Radio shootout

Fazzman

I'm excited about a radio shootout. My shop/man cave needs a new radio system so bad. I love music but my current system doesnt do music justice in anyway. If I could get bass like my Klipsch system in the house that would be sweet.

Ive been eyeing that newer Dewalt and Bosch system for a while. New Ridgid seems to be getting good reviews,but stories of bad lcd.

Im curious to see what Dan and Eric say. Ive been a bit of an audiophile for many years but building a nice component system takes up quite a bit of space. And jobsite type stereos can withstand the dust and such better.

My current junk system no bass in anyway just a super low end RCA system.

20160517_104518_zpsq66ajrs7.jpg

Im hoping I can sweet talk the queen of the castle out of a couple hundos to get what I want.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, tonylandin said:

I have the dewalt tough system music and I can say I love it. It is great only problem is clock works on radio station feedback and I have only found one station that sends clock info. But otherwise it is awesome

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

Yeah ive heard about that but the clock is not an important factor for me or many other folks id imagine and most likely ill be listening to mp3 via line in.

Id love to just be able plug in a thumb drive,that would be very cool.

29 minutes ago, Fazzman said:

I'm excited about a radio shootout. My shop/man cave needs a new radio system so bad. I love music but my current system doesnt do music justice in anyway. If I could get bass like my Klipsch system in the house that would be sweet.

Ive been eyeing that newer Dewalt and Bosch system for a while. New Ridgid seems to be getting good reviews,but stories of bad lcd.

Im curious to see what Dan and Eric say. Ive been a bit of an audiophile for many years but building a nice component system takes up quite a bit of space. And jobsite type stereos can withstand the dust and such better.

My current junk system no bass in anyway just a super low end RCA system.

20160517_104518_zpsq66ajrs7.jpg

Im hoping I can sweet talk the queen of the castle out of a couple hundos to get what I want.

Why not go with a cheap receiver and a couple of speakers and a 8" sub. You could get all of that for about 250 easy. You could even get the sub at a later date to save some money. Would sound better then any battery operated system by a tool maker. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I like the sound of the Milwaukee one, if not that I like the Bosch and Dewalt too.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are referring to the 2792, I was also blown away by the sound quality on that thing, then I got my DeWalt and now I can't stand the Milwaukee. The issue is the Milwaukee is that it sounds great untill about 65% volume and then quality goes downhill really quickly. I like the tough system radio because it is clear all the way to max volume so when you are pulling an all nighter you can turn on some Judas Priest and turn it all the way up and really bang your head to keep you from dozing off. The tough system has no issues filling a 5000 sq ft shop with sound. That Milwaukee still is a great radio though. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nordraw said:

Why not go with a cheap receiver and a couple of speakers and a 8" sub. You could get all of that for about 250 easy. You could even get the sub at a later date to save some money. Would sound better then any battery operated system by a tool maker. 

Couldn't agree more. You can buy an old Sansui, Pioneer, Yamaha or something for under $100. Speakers can be found for plenty cheap also, and you can space the cost out by using the current speakers until you find some nicer speakers.

Honestly, I've worked on some of these portable speakers(none from the tool brands) and they're very poor quality, electronically. The stuff from the 70s, 80s and early 90s are just soo much nicer, more robust and not designed as disposable.

• Like 1

I am starting to think auctions are only popular in my area, but if you have an auction house close by check there first. I go to a weekly auction that gets older systems in frequently that sell super cheap. If you are cool with the line in vs bluetooth that is the way to go.  I see decent sets go for under $25 occasionally. 

• Like 1

I am starting to think auctions are only popular in my area, but if you have an auction house close by check there first. I go to a weekly auction that gets older systems in frequently that sell super cheap. If you are cool with the line in vs bluetooth that is the way to go.  I see decent sets go for under $25 occasionally. 

Not that frequent around here, although there is a place that does farm equipment and smaller related items about every other month

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Farm,auto,equipment auctions around here.

Those require time which id rather spend doing other things,plus id rather have new. I dont wanna buy others people junk because half the time they are far from completely working.

One man's trash is another man's treasure... haha. I live near the head quarters for Kikoauctions.com and we have tons of local auctions and their weekly auction barn. You find some great buys and some junk for sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Right on Brian,thanks man. That would be cool.

I can solder pretty well if needed. Out of practice on surface mount and such but changing out a pot,capacitor and what not is pretty easy to do if i remember right.

I studied electronics technology in college,been a while since then. Thats another reason i need to build a nice bench so I can keep my soldering station setup somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 99_XC600 said:

I picked this up last year at a tag sale for $25.

0700D566-9C66-4AC3-83C0-F0462B27D0BE_zps

Wow,yall got me curious now. I guess ill be seeing where i can find some local auctions. nice score. I would have paid that just for the receiver. 

I used to have a bunch of extra home stereo stuff but my ex stole them and sold them for who knows what. I had some pretty badass cerwin vega 15" towers hooked up to a Pioneer system solely for music, and hand picked dcm speakers and sub hooked up to a denon  for home theater. Currently i have Klipsch.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fazzman said:

Wow,yall got me curious now. I guess ill be seeing where i can find some local auctions. nice score. I would have paid that just for the receiver. 

I used to have a bunch of extra home stereo stuff but my ex stole them and sold them for who knows what. I had some pretty badass cerwin vega 15" towers hooked up to a Pioneer system solely for music, and hand picked dcm speakers and sub hooked up to a denon  for home theater. Currently i have Klipsch.

You can try pawn shops too. I went into one checking out DMMs and stuff, saw some Kenwood speaker set including the rear, bookshelf, center and sub for $35 and saw a Technics 60+1 CD changer...it had a sticker for $25, then had another that said "Free." I asked him "What's free about it?" He said, "You take it off my shelf, I'll hold the door for you" ...so I took it and thanked him. It took me about 3 mins to fix it, it just needed a belt and to be realigned.

I see speakers and amps all the time. If it's something that isn't mainstream, it's normally cheap. Technics, Fisher, Sansui, JC Penny(Normally Fischer), etc.. all sell for next to nothing. Give it a good look over though, if it looks like it was infested STAY AWAY.

• Like 3