Cordless Miter Saw - Dewalt Flex Volt or Milwaukee

Eric - TIA

• 2 months later...

First post here, and I figured I'd bump this thread with my questions instead of making a new one. 

I was looking at getting the flexvolt miter saw come Black Friday from The Home Depot with it being $599. It's probably a bit much for me starting off (woodworking, projects around the house), but I don't want to have to ever replace this thing and I feel like the flexvolt would be the better option with the adapter making it corded if/when dewalt goes away from the flexvolt battery design. 

So I have a few questions. Has anyone's opinions changed after a couple months of use of either of these saws? Does anyone regret their decision picking one saw over the other? And with the flexvolt being the same price as the Milwaukee saw, would it be stupid NOT to get the bigger saw for those moments it might come in handy? 

Thanks!

which kit did you look at? power adapter only? battery and charger only? battery, charger,and power adapter? is it the 12 in fixed or 12 in sliding? Both the Milwaukee and Dewalt are good saws. From what I've heard the Milwaukee saw is good but has some shortcomings/flaws that are hard to overlook. Also heard the Dewalt 12 in sliding is just like the legendary 780 except with a brushless motor and ability to run corded or cordless. I thought I heard the fence of the 790 was not as good as the 780 but I could be mistaken.

The Black Friday sale is the kit with the batteries, adapter, charger and I'm looking at the slider. Didn't realize they made a fixed flexvolt. While overseas, I used the 780 a lot and really enjoyed it. And after reading about how the flexvolt is that minus a cord, it sounded great. Just at $100 more, I really couldn't justify it. But now that It's $599 with all of that (and I'm fairly sure I read the ad right, you get an extra battery free with the sale), it sounds tempting. And being the same price as the Milwaukee, I'm wondering if it's stupid to not invest in the bigger capacity saw. I'm also trying to see if it's holding up well in the real world and how the Milwaukee is doing as well. 

31 minutes ago, Jronman said:

@CoreyR I tried looking for the deal but couldn't find it. mind posting a link to the deal?

It looks like Home Depot has been getting people to take down their ad. This is the only link I can find that's still working. Deal is on page 15. 

If posting this isn't allowed due to them asking people to take it down, let me know and I'll delete it. 

http://i.gottadeal.com/blackfriday/scans/pdf/GottaDeal-HomeDepot-BF2016.pdf

• Like 1

I think I have found a better way to acquire a deal on the DHS790AT2 flexvolt saw kit. Acme tools is offering the saw for $599 but they arent taking it down. Home depot on their ad had a brief statement on the last page that says "if anyone tries to go lower, we will beat their price by 10%" So I was thinking I should go to Home Depot, show them the Acme ad then get an extra 10% off of the $599. If I figured this right I could get the saw for around $540. Thats quite the deal.

18 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I think I have found a better way to acquire a deal on the DHS790AT2 flexvolt saw kit. Acme tools is offering the saw for $599 but they arent taking it down. Home depot on their ad had a brief statement on the last page that says "if anyone tries to go lower, we will beat their price by 10%" So I was thinking I should go to Home Depot, show them the Acme ad then get an extra 10% off of the $599. If I figured this right I could get the saw for around $540. Thats quite the deal.

Technically $599 isn't lower because that's what Home Depot is offering, so I don't think this will work for you unfortunately. 

And I also saw you say that Home Depot took their deal down in the Black Friday post. Is that just because they had people take the ad down until Black Friday? Or did you see/hear something different?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CoreyR said:

Congrats. I'm stilling debating with myself whether or not I really need this saw. Or if a cheaper one will suffice my needs. 

You have to do the cost/ benefits analysis on that one. Just doing the comparison with DeWALT's products, you can get the big corded/cordless saw for $599 (DHS790AT2 at Home Depot) with no stand, you can get the big corded with stand for $599 (DWS780 + DWX723 at Lowe's). You can also go for the DCS361 cordless 7 1/4" slider for $299 (bare tool at Lowe's) or $349 (with one battery and charger at Home Depot) neither of which comes with a stand, but there are several stands on sale in the black Friday sale fliers. There are also plenty of other models/ choices in between. The bigger saws go about 60 pounds for the saw alone and the DCS361 comes in at about 30 pounds.

