New Makita TD170

The.Handyman

I have a lot of milwaukee  and dewalt  just recently  started  buying  makita  and ever since I have fell in love with there tools it's definitely  become my favorite  platform  although  I have less makita  than  dewalt  or milwaukee  they just fit so well in my hands so smooth  and so powerful  

• Like 1

I have a lot of milwaukee  and dewalt  just recently  started  buying  makita  and ever since I have fell in love with there tools it's definitely  become my favorite  platform  although  I have less makita  than  dewalt  or milwaukee  they just fit so well in my hands so smooth  and so powerful  

Makita has a lot of niche tools no one else provides, although Milwaukee does too but different niches lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Cripes!  I received the TD170D yesterday.  Slapped on an old BL1830 battery, fully charged, put in an Apex ACR #2 PH bit, and drove about 35 - 3" coarse gold "general purpose" screws into a piece of well seasoned old 4x4 I had in the garage that I'd been using for punching out bushings on.   I snapped off 5 of the heads.  4 separated 1" below the head (right where the threads start) and 1 at about 1-1/2" below the head (about 1/2" below where the threads start).  Most broke while using the 4th / high setting, but a couple broke using the Assist mode.

I only recall a few times that happened with my nearly decade-old Mak BTD140 (pushing 2300 RPM & 3200 IPM, vs 3600 RPM / 3800 IPM for the TD170D in high gear) running at full bore and that has singularly built a half-dozen large pergola's by itself and helped put together many dozens of concrete form setups.  I then drove a dozen of the same style screws into the 4x4 with the BTD140 and none of them broke off.  I could definitely tell a difference on how much kick & snap the new driver has vs the BTD140.  It's not huge, but it is noticeable.

I will have to pay attention to screw / fastener selection and dial down on the settings accordingly!  Yes, I know the gold bugle-headed GP screws are predominately meant for light stuff like fresh pine & Douglas fir & hanging drywall (doh!  ...but we've all done it....don't say you haven't  :-/  ). 

Besides dedicated Phillips & square / Robertson drive deck screws I'd already been switching to star-drive screws (GRK, SPAX, etc) for my impacts on some projects (and switching to better quality PB Swiss / Apex / Zephyr / Shockwave / Mak Gold bits several years ago).  But still, I almost never did that with the old driver.  This power upgrade may necessitate switching more or most of my screw fasteners over for the bigger stuff.

I noticed in some of the online literature the drill is pictured driving "hard wood" in setting 3.  Setting 4 is shown driving hole saws and lag bolts.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2016 at 7:35 AM, The.Handyman said:

I was able to snag the newest and most powerful impact Makita has just come out with for a killer deal.

$178 shipped to me from Japan on Ebay - Seller Yosh-set

This is being called the 'King of Impacts' by Makita and is more powerful, if only slightly, than the TD148/XDT09.

I will keep you all posted if I get slapped with any import fees.

what color did you get?

• 1 month later...

Ugh! I can't decide between Dewalt DCF887 and this.

I am a long time Makita user when it comes to impact drivers but I don't like the new glow in the dark rubber and clear plastic nose. I abuse the crap out of my rattle gun and I noticed some of the boys have the rubber and clear plasric torn or cracked. I am not sure about those push buttons too.

In comparison, DCF887 has a solid body all around. It's cheaper. But I heard about the bad chuck wobble, whether it makes a difference in impact drivers; I don't know. I also don't know about the dust and water resistance. My Makita's DTD152 has been left in the rain and covered in silica dust many times but still runs without a hiccup.

Which impact driver to upgrade? Hmmmmm....

I am a long time Makita user when it comes to impact drivers but I don't like the new glow in the dark rubber and clear plastic nose. I abuse the crap out of my rattle gun and I noticed some of the boys have the rubber and clear plasric torn or cracked. I am not sure about those push buttons too.

In comparison, DCF887 has a solid body all around. It's cheaper. But I heard about the bad chuck wobble, whether it makes a difference in impact drivers; I don't know. I also don't know about the dust and water resistance. My Makita's DTD152 has been left in the rain and covered in silica dust many times but still runs without a hiccup.

I got the DTD154, same specs as the 170 (torque, IPM, RPM etc..) except is has a metal cowl and no Cam out mode, otherwise, same size etc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

I got the DTD154, same specs as the 170 (torque, IPM, RPM etc..) except is has a metal cowl and no Cam out mode, otherwise, same size etc.

It comes down to "better to have, and not need, than to need and not have" doesn't it?

What do you think of the new buttons? Do they feel durable?

26 minutes ago, muddychip said:

I have only really heard of Milwaukee stuff going bad with dust particularly drywall dust. The 887 I have works fine around dust. I woud go with Makita. Makita is the impact king.

It comes down to "better to have, and not need, than to need and not have" doesn't it?

What do you think of the new buttons? Do they feel durable?

Cam out mode? Naw. I would rather the metal cowl. I have never had an issue with camming out as I don't use Philips, lol.

As for button feel, it's quite nice, better feel than my old M12 fuel's button.

10 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I have only really heard of Milwaukee stuff going bad with dust particularly drywall dust. The 887 I have works fine around dust. I woud go with Makita. Makita is the impact king.

Ouch! Team Red takes the L. Anyway, I will stay loyal and look at between DTD154 or 170.

5 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

You can peel off the protective plastic film now!

Now, why do you have to embarrass me like that? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muddychip said:

Ouch! Team Red takes the L. Anyway, I will stay loyal and look at between DTD154 or 170.

Now, why do you have to embarrass me like that? :)

Get the 154 or 170 you won't be disappointed  I have the 887 and the 170 let's just say the 887 is collecting  dust

• 1 month later...

I joined the Makita team just to get the TD170. It is quiter and smaller (head size) than my 12v Bosch impact and easily more powerful than my 200Nm Metabo impact wrench.

I've since sold both,  the TD170 does everything they did (lug nuts, small and large screws).

I'm amazed by this thing.