Large scale machining

JimboS1ice

Cool watch if you have the time...

That is so cool to,watch can't even imagine the size of that stuff. It's huge. I love watching machine guys doing their thing. Like Abom79 on YouTube. Cool bunch of guys. And real humble too. Just like our crew.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool find,Ive run some big stuff in my day but nothing quite like that. 

A Gray dual head VTL with 15' table/chuck is largest manual machine ive run. Ive run some big horizontal NC machines,they were so large you had to ride on the machine,largest CNC lathe ive run had a 30" chuck on it. It was a pretty long machine,im 6'2" and could easily walk inside it.

At the Navy's Machinery Repairman school house there was an awesome photo from the 40's of ship's main reduction gear being milled. Double helical and 30' tall; the machinist was standing on scaffolding while at the controls. Not many chances to work at thAT scale anymore in the US.

Yeah, Sarbatche - I was a machinist mate (no machining involved) on an old WWII era destroyer with a set of those double helical reduction gears. Quietest running thing on the ship. Smooth and handling 25,000 SHP with aplomb.  I wish all the machinery on board worked so flawlessly! Amazing what a skilled operator could do without benefit of CNC.

That sounds sweet,ive machined some cool stuff for aircraft when I was in the Air Force. Sadly around here almost every shop has literally no manual machines anymore except for support equipment. You see some nice Bridgeports and lathes but they dont get used often.

I love using old school machinery. Ive met some navy machinists in the past,bunch of crazy dudes hehe.  One of my military techs chools was at a naval base,that was good times(in the 90's).