Cordless Miter Saw - Dewalt Flex Volt or Milwaukee

Eric - TIA

I bought the milwaukee and returned it for the 790. Got the 790 for 599 for full kit plus a fre battery. Home depot honored a misleading flyer. Here is my take:

The milwaukee is not a bad saw. I think the decision boils down to ones workflow. I like to have 2 saws, 1 for finish and 1 for framing and exterior work and large stuff. When doing finish I tend to have a big setup, ie bench and dust collection so the battery and lightness of the milwaukee do not matter so much. I like the dewalt for outside work where cords are harder to come by and dust collection matters little. I do few quick carry up scaffold all around the place jobs where the milwaukee would shine, and its poor dust collection was a real downer. Knocks on the milwaukee, bearing play in fully retracted position, poor dust collection, limited cross cut capacity, tiny bevel scale, complicated to reset bevel stops, weak miter lock, overall quality doesn't feel as good as their corded 12". The good, soft start, shadow light, truly portable at 47 lbs, smooth slides. The 790, the bad, mediocre slides although its the type 20 definitely better than the type 1, big and borderline heavy(56 lbs), not true soft start but almost much better than the 780. The good, capacity- amazing, corded and cordless workflow, very easy adjustments and super easy to use, shadow light, better power than 780.

Final shots : blade change on milwaukee is easy peasey, the dewalt is same old cumbersome crap. The ability to plug the dewalt in when in my shop and set up on jobs is key as the longevity of the milwaukee batteries always being used is a consideration or maybe not.

I have a dewalt 717 for finish, its currently my favorite finish saw compromise until the kapex 2 is hopefully introduced with some improvements and a more robust motor.

• Like 3

Glass wrote-Got the 790 for 599 for full kit plus a free battery. Home depot honored a misleading flyer

Glass,

I got the Freeport HD to concede to the same deal on the 790 scms because of that ad. Fortunately, they were out out batteries. Their display model had a fair amount of head sway/deflection in the extended position. I tried the display at Westbury and it was the same. Since I'd only be using it as a trim saw, I had to pass when the Freeport manager called to let me know the batteries were back in stock. I really wanted this saw for an all in one trim solution. I'm sure it's fine for lots of things. I worry that it wouldn't be great for compound cutting large crown, or bevel cutting other large material on the flat because of the deflection.

Too bad there are no deals on the Flexvolt 12" CMS. I would've snapped it up. I ended up pulling the trigger on the 716XPS. I caught a price drop and the $25 off deal at Amazon. Three fiddy with 2 day prime shipping. It'll do 6 3/8" crown nested and 6 1/2" base standing against the fence. I'll be sticking with my LS1013 for oversize crown, skirting, etc. 

If you have a different experience than I've projected when you use yours, please post about it. I'm OK with being proved wrong. I'd be interested in finding out from a fellow pro how this performs in the real world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jronman said:

well tracking is now saying December 1st. No big Deal. I wouldn't even be able to unbox it until then.

apparently I typed in the wrong tracking number and it actually arrived today. Can't wait to get home on Thursday to unbox it.

• Like 1