Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'hybrid'.
Found 2 results
As a brand new Ridgid cordless owner (around 20 hours as if this writing) and devoted DeWalt fan, I've got to say, I'm impressed! For those who missed my post in the "What Tools Did You Buy Today" thread in the Power Tools subforum, I've spent the past three nights in my truck due to a training event. Ah, the life of a Drill Sergeant... With plenty of batteries, I've waited patiently for the DeWalt fan for months with plans to buy one ASAP. Yesterday I left the training site resigned to settling with Ryobi. Fort Benning nights are hot and humid, and I didn't want to run the truck all night nor did I wish to sweat through my clothing and pillow again. Well, Ridgid had a promotion and some leftover BOGO battery packs, so here I am with two of the Ridgid fans powered by 4.0Ah batteries. I can sum these up with one word: AWESOME! I used one for about 30 minutes yesterday to show off Drill Sergeant FM's latest cordless gadget. After all, I'm the guy with the brightest lights (thanks to DeWalt, though Milwaukee and now Ridgid lighting may be in my future), an ability to repair almost anything, and who uses the most fun/least practical approach for certain things (a cordless grinder or reciprocating saw on a lock may take longer than bolt cutters, but put son a better show). I then proceeded to relax in my truck starting around 10pm, turning both fans on at about 1/4 to 1/3 speed. The low setting seems all but useless. Waking up a few times I checked the battery life, and they were still at 4 bars around 1am. Now, seven hours later both are still rocking at 3 bars. Not bad. I haven't dealt with the LSA registration yet, have no idea how these will fare long-term, and have never owned any other Ridgid cordless device. Based on first impression, though, wow! Anyway, time to inventory weapons and equipment.
Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been here for a while, but I've been really busy this summer. Things are winding down (temporarily) and I have some time to spend in the shop. I have a mobile workbench/assembly table that I have used for many years. It is very solid , but my biggest issues are its ugly, I always seem to clutter the work surface while I am working and I have to get clever with clamps to hold items where I want them. I like the idea of a Ron Paulk bench, but I want a more traditional bench that I can use in the shop. LIGHT BULB! So I said to myself, why not make a hybrid version of these two tables. I have a bunch of Douglas Fir 4X4s laying around, so I figured this would make for a solid bench. I'm building this in two parts....the bottom/cabinet part and then the Ron Paulk top. Here is what I have so far. I started off drum sanding all of the 4x4's so that all of the boards were straight and consistent in thickness. (no picture) I cut all of the 4x4's to length using the Kreg Track kit to make sure everything is the exact length. I marked out where all of the fasteners were to go. I'm using 5 inch 5/16th Lag bolts to attach all of the 4x4's. I started by drilling pilot holes all the way through the 4x4's. I then used a 5/8" forstner bit and drilled a hole 1 inch deep so the 5" lag bolt will sink far enough into the receiving board to give me a strong joint. After that, I followed the original pilot hole with a 5/16" drill bit to allow the lag bolts to slide through. With all of the holes drilled, I cut some Rabbets to accept some 3/4" plywood panels to box in the bottom and give the base a lot more strength. With all of my holes drilled and rabbets cut, I ran the boards through the drum sander again. This time with 220 grit paper....just to make them smooth. No need for this step, I just wanted to do it. Now comes the fun stuff...assembly. Pretty straight forward here. Make sure everything lines up and then bolt up. I used a combination of pocket holes and regular screws to attach the plywood to the box. Where I cut rabbets, I used regular screws. Since I didn't want to cut out the corners, I just used pocket screws to attach the ends without rabbets. Not the most visually appealing look, but none of them will be visible in the final product. I left the front open because I am going to install two full length, full extension drawers to hold the items I will use at the table most. I will attach the casters next and then move onto the top and attaching the vice. Thanks for taking a peak at what I have going on right now.