broken tough system boxes

mohawkdec

was wondering if any body has ever had to replace the plastic locking tabs on the tough system boxes,[ the ones that lock the boxes toghther] i have a couple of boxes that need repair, i really like the new metal pin style they have on my new tough system radio, cant seem to find any replacement parts on the dewalt site

• Like 1

was wondering if any body has ever had to replace the plastic locking tabs on the tough system boxes,[ the ones that lock the boxes toghther] i have a couple of boxes that need repair, i really like the new metal pin style they have on my new tough system radio, cant seem to find any replacement parts on the dewalt site

They're lifetime guaranteed. Call DeWalt Monday and they will mail you a pack of them.

I love the metal ones too. I can't seem to figure out if they will go in the tough boxes though.

• Like 6

On July 16, 2016 at 4:33 PM, RickyMcGrath said:

They're lifetime guaranteed. Call DeWalt Monday and they will mail you a pack of them.

I love the metal ones too. I can't seem to figure out if they will go in the tough boxes though.

Mr McGrath to the rescue.. I love this forum! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dano_uk said:

Something fell on one my tough boxes today and has made a hole in the top, surely this isn't covered under lifetime warranty?

You never know. Give it a try. What can it hurt . 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/16/2016 at 1:28 PM, mohawkdec said:

DeWalt is great with customer service and I'm betting they will send you a new one if it broke.  

• Like 1

I haven't had this issue yet, but did somehow break a piece of plastic off of one that doesn't affect function or compromise the IP rating.  Also, one of the metal latches broke loose after I stumbled and grazed it one evening (it wasn't latched shut).  This broke the plastic that retains the latch but I managed to reattach the latch.  Considering I've barely used the DeWalts but have used and abused the Ridgids without an issue for three years, I'm kind of disappointed.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2016 at 2:17 PM, mohawkdec said:

i did contact dewalt, they told me i have to pay, which i dont have problem with, doesnt seem to be any kind of waranty on the tabs, 7.98 each. [ for plastic ] lol

This tag is hanging off one on my new boxes. I would not be happy with paying $8 to replace a plastic tab that can't hold up to daily use.

IMG_7953.JPG

Edited by Ric.M
  • Like 2

i took the two metal pin ones off the tough system radio and put them on one box and they work fine.i did a live chat thing with them just last week, metal pin ones are unavailable ?, and the plastic ones are on back order. they never broke from carrying, i had five of them stacked together on the jobsite, and they got knocked over, the top three boxes broke the tabs on the box that was attached too it, then same thing happen in my van. they work for what they are intended for, they just cant take much abuse. i still havnt giving up on getting the metal ones, dont know what they.cost. my local runnings store has the new tough box that is attached to a wheeled cart, and that one has metal pins also of yet another style. i just seen those a few days ago. im going to inquire about getting those. the radio still has the best style .Iim going to inquire about the warranty thing, and see if i can work out a deal for the metal ones, i reall dont want the plastic again if i dont have too. ill pay for an upgrade

i still think the tough system is the best out there, all companies have issues with there plastic boxes, i have two milwaukee hard boxes that hold my m12 fuel system and one locking tab broke in the cold when i slapped it shut. My buddy has all festool with their systainer system, and he had one box actually crack on him when it was in his van. job site and travel are rough on them.all my old electric tools came with metal boxes that still work today/ but i prefer the good plastic over the metal ones, it took me awhile too accept that, but they dont dent, rust, and they are weather proof, while still being affordable.You can still get good metal ones that do the same but they will cost you an arm and a leg

On 3/10/2017 at 9:03 PM, snohiker said:

I have a broken latch as well but it's the one that hold box to the rack, the spot were the latch attaches to on the box broke , oh ya it's one of the parts organizer boxs

To Hear Dewalt isn't repairing tough system with its lifetime guarantee and charging for parts is very disappointing.

A quick story... 

Purchased a Ruger AR15 a couple years ago had an issue a few months ago where the gun needed to be send in to Ruger. Only info I had was the serial number on the rifle. They send me a pre paid box to shop the rifle overnight to them(free). Repaired, and cleaned the rifle to show room condition, included a bunch of goodies( cleaning rags, stickers, magazine) then shipped in back to me overnight the next day (free). Got gun back and didn't even recognize it looked brand new. Never asked for credit card and never charged me a cent. 

What brand of guns do you think I will purchase for the rest of my life ?

And to top it off Ruger doesn't have a written warranty they just stand behind their products 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my DS450 is no longer IP65 rated...  I've spent the past couple of weekends hanging drywall and used the holiday combo to transport my tools.  Batteries amandd charger go in the DS130, hand tools in the DS300 and cordless tools in the DS450.  

Since buying it the handle pulls out further than it should on one side.  A few days after getting it the spring on one of the side handles stopped working.  Then I accidentally brushed one of the lid latches and broke it off, but managed to reattach it.  

Anyway, I had a teenager helping me out, and rather than carry the loaded box by its top handle, he used the side handles.  Sure enough, it broke off, cracking the side a bit and putting a hole in the box.  I tried contacting DeWalt last weekend to see if it can be warranted, but was unable to submit the question.  I'll try again tomorrow and post the results here.  I highly doubt the box was even close to its 88 pound rating.  It held an assortment of 20v Max tools and a few smaller handtools in the tray.

• Like 1

One of my 300s has a crack in the shell and if you want to be realistic you need to accept that many of these boxes aren't as weathertight as they want you to think they are. Plenty of mine seal well enough (and certainly better than competitors) but I think the pressure relief valve is a bit of a joke unless you're taking them on a flight or something. Pelican cases, they are not. They are high quality affordable boxes though. They even hold up well enough to getting tossed around in Canadian winters lol and that will usually crack plastic boxes with ease. 

Well, I received a shipping label to send my box back.  Now I just need to find a cardboard box large enough to ship it in.  Hopefully DeWalt warranties it, but regardless I'll post the outcome here. 

• 2 months later...

So, I shipped it in early May and just received the replacement last week.  DeWalt actually shipped the new one within days of the broken box arriving there, but I never received notice, so it sat in my rental office for almost a month.

All interactions with DeWalt were great, though, and they honored the warranty without any questions.  Now I just need to load this box up with tools.

• Like 1