New Makita TD170

The.Handyman

I was able to snag the newest and most powerful impact Makita has just come out with for a killer deal.

$178 shipped to me from Japan on Ebay - Seller Yosh-set

This is being called the 'King of Impacts' by Makita and is more powerful, if only slightly, than the TD148/XDT09.

I will keep you all posted if I get slapped with any import fees.

• Like 1

Same power rating of 175nm as the TD148/XDT09 impact drive, however it is even smaller and has 6 different impact modes programmed in. Even though they share the same power rating, it does drive screws/fasteners slightly quicker than the TD148/XDT09!

If you want more info, including head to head video comparisons, check out @toolpig on instagram.

• Like 1

On 21-4-2016 at 7:34 AM, mtnkid85 said:

Would love to see a side by side shot of it with the dt148.  I love how small that one is, so Id like to see a size comparison.

the dtd 148 is 119mm long and the dtd170 is 117mm long, not much of a difference

Same power rating of 175nm as the TD148/XDT09 impact drive, however it is even smaller and has 6 different impact modes programmed in. Even though they share the same power rating, it does drive screws/fasteners slightly quicker than the TD148/XDT09!

If you want more info, including head to head video comparisons, check out@toolpig on instagram.

Yeah I've been watching the action, pretty impressive results, cool colors you can get too!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:49 PM, rrich1 said:

@The.Handyman what are your thoughts on the impact? i am looking at them again and am really interested in getting one. 

Hey rrich1, I absolutely love this impact. It is insanely powerful yet has a more compact head than my tiny Bosch 12v impact. The modes are very helpful once you get used to using them. I do not regret the $180 spent on it. I paid the same amount for my Makita oil-impulse soft impact, which has many modes as well. I will say the TDT170 is a very quiet impact when in use. Much more so than my DeWalt brushless model it replaced. I have not used the new 3 speed DeWalt to compare.

I actually use my Makita oil-impulse soft impact driver more as I have fallen in love with the speed and control it has. I do a lot of woodworking and cabinet building as I am a trim carpenter. I use the TDT170 for everything else.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:11 AM, dwain said:

This is a strange release. Same torque, same RPM, almost same size. I don't get it.

It may have nearly the same specs but I think Makita found ways to tweak it for the better and opted to do so. Being slightly smaller and with a few extra modes they managed to create an impact that is smaller than any 12v impact head. When compared head to head with the TDT148, it comes out with the victory for speed and power while under a load. The 2 are very close, but the TDT170 is more powerful. Compared to every other impact on the market, the TDT148 blew all others away in comparison tests done by users. Now, the TDT170 has bested it.

Hey rrich1, I absolutely love this impact. It is insanely powerful yet has a more compact head than my tiny Bosch 12v impact. The modes are very helpful once you get used to using them. I do not regret the $180 spent on it. I paid the same amount for my Makita oil-impulse soft impact, which has many modes as well. I will say the TDT170 is a very quiet impact when in use. Much more so than my DeWalt brushless model it replaced. I have not used the new 3 speed DeWalt to compare.

I actually use my Makita oil-impulse soft impact driver more as I have fallen in love with the speed and control it has. I do a lot of woodworking and cabinet building as I am a trim carpenter. I use the TDT170 for everything else.

If you had to pick between the oil impulse and the 170 which would you choose. I'm trying to decide between them as I dont think I really need both. I have a xdt08 as well. The quietness of the impulse is what is driving me to get it. Doesn't the 148 and 170 have the same type of speed controls as the impulse?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would say get the Oil-impulse driver! Especially if you already have the xdt08. You will be impressed. If you don't need the max torque the TDT170 offers then the oil-impulse is for you. It really is insanely quiet and such a pleasure to use. The feathering controls of the trigger are fantastic. I have grown to love the pulse aspect of the impact. The controls on the oil-impulse are the same as the TDT148. The TDT170 adds a few extra controls. I am going from my memory on the controls right now as I don't have them in front of me.

• Like 2

I would say get the Oil-impulse driver! Especially if you already have the xdt08. You will be impressed. If you don't need the max torque the TDT170 offers then the oil-impulse is for you. It really is insanely quiet and such a pleasure to use. The feathering controls of the trigger are fantastic. I have grown to love the pulse aspect of the impact. The controls on the oil-impulse are the same as the TDT148. The TDT170 adds a few extra controls. I am going from my memory on the controls right now as I don't have them in front of me.

Thanks a lot I appreciate it. Nice to actually hear from someone who has both.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

From what I've discussed with Makita tool reps and online, apparently there were complaints about the large step-up in rpm/ipm between the medium setting and the high / max setting (3rd position) on the TD148 / XDT09Z.  The TD170 / XDT12Z has a fourth step inserted in between med/hi that alleviates this concern.

Again, from much time researching online, it appears the "A" - Assist mode is meant for longer fasteners, where the screw will be driven more slowly at first start until it hits the required resistance, then it will speed up and start impacting.  Slow 'n go at first, then rock n' roll.

"T" / Tek / Tech mode is the opposite.  It speeds up initial rotation so self-tappers can get started, then it starts impacting.

I have a TD170 in green coming from Japan from the same seller as listed above.  Besides the cool color and uniqueness of having Japanese lettered buttons, I wanted to be sure to get an impact made in Japan. 

My concern appears to have been misplaced, because so far from what I've seen all of the XDT12Z's sold here in the U.S. have also been made in Japan.  So was my Mak XWT08Z 1/2" Impact Wrench.  Unsure of what the actual made-in-Japan component % has to be in Japan to qualify to be listed as "Made..." there, but its nice to start to see more and more tools coming out from there instead of China. 

P.S.  What's interesting is that on most sites or through most eBay sellers, the TD148 has a higher list price and is selling for a bit more than the TD170.  Wonder why...?

23 hours ago, rcxrc said:

From what I've discussed with Makita tool reps and online, apparently there were complaints about the large step-up in rpm/ipm between the medium setting and the high / max setting (3rd position) on the TD148 / XDT09Z.  The TD170 / XDT12Z has a fourth step inserted in between med/hi that alleviates this concern.

Again, from much time researching online, it appears the "A" - Assist mode is meant for longer fasteners, where the screw will be driven more slowly at first start until it hits the required resistance, then it will speed up and start impacting.  Slow 'n go at first, then rock n' roll.

"T" / Tek / Tech mode is the opposite.  It speeds up initial rotation so self-tappers can get started, then it starts impacting.

I have a TD170 in green coming from Japan from the same seller as listed above.  Besides the cool color and uniqueness of having Japanese lettered buttons, I wanted to be sure to get an impact made in Japan. 

My concern appears to have been misplaced, because so far from what I've seen all of the XDT12Z's sold here in the U.S. have also been made in Japan.  So was my Mak XWT08Z 1/2" Impact Wrench.  Unsure of what the actual made-in-Japan component % has to be in Japan to qualify to be listed as "Made..." there, but its nice to start to see more and more tools coming out from there instead of China. 

P.S.  What's interesting is that on most sites or through most eBay sellers, the TD148 has a higher list price and is selling for a bit more than the TD170.  Wonder why...?

They were selling dt170 in the USA with made in China on the box but the tool sticker said made in Japan. 

Doesn't matter if you buy from Japan or not. I bought a td111 from a eBay seller in Japan who I bought a my green td170, the td111 was made in China 

14 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

What is it about the 170 you like over the triple hammer? They seem pretty dead even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They really  are pretty  even  I just like  the 170 more it has more speed settings  I just like the way it fits my hand don't get me wrong the hitachi  is great too