparisons in these videos are for either brand by the way, 

1) he already has decided what tool will be better

2) it isn't the fact it is faster what about 3500 holes in what tools is still working as well as at first.

I can build a 9 second car to do a 1/4" mile and I bet a car that does the 1/4 mile in 25 seconds will last longer so fast is not always best....

Definitely looks like he's having troubles popping them out there. I don't know that a daredevil as a pilot would solve that in that case. 

Re: durability/longevity most of these tools are based off corded tools that have been around as long as I have lol. Apples to apples you're going to get a tool that lasts if you don't abuse it. 

That said, in a lot of instances I have an opinion on which is going to last longer and I have one in this instance as well lol. 

12 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I gotta try this too thanks for the idea!!! 

Only took me a couple of minutes to do, but in trying it out, I didn't really notice any marked difference over the stock pilot.

BigHawgDaredevil.jpg

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, sparky603 said:

Only took me a couple of minutes to do, but in trying it out, I didn't really notice any marked difference over the stock pilot.

BigHawgDaredevil.jpg

You mean it didn't help pull the big hawg through the wood much?

49 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

You mean it didn't help pull the big hawg through the wood much?

Not enough to notice, I don't think. I tried it with a 2-9/16", in my M18 HH. Even if it helped it maybe a bit up until the hole saw itself engaged, once the teeth are cutting, I don't think that little spur is really adding much.

1 minute ago, sparky603 said:

Not enough to notice, I don't think. I tried it with a 2-9/16", in my M18 HH. Even if it helped it maybe a bit up until the hole saw itself engaged, once the teeth are cutting, I don't think that little spur is really adding much.

I wonder if it would improve the flexvolt hole saws performance because the teeth are more narrow than the big hawgs, smaller kerf, removing less material, going faster ....in theory

If that's the case then it's certainly more beneficial to pull plugs off quickly. I think kerf likely does play a role.

As for purchases, amazon Canada has had some stellar prices on FlexVolt accessories so I picked up a 12" 60 tooth blade for $34 CAD/$25 USD, and a 2 dollar cut off disk lol. Depending on how things work out price:performance, especially with grinder disks, we will see whether I pay Freud twice as much for Diablo stuff. (For 7.25" circ saw blades Diablo is easily the best value here).

but let's face it there is no race while your at work to get 20 holes drilled as fast as you can, taking a few seconds between holes to pop a plug out isn't going to ruin your day.....would be nice to have a plunge trigger to pop them out however.......or just fall out

Yeah, but if you're doing 150+ holes a day roughing in new construction, it's like spending money on coffee every morning. Seems insignificant, but the time/cost over a year is very measurable. The guy who isn't being paid by the hour saving 6 minutes a day amounts to 26 hours in a year. More than half a work week. 

No man alive has ever said.... hmmm i have 2-3 drills i think thats plenty. I dont need anymore.

I have.

I own tools. Tools don't own me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Step one in the five stages of grief (in this case re: your finances with regards to tools): denial. Most of us have been here long enough we are at step 5: acceptance. 

1 person likes this

My brother bought me presents, little did he know that I'm an addict... Like buying crack for a crackhead!  Now I gotta buy more Ryobi stuff!!!

IMG_20170430_201604.jpg

1 person likes this