Dewalt BL Drills DCD791 / DCD796 review

dwain

I had been considering the compacts vs the full size 996...I ended up going full size, just because for a few bucks more, I get more performance and I won't ever say "wish I had less power". I know it won't let me down. But, I ended up with something that is heavier than the compacts which would be a consideration if I was using it all day long. But, for the few holes I drill, I'm not too concerned about the weight. I just used it to drill 1/4" hole in steel gate latch. It went through it like butter. Pretty similar to the video. 

Do you think the compact will do 90% of what the average non-pro will ask it to do? Seems that way from your video. 

• Like 1

The 796 will do 90% of what a tradesman would ask of it, let alone a homeowner. I have a pair of compacts and a pair or the flagship drills from Milwaukee and Dewalt. The 996 is by far the heaviest of the bunch. I like it, but the 796 is probably my favourite of the 4 drills I own. 

10 minutes ago, Bremon said:

The 796 will do 90% of what a tradesman would ask of it, let alone a homeowner. I have a pair of compacts and a pair or the flagship drills from Milwaukee and Dewalt. The 996 is by far the heaviest of the bunch. I like it, but the 796 is probably my favourite of the 4 drills I own. 

I don't have many tools to chose from, so for me to "come up short" using a drill is not acceptable, since I don't have back-ups. So, I went for a drill that wouldn't leave me wanting. I know alot of you guys have tools galore, but I'm tool poor, so I have to buy quality and power since I don't have other options to fall back on.

I agree with you, it is heavy....but, I'll do a few more curls and eat my Wheaties. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eddie1976 said:

I don't have many tools to chose from, so for me to "come up short" using a drill is not acceptable, since I don't have back-ups. So, I went for a drill that wouldn't leave me wanting. I know alot of you guys have tools galore, but I'm tool poor, so I have to buy quality and power since I don't have other options to fall back on.

I agree with you, it is heavy....but, I'll do a few more curls and eat my Wheaties. 

Totally agree with you Eddie. When I started I bought the biggest/baddest as well. I wanted as many situations covered as possible, and then years later started filling in the holes in the collection with conveniences. I think you made the right call; the 3 speed transmission and e-clutch are awesome.