ISO MIG Welder

EEtwidget

I would like to get a MIG Welder to expand my workshop & projects. I'm local to Southern California, south Orange County area. (Mission Viejo). Limited funds ~$300-500. Mostly used for automotive fab and interesting creative robotics.

Military Vet, full time college student, & active forum member. Help a brother out.

Hard to go wrong with Miller,Lincoln or Hobart. For your price range Id suggest a portable,using self shielded wire no need for gas.

Here's a Hobart one around $400 range: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200656952_200656952?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Welding%20%3E%20MIG%20%2B%20Flux%20Core%20Welding&utm_campaign=Hobart%20Welding%20Products&utm_content=51525&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=51525&gclid=CL3X8sfU7coCFYKBaQodIk4L-A

my dad has one of these Hobart portables and it works nicely

I haven't used Hobart but that's not a bad price. I'm thinking I want 220v so I can do thicker steel, or at least so the welder doesn't have to work as hard. Old wiring in my house so I would have to run a new 20A feed anyway. Might as well install that service panel in my garage and convert the saw/air compressor over too

Thats definately possible but might not be easy for your price range. $700+ or so.   give or take.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482378_200482378?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Welding%20%3E%20MIG%20%2B%20Flux%20Core%20Welding&utm_campaign=Hobart&utm_content=20861&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=20861&gclid=CIyGt4jZ7coCFZWMaQodJJwE5g

Hobart is old school,my grandpa had a really sweet Hobart tig welder in his shop along with a few Millers and a couple Lincolns.   None of them were portable types thou like this.  They were gigantic with generators and all that cool stuff.

There is probably a bunch of guys locally down there who do alot of welding,might ask some of them if they know of anyone offloading something for cheap.  I usually get all mine done at the shop.

I haven't used Hobart but that's not a bad price. I'm thinking I want 220v so I can do thicker steel, or at least so the welder doesn't have to work as hard. Old wiring in my house so I would have to run a new 20A feed anyway. Might as well install that service panel in my garage and convert the saw/air compressor over too

for  220v welder you will want at least a 50A or 60A feed or your welder will lack power and you are defeating the purpose also depending on the specs of the welder.....you should be able to weld 3/8 with 30A then the next question is is your house 100A or 200A if its older and 100a lets hope other things are not drawing power at the same time dryer/stove/ ect ect might be to much 

I've been using the Eastwood 175 for over a year now and it's been great. It's $499 but comes with a spool gun for aluminum. Does up to 5/16" in steel or 1/4" aluminum.

It's an import, not Miller or Lincoln quality, but very capable all the same. If you decide to go with Eastwood, I can get you 10% off as well.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

• Like 2

if you are welding new steel to new steel or new steel to old steel clean mill scale off before welding with heat and or grinder and anti splatter gel or spray is your friend......if you are welding open keep nozzle clean with anti spray and if welding in closed quarters spray line of weld as well.....

argon: good cleaning and arc initiation and stability but with less thermal conductivity

helium: poor cleaning and arc initiation and stability but has good thermal conductivity.

if you are welding something that needs more power than your machine can produce a good pre-heat often helps which is a very common issue with home welding units........

• Like 1

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jimjs7434584
    Newest Member
    jimjs7434584