Check this out

Fazzman

We do alot of stainless,titanium and other wierd alloys hastelloy .002 is a machinists mile :) We often get tolerances of .0001 - .0005  and +/- .001- .002 Depending of course what type of part it is. We do alot of govt,military,aerospace, type of work. 

Yeah isnt that the truth,you know how engineers are. Nothing simple can be designed simple for some reason. I see them make all sorts of improper callouts on thngs. you only need .0002 - .0005 press if you dont get junk bearings for example.

Last year we did some rocket nozzles for a new type of ICBM interceptor,that was an over engineered nightmare but it was a fun project. I prefer doing the smaller more intricate stuff, I think its just more fun.

about ten years ago I worked at a place that all they had was large Kuraki horizontal mills, and a few lathes.it was all big huge weldments for medical xray machines and things of that nature. Big stuff gets boring just takes so long.

• Like 1

Yeah isnt that the truth,you know how engineers are. Nothing simple can be designed simple for some reason. I see them make all sorts of improper callouts on thngs. you only need .0002 - .0005 press if you dont get junk bearings for example.

Last year we did some rocket nozzles for a new type of ICBM interceptor,that was an over engineered nightmare but it was a fun project. I prefer doing the smaller more intricate stuff, I think its just more fun.

about ten years ago I worked at a place that all they had was large Kuraki horizontal mills, and a few lathes.it was all big huge weldments for medical xray machines and things of that nature. Big stuff gets boring just takes so long.

back in 1988 I had a run in with a dial indicator on a milling machine, i was truing something up with a 3/4" end mill running and my sleeve was sucked into the end mill.....it ran up my right forearm and tore my shirt off at the shoulders.....cut into my arm but I was lucky the shirt wrapped the end mill so it did less damage than it could have still ended up with 14 stitches and a good scar....

it is hard to see now 27yrs ago......

20151223_005526.jpg

Yeah Comp56, machine tools aren't particular about what they machine. Glad it was not worse. Used to work at a Parker-Hannifin plant and had a guy on a large lathe accidentally expand an internal collet for big hydraulic cylinders with no cylinder over it. It came apart explosively and sent him to the hospital. Fortunately he eventually recovered. No real room for error when it comes to safety around such things.

Fazzman: it looks like a rough machined impeller of some sort. Did they just want to see if you could get the tooling in all the right places before committing? Worst things we ever dealt with (material wise) were 310 stainless and its polar opposite oxygen free pure copper, both for use in a plasma reactor at a research company. 

yeah it wasnt polished or anything like that. You're lucky Comp,Ive seen some people get nasty bites from endmills. Stainless isnt bad really depends what you are making from it Just gotta go about things a little different from the start. especially if the piece has windows and such.. I love machining 400 series stainless. Yeah pure copper can be a pain for sure. Try Magnolia Bronze sometime ;)  Alot of Intel jobs we get involve Aluminum,Stainless and Titanium. I make all sorts of chip testing equipment for them.

With todays tooling technology if you have the machinery to push the limits you can do anything. CNC technology is insanely awesome nowadays if you have the dough. Alot of shops around here still have a bunch of older slower machines,Of course there are a few really big places here like Aerojet RocketDyne. They build rockets and all sorts of Space and aircraft stuff. They have one of the largest CNC mills in the world. its a 7 axis machine,they had to build the building around the machine. This machine is for the machining of F-22 Raptor titanium Airframes

• 1 month later...

Its a prototype. All 5th axis 3d machined. Made out of aluminum. The real deal is gonna be made from some type of steel alloy.

attachicon.gif20121214_105415.jpeg

Had to show customer we could do it ☺

Yea Dan is 3d printing the same thing. It looks like the fins are shorter on the prototype you made. But almost identical. Lol

Millerz

ya I been out of the machining world for a few years now, and was in it way before CNC and a little time with it. we had many old school tips for example clear vinegar and most aluminum while cutting or drilling leaves the aluminum shiny......