The conversion is an interesting option, but damn even importing a EU saw is crazy expensive. You looking at 280 to 330 dollars for the bare tool that's a lot more than what it costs here :( It would have been nice if Milwaukee let us upgrade to the dust extractor at least. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=M18+CCS66+&_sacat=0

• Like 1

These are the kind of applications Milwaukee needs to really capture the woodworking and trim carpenters. I am a Milwaukee guy with experience using Festool and now recently with DeWalt miter/track saws and would love to go Milwaukee. The new miter (and planer) is a start, but I still bought a corded DeWalt 12" slider. Crown stops, dust collectors and options for stands are still needed for the M18, plus I got a free large stand with my Dewalt...

Until the dust collection becomes a priority this will be a hard market to crack. Imagine a M18 compact table saw, Fuel track saw, domino/dowel jointer, routers of all sizes, and all made with proper dust collection tolerances.

Hope all this works out for you.

• Like 1

The conversion is an interesting option, but damn even importing a EU saw is crazy expensive. You looking at 280 to 330 dollars for the bare tool that's a lot more than what it costs here [emoji20] It would have been nice if Milwaukee let us upgrade to the dust extractor at least. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=M18+CCS66+&_sacat=0

Yeah that's why it's taken me so long and hundreds of $$ in long-distance phone calls. haha. but I finally found somebody overseas who is also interested in US parts so he's basically covering the shipping because he is interested in doing the opposite there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So last night I sent the money to my contact & I'm super excited! I sent $100 because he sending me some extra parts for a few other tools I'm going to convert... which I will update you all on soon.

It cost me about $40 for the parts for this build, I'm sorry it took so long everyone, I've literally been saving five dollars a paycheck for the last few months due to money issues and a lot of family struggles which a bunch of you know about and have been very supportive and kind!

I can't wait to do this and will write up a very very in-depth tutorial and some videos when it arrives. even though it's taken a long time, I hope to contribute more projects to this forum and will let you guys pick the next one!! hopefully it's not going to be another five dollar a week at a time saving $, but I'm Trying

• Like 3

So last night I sent the money to my contact & I'm super excited! I sent $100 because he sending me some extra parts for a few other tools I'm going to convert... which I will update you all on soon.

It cost me about $40 for the parts for this build, I'm sorry it took so long everyone, I've literally been saving five dollars a paycheck for the last few months due to money issues and a lot of family struggles which a bunch of you know about and have been very supportive and kind!

I can't wait to do this and will write up a very very in-depth tutorial and some videos when it arrives. even though it's taken a long time, I hope to contribute more projects to this forum and will let you guys pick the next one!! hopefully it's not going to be another five dollar a week at a time saving $, but I'm Trying

Very cool man glad to hear things are turning a positive note for you, can't wait to see how this turns out

• Like 1

Very very cool I've been dabbling into finding parts here and there but mainly just chatting with a guy from Australia who said he would look into it for kicks lol! 

You have the 6-1/2" but I have both the 7-1/4" and m12 5-3/8" ones so those are what I'm interested in getting info on.

12 minutes ago, olletsocmit said:

@ChrisK thanks a lot man. I appreciate the support

No problem Timmy. I'm really excited about your project. I think this really cool and it'd be especially near for other models....say my flexvolt :D

I never thought dust collection was that important, then I started using Festools. Now I am more aware of how much dust sprays everywhere and is inhaled while woodworking with other tools. Other tools definitely do the same or better job in regards to performance at a lower price but at the expense of mess and potentially health. I wish more big companies would put more thought into the dust collection aspect. I bought the Milwaukee m18 Miter saw and while I do like it, it has to be used outside. It is apparent that they had a "whatever" attitude when designing the dust collection aspect of it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marcv76 said:

I never thought dust collection was that important, then I started using Festools. Now I am more aware of how much dust sprays everywhere and is inhaled while woodworking with other tools. Other tools definitely do the same or better job in regards to performance at a lower price but at the expense of mess and potentially health. I wish more big companies would put more thought into the dust collection aspect. I bought the Milwaukee m18 Miter saw and while I do like it, it has to be used outside. It is apparent that they had a "whatever" attitude when designing the dust collection aspect of it. 

Exactly. Or whole society here in the states mostly is in that "whatever"attitude I agree with that for sure!!

• Like 1

I never thought dust collection was that important, then I started using Festools. Now I am more aware of how much dust sprays everywhere and is inhaled while woodworking with vother tools. Other tools definitely do the same or better job in regards to performance at a lower price but at the expense of mess and potentially health. I wish more big companies would put more thought into the dust collection aspect. I bought the Milwaukee m18 Miter saw and while I do like it, it has to be used outside. It is apparent that they had a "whatever" attitude when designing the dust collection aspect of it. 

Very well said

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Decided to take this trip down the rabbit hole myself:

They have arrived!!!

I was in contact with a gentleman from Australia, by the name of Scott from Total Tools South Melborne, if anyone is on the IG, you know what clown i'm talking about :D

IMG_20170113_173635533

• Like 4

So the 7-1/4" was easy enough, I just need to find a way to pull the logo off the original guard and put on the new, shouldn't be too difficult

The m12 5-3/8" got interesting:

Here's how I'm doing the mod:

I have removed the outer guard in this pic, pretty self explanatory

Then take my snap ring pliers and pull the ring off for the blade guard:

IMG_20170113_185645209

Remove the metal cover over the guard spring: This exposes the guard spring and also the bolt for the shoe adjustment

IMG_20170113_185739950

You can then remove the spring by gently pulling it out of the groove it sits in:

IMG_20170113_185914001

Remove the shoe adjustment tensioning handle:

IMG_20170113_190023403

Once you have removed the handle pictured above, you can unscrew the shaft that adjusts the shoe height by turning it CLOCKWISE, since it's reverse threads

Then pull the pin on the front of the shoe:

IMG_20170113_190136760

The shoe will just come off now:

IMG_20170113_190153807

Remove this rubber bumper:

IMG_20170113_190418626

Remove this metal cover to expose the LED and wiring:

IMG_20170113_190549673

Pull the LED out and remove it from the pigtail:

IMG_20170113_190609841

Now would be a good time to clean it up:

IMG_20170113_191103416

Flip it over and remove the outer handle assembly:

IMG_20170113_192448867

have to either cut or remove this sticker:

IMG_20170113_192710757

In the guts of it all

IMG_20170113_192754201

Remove the screws holding the plastic handle assembly to the metal housing:

IMG_20170113_195720301

This can be a little tricky, but pull the handle assembly up and thread the wires back through carefully:

IMG_20170113_200146617

Once you have the plastic handle assembly out of the way, remove the screws holding the motor to the metal housing:

IMG_20170113_200419811

Remove the motor and watch the blade lock mechanism, it has a spring, but i don't think that should come flying out at you, either way, just make sure you watch it:

IMG_20170113_200520675

Here's the spring, 

IMG_20170113_200824941

Flip the housing back around the remove the screws for the gears:

j

• Like 2

Flip the housing back around the remove the screws for the gears:

IMG_20170113_201347675

Pull the gear off and keep things clean!!

IMG_20170113_201403382

The last step in the equation is getting a replacement bearing for the new metal housing, I will source one from someone locally, and press it in the new housing.

IMG_20170113_201221174

IMG_20170113_201216005

• Like 3

Also, I transferred the screws I removed from the saw over to the new housing, to avoid losing any. They will have to cut new threads into the housing, so there was some resistance.

The 7-1/4" saw was a breeze, The dust port itself attached onto the outer guard with a screw from my impact driver's bit holder that I never used.