Best drill bits for wood?

Cademan1745

How much are you looking to spend? For $100 you can get some great USA made bits that really do out perform all the big name power tool brands' bits. It's an investment but the first time you drill through a 2X4 almost instantly you'll wonder why you waited soo long.

If you're looking to spend less the new Milwaukee Shockwave bits get good reviews and I previously did enjoy my Dewalt bits. Some of the Dewalt bits are on sale at Lowe's. I think Bosch has some drill bits on clearance at Lowe's also.

• Like 1

Chicago Latrobe or CLE Line. Of course $100 is for a rather full set, you can find them cheaper within those brands based on size and coating. Keep in mind that the big tool brands have rather limited sizes in their sets and often have repeat sized bits.

I also have some higher end Mac Cobalt bits which are like $300, I don't think those are worth the extra money.

27 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Get brad point bits for smaller sizes and forstner bits for larger sizes, these should never be used in metal though so keep your ryobi twist bits for that.

This advice applies if your looking for great precision, not great speed. Depends what you want to do with them...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:52 AM, pancing said:

Just bought these with the $15 off $50 promo. I must say, these are really nice drill bits. I am going to really like these.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2016 at 2:16 PM, The.Handyman said:

Just bought these with the $15 off $50 promo. I must say, these are really nice drill bits. I am going to really like these.

yeah i just bought them too, same deal.

On 7/30/2016 at 9:33 AM, WigWagWorkshop said:

I like my DeWalt drill bits, paddle bits, and Porter Cable forester bits.  I been extremely happy with them.

The forstner bits? oh man i bought them when they were on clearance for 14$ I've been using them on my cordless drills (even though they're made for presses) and they cut like a dream on high. I dunno why people bitch about them, yeah they're not super sharp and theres slag, but after a few minutes with a rotary tool they're super sharp and slag free. For 14$ i cant complain for a full set, even 39$. Hell a full set of wood owl bits is around 180$ i scored bigtime with these.