DCD996: Thoughts

eddie1976

Is the DeWalt DCD996 too much for someone who won't be using it for masonry drilling on a daily basis? I guess on the day you need it, you will be glad to have it. I believe  few people say "boy this        " has too much power wish it had less. Based on that, I think the 996 should be fine for someone who doesn't use its capabilities everyday. 

I'm trying to figure out which would be a better fit for me, the 996 or DCD796. I have a kit with the DCD791 (regular drill) and I'm wondering if I should go with the 796 or 996 instead. 

Between those two it's really a tradeoff between weight and power.  If you can find a store with both on display to compare, see if you're ok with the weight of the DCD996.  Personally there's such a difference in power I'd go for the DCD996.

Edit just noticed you have the DCD791 already so the DCD796 would be redundant.  If you really want the DCD996 for masonry, skip that and get a rotary hammer.

^^ mostly agreed. 796 is not a good choice if you have the 791. if you want a more powerful DRILL, with a bit of hammering, get the 996. If you want to do lots of hammer drilling, get an SDS rotary drill. 

• Like 1

That day you need to put a couple tapcons into brick and don't have a hammer drill, you'll be kicking yourself. Do I rent a rotary hammer, hire someone, borrow from a friend, skip the project etc.? It becomes an ordeal. Buy the 996 and when that day comes you'll be excited to harness the power of a very capable drill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

796 is the same drill as the 791 but has the hammer function which IMO is pointless in a compact drill. My m12 hammer drill has a hammer on it just for decoration lol, so like the great advice you got above, if your going to use it all day long grab an SDS, if not the 996 will do great, I had the 995 and I loved it for drilling concrete, much better than the Milwaukee. Not sure if the 996 is available yet though...

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, dwain said:

if you believe you'll be using the hammer function even semi-regularly, definitely the 996. i personally think 791 + SDS is a great combination though.

Does the dewalt SDS come with a three jaw chuck replacement?  I think that would make a better choice than 996 if it can be used for large boring bits.

Looks like I will be returning my kit (283D2, drove one screw with it) and getting the 299P2 that has the 996 drill. Might be a brand new 5Ah battery for sale soon. I think I will keep one 5Ah, sell the other and buy 2Ah for the impact driver. Keep one of the big boys for the heavy work, the little guy for just driving screws. Been eyeing the impact wrench too (899P1 I think). Had a hell of a time getting rusted lug nuts off the car last time I rotated tires. 45 minutes of liquid wrench, banging, pounding and I finally got one lug off. Maybe I will rotate my tires more if I have the impact wrench, saving tire life and $$$. So, I'm not spending money, I'm saving tire life. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!;D

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Ordered one this morning!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo, you told me to wait be patient the price will come down lol. I love you man. In a bro way! So I guess we will be getting them the same day hehe. 

Jimbo, you told me to wait be patient the price will come down lol. I love you man. In a bro way! So I guess we will be getting them the same day hehe. 

I couldn't cancel the order after we talked about holding out for a better deal lol

• Like 1

Looks like I will be returning my kit (283D2, drove one screw with it) and getting the 299P2 that has the 996 drill. Might be a brand new 5Ah battery for sale soon. I think I will keep one 5Ah, sell the other and buy 2Ah for the impact driver. Keep one of the big boys for the heavy work, the little guy for just driving screws. Been eyeing the impact wrench too (899P1 I think). Had a hell of a time getting rusted lug nuts off the car last time I rotated tires. 45 minutes of liquid wrench, banging, pounding and I finally got one lug off. Maybe I will rotate my tires more if I have the impact wrench, saving tire life and $$$. So, I'm not spending money, I'm saving tire life. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!;D

What would you be looking for for the price of a 5.0? I have extra 2.0s if you'd be willing to work something out.

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

What would you be looking for for the price of a 5.0? I have extra 2.0s if you'd be willing to work something out.

Not sure, once I get the kit (will wait for potential fathers day discounts), I will let you know. Are your 2.0s brand spanking new? 

Not sure, once I get the kit (will wait for potential fathers day discounts), I will let you know. Are your 2.0s brand spanking new? 

No about a year old but still in good shape I don't use them much I stick with higher ah packs