Vintage Hack Saw Blades?

redmed

I have this hack saw (or utility saw?) that I got from my father. This has been a handy little saw over the years, but now there is a split in the blade making it much less stable. I have been looking for a source for some new blades for it but so far have struck out. Anyone know of what brand of saw this is?  More important where I can get some new blades for it?

HackSaw (2).JPG

HackSaw (3).JPG

HackSaw (4).JPG

13 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Looks almost like a recip blade cut down. Maybe you could make one with a few minutes on a grinder.

I have thought of modifying a reciprocating saw blade but so far all have been just a tad too wide. Less than 1/4" that I could grind off. But then there is the tang at the rear of the blade. My guess is that grinding would alter the temper of the blade. Unless I grind a small amount at a time, but patience is not one of my strong points and I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to snap off the tang.

4 hours ago, redmed said:

I have thought of modifying a reciprocating saw blade but so far all have been just a tad too wide. Less than 1/4" that I could grind off. But then there is the tang at the rear of the blade. My guess is that grinding would alter the temper of the blade. Unless I grind a small amount at a time, but patience is not one of my strong points and I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to snap off the tang.

Remember temper on the section you're grinding doesn't matter because its in the handle. You should be able to protect it by just dunking in water to cool every time you notice the water from the last dunk steaming off. Its quicker to cut off the tang with an angle grinder or even dremel.

53 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Remember temper on the section you're grinding doesn't matter because its in the handle. You should be able to protect it by just dunking in water to cool every time you notice the water from the last dunk steaming off. Its quicker to cut off the tang with an angle grinder or even dremel.

Good point.  I'm going to try cutting down a Diablo sawzall blade. But first I'm going to check to see if Stanley or Kobalt keyhole saw blades will fit.  I measured the blade and it is 18mm or 13/16" wide.