Circular saw or sawzall?

olletsocmit

awesome saw, I too felt the 7 1/4 was heavy and not much more cutting ability compared to the extra weight...

The one thing I did notice and hopefully someone can clear this up is that on the 7 1/4 there was a cut out at the back of the guard that covers the top of the blade. where the saw dust shoots out. on this one there is no cut out where does the sawdust come out just everywhere instead of being directed to one place?

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse but I'm still really on the fence about this 6.5 vs 7 1/4" saw. Just was when looking for a blade for it today there was only two at Home Depot that fit and both of them were junk ...as far as the bigger one, there must've been about 20 choices. I stopped to talk to the Milwaukee rep when he saw me today about the circ saws in general and he said the 6 1/2 gets about 180 cuts and the 7 1/4 gets over 300 when cutting 2x4's.

On another site it said that the 6 1/2 fuel is around three years old and the 7 1/4 is about a year so the tech in the bigger one is better and allows it to get almost 3 cuts?

I'm usually not like this tools

I am seriously skeptical of that claim re: runtime. The motors look identical to me, though perhaps the included batteries in the kits are different.

How often do you change your blade? I hardly ever change mine, and have a backup from when i saw a good deal on a 6.5" anyway. Amazon is your friend :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dwain said:

I am seriously skeptical of that claim re: runtime. The motors look identical to me, though perhaps the included batteries in the kits are different.

How often do you change your blade? I hardly ever change mine, and have a backup from when i saw a good deal on a 6.5" anyway. Amazon is your friend :)

I change mine back and forth between a 40t finish and the new 24t framing Diablo. I'm going to be doing some composite decking and will prob pick up a blade for that too. It's true you don't switch blades THAT often but it's super nice to have a huge choice to go to when you walk into any HD, or whatever they use down under ? That being said the blade my 7-1/4 fuel came with was kinda meh and the new Diablo framing blades cut so well it almost feels like they're cutting balsa, even wet pressure treated...

• Like 1

Does anyone think it's true that the 7 1/4 can get almost double the cuts with a larger blade too? I don't care about that as much, cutting almost 200 2x4's on a single battery is plenty haha. But thoughts were about the power of the 7 1/4 and how much stronger and what the smaller one can't cut that the bigger can

There's no perfect saw. Sounds like ur looking for reasons to get the 7 1/4. If that's so then get it and enjoy. My co-worker just bought the 7 1/4 and loves it and so do I, but my preference is with the size and blade side so I ordered the 6 1/2 and am happy to say I'll be officially switched over to the red side!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, olletsocmit said:

Does anyone think it's true that the 7 1/4 can get almost double the cuts with a larger blade too? I don't care about that as much, cutting almost 200 2x4's on a single battery is plenty haha. But thoughts were about the power of the 7 1/4 and how much stronger and what the smaller one can't cut that the bigger can

Double is a lot. The bigger blade alone will use more power even with no load but it is a little newer and they probably made some advances in the time between the 6.5 introduction and the 7-1/4 coming out. I don't buy the idea they use the same motor but I doubt it gets 2x's the cuts, the 6.5 fuel was one of the best if not the best cordless circ saw until the 7-1/4 came out. You figure if it was all the same internally essentially they would have just released a 7-1/4 from the get go as they would have already had class leading performance with the larger blade. That all being said I think Milwaukee's lineup of brushless circ saws is impressive from the 5-3/8 to the 6-1/2 to the 7-1/4... You really can't go wrong with any as long as you like the blade handedness and it cuts the depth you need.

• Like 1

Thanks@JerryNY good stuff. Yea I just looked and the7 1/4" has some newer parts. Def not same inside. It had a higher # stator (basically the main part of the motor) bigger means more could and more power, etc. but regardless all it offers is more power, a tad deeper cutting, more cutting time, etc. as long as it can cut plywood and 2x4's I'm good!

• Like 1

FWIW I used my Fuel 7 1/4 for the first time yesterday. Got it for free when I bought my OneKey kit. Anyway, It tore through the 3/4 and 1/2 Baltic birch plywood that I was cutting. Even with the framing blade that came with it, there was zero tearout. There was a very tiny bit of what I would describe as feathering at the edge, but that would have been gone had I used some masking tape on the exit side of the wood. Anyway, when you start cutting, the saw sounds like a corded model. The blade speed is similar and the saw has plenty of power. I was amazed at just how easy and quick it went through the 3/4"

Before I got the Milwaukee Fuel I had the new Ridgid brushless. The Ridgid saw had an RPM of like 4,000 vs the Milwaukee which is like 5,000+. You can tell the difference in cutting as it is like night and day.

If I had the balance to use I would keep saving and grab the fuel version of either. The brushless motors really do provide a bunch more power.

• Like 1

FWIW I used my Fuel 7 1/4 for the first time yesterday. Got it for free when I bought my OneKey kit. Anyway, It tore through the 3/4 and 1/2 Baltic birch plywood that I was cutting. Even with the framing blade that came with it, there was zero tearout. There was a very tiny bit of what I would describe as feathering at the edge, but that would have been gone had I used some masking tape on the exit side of the wood. Anyway, when you start cutting, the saw sounds like a corded model. The blade speed is similar and the saw has plenty of power. I was amazed at just how easy and quick it went through the 3/4"

Before I got the Milwaukee Fuel I had the new Ridgid brushless. The Ridgid saw had an RPM of like 4,000 vs the Milwaukee which is like 5,000+. You can tell the difference in cutting as it is like night and day.