If you are not going to lug it around, the bigger corded probably offers the best value at the moment, If you are going to have to move it around, the smaller saw would be far more convenient unless you had to cut some pretty big crown or bigger lumber. If you are already running the Milwaukee batteries on other tools, that saw may make the most sense to you. I don't think you are going to go terribly wrong no matter which saw you buy.

• Like 1

I really want the Dewalt but the Fuel might win out. The 2x 9.0 fit better with my other tools. The value with the 790 in Canada is terrible. 780 for $600 with stand here and there. Fuel with bonus battery $900. FlexVolt kit with 2 batteries $1000 (recently dropped from $1100). Milwaukee corded 12" was just on for $400...

31 minutes ago, Grumpy MSG said:

You have to do the cost/ benefits analysis on that one. Just doing the comparison with DeWALT's products, you can get the big corded/cordless saw for $599 (DHS790AT2 at Home Depot) with no stand, you can get the big corded with stand for $599 (DWS780 + DWX723 at Lowe's). You can also go for the DCS361 cordless 7 1/4" slider for $299 (bare tool at Lowe's) or $349 (with one battery and charger at Home Depot) neither of which comes with a stand, but there are several stands on sale in the black Friday sale fliers. There are also plenty of other models/ choices in between. The bigger saws go about 60 pounds for the saw alone and the DCS361 comes in at about 30 pounds.

If you are not going to lug it around, the bigger corded probably offers the best value at the moment, If you are going to have to move it around, the smaller saw would be far more convenient unless you had to cut some pretty big crown or bigger lumber. If you are already running the Milwaukee batteries on other tools, that saw may make the most sense to you. I don't think you are going to go terribly wrong no matter which saw you buy.

My thinking behind getting one of the cordless ones was to get into the flexvolt line and have extra batteries for my other 20v tools. Also if I have to lug it around, it'll be nice not to deal with a cord and finding an outlet. And my other thinking was, I want to buy a really good one now that should last me a lifetime instead of a cheaper one that may not hold up overtime/may not be that great and I'll have to end up buying another. My problem is, I'm not sure I'll ever use it to its full potential and use it enough to justify the higher price, so a cheaper one might be the better option. I have a lot of projects I want to do, one of which includes crown molding. One of the cheaper ones I was considering was the new ridgid, but I keep reading about a bad wobble that you get with it, even with a better blade. That has me questioning the durability of that one. 

If I was in the industry, it would be an easy decision. But I'm thinking because I'm not, a cheaper one should hold up just fine. 

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

I really want the Dewalt but the Fuel might win out. The 2x 9.0 fit better with my other tools. The value with the 790 in Canada is terrible. 780 for $600 with stand here and there. Fuel with bonus battery $900. FlexVolt kit with 2 batteries $1000 (recently dropped from $1100). Milwaukee corded 12" was just on for $400...

If you are already loaded up on Milwaukee's cordless tools, I think it would be wiser to go that route. I wouldn't be surprised if they look at DeWALT's success/failure rate and customer happiness and see if they want to venture into a corded adapter/ inverter for their own saw. If you have some of the DeWALT tools as well, the Flex Volt might still be what you really want. You just have to look at your needs and the capabilities of both saws.  Not knowing where you are in Canada, another option for you might be to slip down into the US and pick one up at a Home Depot over the next few weeks, I don't have a clue as to what it would cost you on line from them. Good luck in what ever you choose to do.

10 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

If you are already loaded up on Milwaukee's cordless tools, I think it would be wiser to go that route. I wouldn't be surprised if they look at DeWALT's success/failure rate and customer happiness and see if they want to venture into a corded adapter/ inverter for their own saw. If you have some of the DeWALT tools as well, the Flex Volt might still be what you really want. You just have to look at your needs and the capabilities of both saws.  Not knowing where you are in Canada, another option for you might be to slip down into the US and pick one up at a Home Depot over the next few weeks, I don't have a clue as to what it would cost you on line from them. Good luck in what ever you choose to do.

A trip to the states isn't out of the question though I'm not sure how well it would work out financially, It's about 250 miles if I made it a trip from my sisters/brother in laws place some weekend.

as for which saw; I have about 10 20v Max/FlexVolt tools and a dozen M18. My yellow stuff is almost exclusively wood working stuff while my red stuff covers the spectrum from saws to grinders to impact wrenches. The FlexVolt seems like a saw with a longer lifespan, though Milwaukee seems to plan on supporting M18 well into the future.