Milwaukee surge

joemontague

4 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I am just a lowly electrician, can someone please explain why the hell this is appealing? 450 in-lbs? Where would such low torque be a good thing?

I see the the DTD170z and that makes sense to me, but oil impulse reasoning eludes me...

4 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Agree with @HiltiWpg. If I needed quiet I'd use my drill Driver same as I always use to. Best as I can tell this is halfway between a drill driver and an impact with the power of neither. 

The torque is important for breaking away bolts. The impact energy is important for screws in wood or sheet metal and no one lists that. It's a little bit higher for impulse drivers than impact drivers which is compensated for by fewer impacts per minute do the output power of an impact driver and impulse driver is in the same ballpark. If youre breaking bolts you really need an impact wrench, but for screws the impulse driver is about the same.

The overall torque is lower.

Torque is the measure of rotational power. Whether it's lower IPM and higher Impact force or Higher with lower force, the torque is the output.

Regardless of what is happening inside, the ability to fasten or loosen is lower.

450 In-lbs is not anywhere near the same as 1400+ in-lbs. 

37 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

The overall torque is lower.

Torque is the measure of rotational power. Whether it's lower IPM and higher Impact force or Higher with lower force, the torque is the output.

Regardless of what is happening inside, the ability to fasten or loosen is lower.

450 In-lbs is not anywhere near the same as 1400+ in-lbs. 

With impacr drivers / drill drivers i'd say you're correct.

But there is something going on with these impulse drivers. Makita's oil impulse drivers also only hjad low torque like the milwaukee surge but it still does pretty much everything my DTD148 does.

I cannot explain why but the Torque as it stands on impulse drivers cannot be compared to impact drivers. I know it sounds like bullcrap or something but untill you have tried it you cannot make up your mind about it :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Except at 450in-lbs, it's not as functional.

It's essentially turning an impact into a 1/4 drill driver, which already exists.

Most drivers are clutched giving them more control over torque than a 3 speed. 

Like me I said, I don't get it. If acoustics are an issue, there are solutions that seem just as viable.

•  

The compactness of an impact is a plus though.

• Like 1

As a guy who has spent too much time running and repairing hydraulic based equipment I have a hard time trusting the build on these early model machines to have any sort of longevity. Im guessing that maybe they'll last three years before the DOT 3 brake fluid they put in these leaks or destroys the internals.

The other specs look normal for an impulse driver, but 4000 impacts per minute is really high for an impulse driver.  The Makita lists 2700, Ryobi lists 2200, and Ridgid doesn't say so you know it's bad

Ridgid is weird with some of their ratings, it's actually not a bad driver over sheared quite a few bolts being careless with it, just heavy and bulky

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

As a guy who has spent too much time running and repairing hydraulic based equipment I have a hard time trusting the build on these early model machines to have any sort of longevity. Im guessing that maybe they'll last three years before the DOT 3 brake fluid they put in these leaks or destroys the internals.

Makita's first Oil impulse drivers I have been selling for 6 years now and never got a return on them :)   I'd like to say they're as duarable as a normal impact.

Korno. You are wrong. Right there Milwaukee says.....

MILWAUKEE SURGE FEATURES

• Fluid-drive hydraulic power train
  • Powerstate brushless motor “outperforms all leading competitors”
  • 4-mode drive control
  • Self-tapping screw mode for reduced walking and reduced overdriving
  • 0-3,000 RPM
  • 450 in-lbs max torque
  • LED worklight

Clearly Milwaukee smokes Makita ;)

8 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Korno. You are wrong. Right there Milwaukee says.....

MILWAUKEE SURGE FEATURES

• Fluid-drive hydraulic power train
  • Powerstate brushless motor “outperforms all leading competitors”
  • 4-mode drive control
  • Self-tapping screw mode for reduced walking and reduced overdriving
  • 0-3,000 RPM
  • 450 in-lbs max torque
  • LED worklight

Clearly Milwaukee smokes Makita ;)

Way to go, now I'll never know who to trust lol

Trust me, I take this with a grain of salt

1 minute ago, kruton said:

And if you ain't cooking with lard you are wasting your time baby!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mmmm good pie crust that way

• Like 1

That's a good point Jeff and I agree. It's the stuff that other makes don't really make, and halo products that get the most attention. Those nailers though, sheesh. You know it's bad when tool reviewers who get them for free aren't impressed. Dewalt has Milwaukee, Dwain and Hugh Jass to thank for me buying a Dewalt nailer.

• 2 weeks later...