DCF899 vs DCF899H

Paul_Delahaye

Thinking of getting one of these high power impacts, but a little confused over the choice between hog ring and detent pin anvils?

How do you release the impact socket from the detent pin?  For what uses does one version become a better option than the other, which one have people opted for? 

Thanks

Paul

• Like 2

To release the detent you must have a high level of rage, a fowl mouth and a direction of cursing the pin until it releases its unholy hell on the socket lol, it's a safety mechanism which is good for overhead work like sterco said but other than that I prefer hog rings

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Or you can be like me and get both because why not spend twice the amount for the same thing lol. 99 % of the time you can get away with ring over the pin. 

And have one of every flavor?? Lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you think you need the pin detent, but wont be using it often, just rotate the socket so the pin doesn't engage the hole in the socket. Then when you're working over a pit or deep hole you don't want your socket to accidentally fall off, put it on the anvil and make sure the pin clicks into place in the hole on the socket

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Or you can be like me and get both because why not spend twice the amount for the same thing lol. 99 % of the time you can get away with ring over the pin. 

I've got the hog ring on my Bosch but I've actually had the spring on the end come off of the darn thing!!!! It works great now but that was a pain in the butt! I'd like to get the pin detent but truthfully my use of the impact wrench is limited. God knows I'm no mechanic!

5 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

If you think you need the pin detent, but wont be using it often, just rotate the socket so the pin doesn't engage the hole in the socket. Then when you're working over a pit or deep hole you don't want your socket to accidentally fall off, put it on the anvil and make sure the pin clicks into place in the hole on the socket

It depends on the socket. If you do this on a Milwaukee at least with a socket that has a groove inside all around you will most likely be cutting that socket off. Same with hand sockets that have the hole for the pin but it doesn't go all the way through to the outside. You are better off putting a 1/2 extension that is only as long as an adapter and just taking the sockets off that.

I know I'm in the minority here, but let me take a moment here to advocate for the pin devil *cough* detent.  For sockets, if you can find some with just a groove ground in instead of a hole from the outside they will stay on well but still come off with a good yank.  If you find some without a groove or hole, then you can grind a grooves yourself in an hour or so for the whole set.  The advantage of a pin detent is it will be capable of holding something like https://www.amazon.com/COOPER-TOOLS-QR-514-QUICK-RELEASING/dp/B00KZAO22W/ on to use auger bits with your impact.  That's just not an option with a hog ring.  I know you're probably go with a hog ring because it's generally a better option but you should know this before you buy one.  I wish they would put a quick release in like on some ratchets but no one seems to care.

10 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I have the pin, this is what I do !