Milwaukee vs DeWalt....

RickyMcGrath

On 8/28/2016 at 5:04 PM, wildroamer said:

I bought a Makita 5007MGA that I've really been enjoying, so had a tougher time rationalizing another circ saw purchase. 

I'm sure I'll be ordering one though, after I've had time to play with the recip and grinder!

Makita has made great circular saws for years, and haven't changed that much in a dozen years or more. I know I took a good hard look at one while I was looking at new circular saws a few years ago. It came down to the Makita, one of the early Tilt lock Milwaukees and the Porter-Cable that was still around that was actually a contractor grade saw with the angle dust port on the front. I went with the Milwaukee and I love the tilt lock especially when cutting sheet goods. Unlike some folks around here, l like have both left and right hand blade saws available to me. There are just times that one works better than the other.

• Like 2

On August 28, 2016 at 4:09 PM, 77Ford said:

Do not forget to order your Flexvolt from Taner, CPO or Factory Direct......they are giving away some sweet yellow tools for "Free" with your Flexvolt purchase.

tried searching taner to see the free tool deal but found no store called taner.

almost thought about canceling my 2 orders so I could rebuy the same 2 tools but switch the free tools so I could get the more valuable impact wrenches for free then sell the free tools and purchase the flextvolt hammerdrill and impact driver kit. Would've essentially given me a free flexvolt battery, 2 amp hour battery, a fast charger, and a tool bag for free. The extra flex volt and 2 amp hour batteries may come in handy for heavy tool usage or if a more compact battery is desired.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 77Ford said:

www.dewaltflexvolt.com or www.Tannerbolt.com emoji481.png

Just noticed on CPO website ......still taking pre orders but delivery will be November 15th 2016

Hopefully that's for the second wave of pre order...I'll be pissed if it takes them 3 months to ship my preorder.

• Like 2

Looks like Milwaukee is having a fire sale lol. Everything is soaked in Fuel and the match is lit. This month's flyers are rolling in and there's special attention paid to the Fuel grinders, Sawzall, Hawgs, and circ saws in particular. All kits with a pair of 5.0s priced below the 1-battery FlexVolt kits (though as I said I can find 2 battery FlexVolt kits so the price difference isn't huge). The FlexVolt kits all coming with the ridiculous fast charger is a huge plus, M18 is dragging as there, aside from the Super Hawgs and polisher, and 9.0HD kits. 

The 2731-22 at $350 CAD is especially good value when you realize the best price you can get lately on a 2 pack of M18 5.0s is $220 CAD. Dewalts battery pricing is so much better than Milwaukee it's sickening. Not that Dewalt doesn't have some prices that could make your brain hurt: bare tool power station $580 CAD. 

• Like 2

I'd pay it if it were a proper 4 bank rapid charger on top of the inverting because then you wouldn't need another 4 batteries to cycle, you could just plug in and charge up in a very short period of down time... but it's otherwise a big miss despite it's game changing potential. 

The minimum investment into the system for that ability is prohibitively expensive. 8 batteries, the station, and 4 stand alone rapid chargers to insure you can charge as fast as you're depleting the station. 

Cha-ching.

On August 31, 2016 at 7:45 PM, joemontague said:

It's just the dcd 996 and the dcf 887 it's just the 20v drill and impact  

the bare tool high torque 3/4 in impact wrench is priced at $269. The bare tool impact and hammer drill are $100 and $120ish respectively. If I were to have picked 2 of the 3/4 impact wrenches I could have sold them for $200 a piece which is around $60 of savings for the buyer and would have $400 to invest in the flexvolt impact and hammerdrill. The flexvolt impact and hammerdrill set is around $400

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 9:10 AM, Bremon said:

Yeah, that power station really ought to have been a rapid charger rather than 4 1 amp bays. Charge your future 9.0, it will only take all day. Guaranteed Slow.

Yea...dewalt has always been good at pumping out something that makes me stand back and think WTF to myself. This one is way, way up there on the WTF scale. I'd much rather they remove the ability as a charger all together and cut the cost down to something realistic. As a charger it's pathetically useless. 

Compare.dewalt.com doesn't pan out as favourably in my eyes as I think Dewalt would like it to:

Circular saw cuts faster than the 2731 but only gets 10% more run time with a 20% bigger battery.

Grinder looks to be an all-around improvement but they specifically list using a FlexVolt disc with the Dewalt. Could be the accessory leads to bigger improvements than the tool/battery themselves do.

The joist drill numbers really shine compare to M18 super hawg but bits aren't detailed.

System looks terrific regardless and I can't wait to see some reasonably-independent head-to-heads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

Compare.dewalt.com doesn't pan out as favourably in my eyes as I think Dewalt would like it to:

Circular saw cuts faster than the 2731 but only gets 10% more run time with a 20% bigger battery.

Grinder looks to be an all-around improvement but they specifically list using a FlexVolt disc with the Dewalt. Could be the accessory leads to bigger improvements than the tool/battery themselves do.

The joist drill numbers really shine compare to M18 super hawg but bits aren't detailed.

System looks terrific regardless and I can't wait to see some reasonably-independent head-to-heads. 

There are so many asterisks on that page I thought for a moment the Dewalt trademark was for 20V MAX* instead of 20V MAX.  There are:

************************************ (36) total *

****************************** (30) point to a reference

******** (8) are doubled

****** (6) are the reference

**** (4) point from one reference to another

dewalt vs milwaukee.png

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bremon said:

Joist drill old vs new hole saw comparison: 

As for the grinder, what sold me was a video of a guy trying to stop it by mashing a disk into a plate of steel, and he couldn't make it stop. I don't care if it necessarily cuts faster but I want the RPM's it has to stay higher so that you're getting maximum efficiency with the amount of battery consumed. The old grinder when pushed this way can kill my entire fleet of batteries within an hour. 

• Like 2