Cordless Miter Saw - Dewalt Flex Volt or Milwaukee

Eric - TIA

As you know Dewalt just came out with their cordless miter saw, the Flex Volt.  Milwaukee just came out with their cordless miter saw and the 9Ah battery.  Just want to hear all your opinions on which saw you would get.  We just had the chance last week to look at them both. There are pro's and con's to both.  Just want to hear everyone's feedback.  Do you own one?  If you bought one, which would you go with?  Just curious.

• Like 1

Dewalt. DWS780 as mentioned is a legendary monster, check. Dewalt's 9ah batteries are built with better cells, check. 120v power, check. Greater cut capacity due to larger size and design, check. 

The Fuel...well, I like the color. I also give them props for ripping off the XPS light system from Dewalt, bout time somebody nutted up and moved in the right direction and got rid of those crap lasers.  

• Like 1

Nobody is even mentioning the newer smaller miter saws. Lugging a 56 pound saw into a job site for cutting big wood might be a great idea, but for those who are just doing trim work carrying in a 30 pound DCS361 and a DWX723 stand at 35 pounds or DWX724 stand at 30 pounds might be a better option for the same weight especially if you are lugging it up and down stairs. It is not like you need tons of power to cut most trim and you can use one of the Flex Volt batteries to make it last a good long time. On a job site cutting big wood, the big saws are nice, but for trim they are overkill and overweight. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

Nobody is even mentioning the newer smaller miter saws. Lugging a 56 pound saw into a job site for cutting big wood might be a great idea, but for those who are just doing trim work carrying in a 30 pound DCS361 and a DWX723 stand at 35 pounds or DWX724 stand at 30 pounds might be a better option for the same weight especially if you are lugging it up and down stairs. It is not like you need tons of power to cut most trim and you can use one of the Flex Volt batteries to make it last a good long time. On a job site cutting big wood, the big saws are nice, but for trim they are overkill and overweight. 

Sure, but Eric was just getting input about the two that are in the spotlight at the moment, just saying...

Wrong line of work for me, but I've seen accounts where the Milwaukee can't bevel all the way 45 degress to the right, you would have to take off the fence for that. It also can't do a miter and a bevel toward the left or something else.... Yes I'm getting this from Instagram LOL

Eric if you get a chance, find out if yours can do that or not.

From Keifer (toolaholic) on the Milwuakee Miter:

"Issue one: the right fence needs to be completely removed to bevel 45* at 0 miter. (A 90* cut) if you leave the fence on, it will not clear. Many saws suffer from this issue, but lets avoid getting into that discussion as its clear this saw is pretty much going to be compared to the flexvolt saw, which just needs the fences slid over. The only reason this is worth discussing is that sometimes fences can be lost/dropped and then damaged.

The left fence will clear if you bevel 45* left, but once you combine 45* left bevel with 30* or more left miter, it will hit. To sum it up, both fences need to be completely removed to fully utilize the saw. If you need to bevel/miter to the extremes on the flexvolt saw (compound miter) the fences also need to be removed

Second issue: deflection - Due to the design of the rails, and the length of the arm from the rail connection to the handle, its very easy to torque the arm in either direction. Im using very minimal force to move the head 3/8" at its furthest point. Also there is no way for me to be "biased" in this test, because the bevel lock is automatic. There is no way to increase clamping force."

6 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I wanted to ask @ChrisK about his Kapex, there was some blurb about it not able to to a compound cut one way or the other without removing the fence entirely, would be interested to know if you know that's common or not

i have to slide my fence all the way over but not off for the maximum compound cuts. This is a typical Festool video but it really shows the capabilities of their machines (the Kapex in this case). Personally...if I had had the expendable cash at the time,  I would not have hesitated. The dust collection is really awesome as well as tons of features including the micro adjustments and locks for cutting trenches but I bought mine because I got it for half off. That's the simple truth, for all of the features which I believe far surpass the other machines out there, it still has a few things (like the XPS....seriously, the best lighting system out there) that some of the machines do have. I will say, cut capacity is way more than you would expect from a 10" machine and is able to do what most 12" saws can do and for a small weight. Throw in DC and it's the perfect finish machine or indoor shop machine. I had made the decision to go with another saw when I happened upon the deal. I will tell you, the saw is simply amazing but pretty much if you have to make an extreme compound cut, the fence has to be slid almost off the rails to accommodate them. 

I am am still serious about getting the Flexvolt too, having a cordless miter would be pretty sweet but I wouldn't be getting rid of my my girl! Of course it would cost more than I paid for my Kapex :(

• Like 1

On September 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM, BMack37 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Milwaukee came out with an M18 AC adapter for this.

I would be. The FlexVolt AC adapter isn't connected through the battery pins, it's a standard grounded plug that plugs in in between the battery pins and the rest of the adapter covers/protects the battery terminals. Could be different solely because of the double battery setup, but I'm skeptical. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marsh942 said:

What about buying the DCB1800 when it's out, a heap of batteries and using that to power the kapex? "Cordless" kapex anyone?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already already there bro! Saving my piggys as we speak!!!!!

• Like 1

On 9/5/2016 at 0:34 PM, BMack37 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Milwaukee came out with an M18 AC adapter for this.

17 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I would be. The FlexVolt AC adapter isn't connected through the battery pins, it's a standard grounded plug that plugs in in between the battery pins and the rest of the adapter covers/protects the battery terminals. Could be different solely because of the double battery setup, but I'm skeptical. 

They may have done some black magic in the driver circuit to allow it to run straight off rectified mains power, but otherwise 1080W (60A at 18V or 15A at 120V come out the same) from a supply requires a transformer around 100in3 which is a very expensive and heavy power brick.  Basically if a motor needs power converted for it, the transformer needs to be around the size of the motor, unless of course it's the same voltage like Dewalt or the electronics use the motor itself for power conversion.

tldr: Possible, not probable.

That said I really want this.