If I had the balance to use I would keep saving and grab the fuel version of either. The brushless motors really do provide a bunch more power.

Yea you don't lose rpm with the fuel, I have the ridgid as well rpm is 3500 for the brushless 3400 for the brush and it'll drop rpms. Fuel saws are really great machines regardless of size

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Try replacing that stock blade with a Diablo; you can buy two of the new ones for $10. You won't believe the difference it makes. The stock one isn't horrible but the Diablo's just slices through stuff with so little effort it even makes the battery seem 50% bigger.  Remember a mediocre blade is exactly the same as having mediocre tires on a great car. If where the rubber meets the road is sub par all performance will suffer, no way around it.  Heck, I have a 40 tooth Diablo finish blade and I think it cuts with less effort than the OEM blade the saw came with. 

33 minutes ago, MikeInCtown said:

Tear out and feathering are much less if you go with a 40t finish blade, I used one to make some cuts on a maple kitchen cabinet to fit a gas range top and it left such a smooth edge I didn't even need to sand it. The edge wasn't going to really show but it was painted and you never want to chip the edge and start having the finish be compromised and crack along a chip. If you do lots of plywood it's not a bad idea to go with a higher tooth blade because the saw isn't struggling much with the shallow depth so you can afford to add a little drag with more teeth and get a nicer cut...image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

1 hour ago, JerryNY said:

Tear out and feathering are much less if you go with a 40t finish blade, I used one to make some cuts on a maple kitchen cabinet to fit a gas range top and it left such a smooth edge I didn't even need to sand it. The edge wasn't going to really show but it was painted and you never want to chip the edge and start having the finish be compromised and crack along a chip. If you do lots of plywood it's not a bad idea to go with a higher tooth blade because the saw isn't struggling much with the shallow depth so you can afford to add a little drag with more teeth and get a nicer cut...image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I'm very aware of how saw blades work. (as well as masking tape to control any chipping or tearout) I can honestly say that even with the factory framing blade, you weren't going to do better with a blade with more teeth unless you used masking tape. The only time I've seen a better edge on wood without tape is on my old Unisaw with a zero clearance insert.

The point of my post was that the saw is amazing, and especially so against the brushless Ridgid model that I used cutting up laminated pressboard and MDF. The Ridgid would bog some as I cut while the Milwaukee cut as fast as I could push the saw. The battery may not last as long in the Milwaukee as in the Ridgid but that extra RPM more than makes up for the loss of battery life. If I hadn't gotten the saw for free, I think it is worth their asking price. (and who knows, maybe they'll offer a free battery promotion or something soon)

Oh, and one more thing... The Ridgid threw sawdust EVERYFREAKINGWHERE while the Milwaukee guided the sawdust mostly through the port that was designed to throw the sawdust.

• Like 1

Masking tapes helps for sure but if tear out is any consideration at all a higher tooth blade is in order.  Not only teeth but quality too. My Diablo framing blades are thinner kerf and have way less tear out because they cut more efficiently and with less friction than the stock blade.

• Like 1

I'm very aware of how saw blades work. (as well as masking tape to control any chipping or tearout) I can honestly say that even with the factory framing blade, you weren't going to do better with a blade with more teeth unless you used masking tape. The only time I've seen a better edge on wood without tape is on my old Unisaw with a zero clearance insert.

The point of my post was that the saw is amazing, and especially so against the brushless Ridgid model that I used cutting up laminated pressboard and MDF. The Ridgid would bog some as I cut while the Milwaukee cut as fast as I could push the saw. The battery may not last as long in the Milwaukee as in the Ridgid but that extra RPM more than makes up for the loss of battery life. If I hadn't gotten the saw for free, I think it is worth their asking price. (and who knows, maybe they'll offer a free battery promotion or something soon)

Oh, and one more thing... The Ridgid threw sawdust EVERYFREAKINGWHERE while the Milwaukee guided the sawdust mostly through the port that was designed to throw the sawdust.

What made you choose the 7 1/4" one instead of the 6.5" for that kinda work. Also what is that red thing on your saw

The red thing on my saw? It's a Bora saw plate for their saw guide. Basically it's pseudo track saw with the plate which sits in channels on the metal guide. It works pretty well, once you get the saw secured it keeps it from wandering better than if you just pressed the saw against the side of the guide.

• Like 1

The red thing on my saw? It's a Bora saw plate for their saw guide. Basically it's pseudo track saw with the plate which sits in channels on the metal guide. It works pretty well, once you get the saw secured it keeps it from wandering better than if you just pressed the saw against the side of the guide.

If you would of done that exact job with the 6.5" would it have been just as good. You ever use it

I don't have the 6.5 but it looks like the base plate is similar if I recall correctly so it should be ok. The Bora guide is great but I can see how the plate is limited by how well it interfaces with each type of saw.  I'm pretty happy with how it works on the 7-1/4 fuel. The stainless plate that has a ruler with inscribed markings on the front of the fuel makes for a good area for the two cone shapped mounting screws to grab on and prevent lateral movement.