12" Miter Saw Suggestions

Moose

The 780 seems to be consistently well rated all over the place, a guy my family had do 2300 sq of hardwood used one. He had positive things to say about it. The Milwaukee can be found for good deals usually because they aren't as popular, often a stand is thrown in. From what I've read on TIA and elsewhere from others is that it's a great saw, but quite heavy. The Bosch seems divisive. I've read good things but have also read too many people complaining of them being sloppy, etc. for me to give it serious consideration. I was planning on a 780 until FlexVolt was announced. Now it's either the 790 or the Fuel 10" for me. 

I think there are can be issues with bosch glide because its the first saw with that design, but when it works the action is so smooth even if you dont need it in a cramped workshop.

Yes, toyed around with one at Menards and it's alien in comparison to slider, but I could stare at it all day watching the arms move around and the action is a thing of beauty

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rrich1 said:

The new model Hitachi is on sale at Lowes for $370. Has a smaller footprint like the Bosch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

And it is $230 cheaper than the DeWalt. Thanks for posting, I will have to look at it.

• Like 1

And it is $230 cheaper than the DeWalt. Thanks for posting, I will have to look at it.

I bought the older version like 2 months ago but haven't used it yet from Lowes. I'd like to go check out the new model and see if it would be worth me returning mine for the newer version. Lol

After reading this thread I looked into the Hitachi C12RSH. It has really good reviews on Lowes, but it looks like they are replacing it with the C12RSH2, which is about 4 pounds lighter. One reviewer said it was cheaply made. It's hard to go by one review, but my instinct is that when a manufacturer comes out with a new model of anything without changing much, but the weight of the product drops 6%, I wonder how dropping the weight improved the product. With tools that are 50-70 years old, the common observation is that they were built like tanks and they lasted. Reducing the weight of this saw is likely not done as an "improvement" but more likely as a cost saving...

I'm thinking about getting the one C12RSH I found at a store close to me. It is brand new, for $369. I see online vendors selling refurbs of this saw for $370. 

• Like 1

After many years of use with Makita saws, ls1013 and 1016, always having s,all issues in QC, I decided to give the Dewalt 780 a try and must admit, it's really a great saw. It's nice having the extra capacity, simplicity's of features that work so well like the XPS lighting system for dead accurate cut lines. Motor has plenty of power, capacity of cutting is great. It stores very compact and was dead on out the box. I hated Dewalt saws for years but be changed my tune. I consider spending a bit extra on a saw if it's your bread and butter tool that you need it to perform day in day out. 

8 hours ago, Finishing_Edge said:

After many years of use with Makita saws, ls1013 and 1016, always having s,all issues in QC, I decided to give the Dewalt 780 a try and must admit, it's really a great saw. It's nice having the extra capacity, simplicity's of features that work so well like the XPS lighting system for dead accurate cut lines. Motor has plenty of power, capacity of cutting is great. It stores very compact and was dead on out the box. I hated Dewalt saws for years but be changed my tune. I consider spending a bit extra on a saw if it's your bread and butter tool that you need it to perform day in day out. 

Lowes is selling the DWS780 for $599 and giving you a free heavy duty stand. I'm not sure if it is the $200 stand, but if it is, you are getting the saw for only $400. Damn good deal. 

And the hitachi by me got sold. The only one they have is the floor model and they want $310, but it doesn't have the blade, the handle you use to move it left/right is broken, doesn't have the vise assembly or the holder attachment. You would have to spend about $90 to replace all those items. Not a good deal...I passed. 

Lowes is selling the DWS780 for $599 and giving you a free heavy duty stand. I'm not sure if it is the $200 stand, but if it is, you are getting the saw for only $400. Damn good deal. 

And the hitachi by me got sold. The only one they have is the floor model and they want $310, but it doesn't have the blade, the handle you use to move it left/right is broken, doesn't have the vise assembly or the holder attachment. You would have to spend about $90 to replace all those items. Not a good deal...I passed. 

Why not just order it online and ship to store. Just because the new one dropped weight doesn't mean it is made more cheaply. Metals get better, lighter, stronger.

I went ahead and used mine for the first time today. Worked fantastic with the Freud industrial blade I bought for it.

On 8/31/2016 at 11:08 PM, Moose said:

I am in the market for a 12" sliding compound miter saw. I have looked at the Milwaukee, DeWalt (DWS780) and the Bosch Glide saws.

Anyone of you have first hand experience with any of them?

I have the Bosch GCM12SD 12" miter.  Great saw but heavy.  Plan on getting the Bosch miter stand T4B to transport it because it is backbreaking and very awkward to carry.   I recently purchased the Dewalt 20v max cordless miter and love the stainless steel miter detents.  The bosch actually had plastic detents which you wouldn't expect maybe to cut down on the weight.  I believe the Bosch is around 68lbs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, npcnj8 said:

I have the Bosch GCM12SD 12" miter.  Great saw but heavy.  Plan on getting the Bosch miter stand T4B to transport it because it is backbreaking and very awkward to carry.   I recently purchased the Dewalt 20v max cordless miter and love the stainless steel miter detents.  The bosch actually had plastic detents which you wouldn't expect maybe to cut down on the weight.  I believe the Bosch is around 68lbs

Good grief that's stout. I personally use my 20v cordless miter about 80% more than my 780, but having both has saved my ass many a times. The capacity for the 780 is amazing and the portability of the 20v is as well. There's a few things I'd do different with the 20v, can't stand how weak the XPS light is...but overall the combo is awesome to have.